IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Spammers

solbjerg

It is funny that spammers select our forum as a prospective site.

They probably choose from popularity and as they comprise 20-25% of the users it will look more and more attractive to them as they continue to register.

Puts you in mind of the great crash of the market in the late 1920th (1929)

Machine intelligence perhaps? :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi sunny

We will! IObit is also implementing different measures!

But the problem for us is that it takes away the time we would rather use helping users with problems.

This is one of the true downsides of spammer fighting - which is essential to try to protect menbers from linking to dangerous sites

Any assitance in this area (answering problems posed by member/users) will be greatly appreciated :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

keep up the good work blocking the offenders

Hi solbjerg :smile:

I certainly don't wish to burst your bubble or anything like that.

The fact is, spambots hit all the forums and eat up a lot of bandwidth worldwide. The problem here : there aren't enough effective measures to block them at the door. I'm no forum software expert, not even close, but I do know about many forums deploying good counter measures against these bots.

We had a member here (maybe two) who posted links to tools available for vBulletin forums, to fight spam. Perhaps IOBit should ask for help with this matter, in order to block these pests from even posting once. If they can achieve this, the forum and its members would find peace again and be able to get back to the business of helping.

Good luck ;)

======

Hi So_sad

If you are referring to the "south sea bubble" I don't quite see the similarity?

Effective measures in my opinion will incorporate all nations to prohibit this form of advertising. And prosecute any offenders!

This will entail changing the laws in each country - an international law.

I like your intelligent respomce.

Cheers Solbjerg

Hi solbjerg :smile:

I certainly don't wish to burst your bubble or anything like that.

The fact is, spambots hit all the forums and eat up a lot of bandwidth worldwide. The problem here : there aren't enough effective measures to block them at the door. I'm no forum software expert, not even close, but I do know about many forums deploying good counter measures against these bots.

We had a member here (maybe two) who posted links to tools available for vBulletin forums, to fight spam. Perhaps IOBit should ask for help with this matter, in order to block these pests from even posting once. If they can achieve this, the forum and its members would find peace again and be able to get back to the business of helping.

Good luck ;)

======

The problem here : there aren't enough effective measures to block them at the door.

We had a member here (maybe two) who posted links to tools available for vBulletin forums, to fight spam.

Hi So_sad,

As an answer I will give you couple of figures.

Since September 06 2010, there were only 6 spammers able to post spams in IObit Forum.

Now, please concantrate your attention to the figure.

2146 new spammers have been staved/exterminated since September 06 2010.

6/2146= 0.00279

~%0.28 :lol: Not a bad proportion for 10 days attack, I believe.

FYI, every possible measure have been taken as far as this version of VBulletin allows.

There are other measures, but our dear members will suffer because of that.

Anyway, soon more effective counter measures are on the way. Let's hope that those wil not hinder non-spammers.;-)

Cheers.

I've already lost my signature, due to some of those measures. BOOOO-HOOOO !! (lol)

No wonder I have that face ;)

Those are good numbers I think. Keep up the good work !

And like I said, I'm no authority on this subject.

Less spammers mean we get to see more of you on the board. Is that good ?

Do I get cookies if I say yes ? :mrgreen:

====

Hi So_sad

I spread no cookies my friend!

I am not certain that seeing more of me is a good thing :-) But I will continue anyway :-)

Less spamming - a concerted effort to get them off the internet would please billions of people!!!

Cheers and greetings

Holger

I've already lost my signature, due to some of those measures. BOOOO-HOOOO !! (lol)

No wonder I have that face ;)

Those are good numbers I think. Keep up the good work !

And like I said, I'm no authority on this subject.

Less spammers mean we get to see more of you on the board. Is that good ?

Do I get cookies if I say yes ? :mrgreen:

====

Cookies... MMMMmmmm...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hsn677Ri4CE/R1VDnvnj5KI/AAAAAAAAAAs/l-NNd_6lJGU/s320/l_452b5abeb87a124beb5ab5c1e2df1ac3.gif

Having tough laws would be fantastic... and not just for spammers, but for all the crap pushers, botnets and the like. :evil:

===

First So _sad

I have no knowledge of how to send you a cookie personally - as I have explained before I have no affiliation with Iobit other than helping in the forum.

