IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Computer won't start after defrag

I am installing a new LCD in a customer's laptop, and I figured, hey, I'll run Smart Defrag on it while I wait for the display to come in the mail. The computer seems to be in good condition other than a shattered LCD. It wasn't showing any signs of failure until I ran Smart Defrag. It got part way through the defrag when I looked over and it appeared to be frozen. I couldn't do anything, including restart the computer properly. I can select icons, but none of them open. I let it sit for a couple hours before I killed it with the power button. Upon restart, Vista goes to Startup Repair. So I do a Sytem Restore and everything goes back to normal before I put it on there. So me being the curious person I am, I tried it again, with the same results.

I have installed this program on many customer's PC's with absolutely no problems. I am just curious what would cause this. I would hate to be working on a PC remotely if this happened. And thank god the Startup Repair was successful. I would have a hard time explaining to the customer why I reinstalled windows when he brought it in for a new LCD.

Update

Forget what I said about the Startup Repair working, that only worked the first time. Just after I posted, Startup Repair tells me it can't fix it. It appears it has corrupted the files so badly I have to reinstall Vista.

Normally I would think it is in the beginning stages of hard drive failure, but it had no problems before running Smart Defrag. What is going on?

I just remembered about a friends Laptop that had similar problems.

He first thought it was a hard-drive problem, but after replacing drive, they determined that something on the motherboard was sensitive to over-heating.

(probably south-bridge RAM)

They used a heat-gun to simulate in-case heat-soak.

Don't know if that's this computers problem but it's something to consider.

Archived