It would be really great if a concerted effort was made to get rid of all the spammer advertisements. That would make the internet faster and let us get on with "more important things"

I think we are on par on this subject - do you have a suggestion on how to achieve this?

Cheers

solbjerg

Cookies... MMMMmmmm...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hsn677Ri4CE/R1VDnvnj5KI/AAAAAAAAAAs/l-NNd_6lJGU/s320/l_452b5abeb87a124beb5ab5c1e2df1ac3.gif

Having tough laws would be fantastic... and not just for spammers, but for all the crap pushers, botnets and the like. :evil:

===

First So _sad

I have no knowledge of how to send you a cookie personally - as I have explained before I have no affiliation with Iobit other than helping in the forum.

I was just pulling your leg. And I know what your role here is, no worries :smile:

You could have simply said somethingl like : "Next time I bake a fresh batch of cookies I'll let you know just how great they taste !"

Hahaha...

And no, I have no idea how to go about getting law makers off their butts and talking with each other, across borders. Too many special interests, discrepancies (political, ethical, etc...).

=====

Ok So_sad

just keep pulling!

I would prefer pulling in the interest of getting rid of spammers! :-) my friend!

Cheers

solbjerg

I really am ingenouos :-)

I was just pulling your leg. And I know what your role here is, no worries :smile:

You could have simply said somethingl like : "Next time I bake a fresh batch of cookies I'll let you know just how great they taste !"

Hahaha...

And no, I have no idea how to go about getting law makers off their butts and talking with each other, across borders. Too many special interests, discrepancies (political, ethical, etc...).

=====

• 2 weeks later...

Have you guys noticed this ?

I did last week at one time, haven't looked since until today (now) :

Just look at the Birthdays at the bottom of the forum's Index page. Right now, there are three new members celebrating their 29th B-Day. All registered today or yesterday, with no posts. I saw the same thing last week, with 3 or 4 members celebrating a same birthday, freshly registered with no posts.

Coincidence ? Or something new (to me anyway).

====

Easy for some

What really annoys me is some of the comments, they basically say something like:

I had to spend many hours at my computer sending out spam to forums but now I can set it to happen automatically. This means I get more free time to spend with my family and friends while the forum moderators have to spend hours trying to stop and/or delete my spam.

I would like to say what I really feel about this 'tool' and the spammers who use it but then I would have to give myself a warning.

All the best, woz of oz (but not to spammers)

Ok, I get the picture now...

I've just Googled one of these new members and yep, multiple accounts created all over the place since yesterday : forums and blogs. Most if not all have 0 posts.

Some good and realistic info here :

http://www.imreportcard.com/services/xrumer

Yuck.

a simple answer to this..is a new account (no post) rid them within a week

filtered by non activate..or log in. if say thy are made.and not used within a week thy are simply abandoned,then rid them from the registry..and i mean non posters..by that i mean proper use ,as longing in and post.not just sit there as a member that is or has been abandoned...

we did this .and works rather well to rid the spam.or non interested accounts.

need help .ask i could if allowed sift them out for you..and rid dead accounts.

as it takes time.to sort them out..

itsmejjj

Better now

Hi guys :smile:

Things have happened, changes have been made, I can't say what has been done of course, but it's much better now.

The good news is, my coffee no longer goes cold while I fight spambots :mrgreen:

There might be the occasional human spammer join the forum and post spam but in that case there is no way we can know they are a spammer until they post the spam, then they will be picked up quickly and dealt with accordingly :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Things have happened, changes have been made

hi woz,

yes that is good,and like i stated this is a nice safe site...thanks to you and others,if at any time you need some help? i am willing and able to give that with all my effort,if so wanted.or needed..just a offer.to let you and the admins know..and remember i be very GLAD to help where i can..

but at the moment all is under control..and there are plenty of helpers..

and i think this will deter the unwanted.

itsmejjj

Hi Woz,

I still see those XRumer generated accounts being created (new members celebrating a 29th birthday lol) ; two of them showing right now and I saw another yesterday. I also realize that they can't post their junk, so that's alright.

Whatever you guys have done, it seems you can rest a bit easier now. That's great. Cold coffee blows :evil:

Keep at 'em, team.

===

Archived