IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IObit products

floor tom

:-D

Hello All;

I just spent about $500.00 trying to get my older computer (4 years) up and running again. It kept shutting down, because it was overheating.

The computer store I went to kept telling me the computer needed this and that so I spent the money. However, the putter kept shutting down.

They were scanning for viruses and malware at their store using Webroot.

Still the putter kept shutting down. We moved the computer from the bedroom to the front room as it was on the phone circuit. The techs told us to do it. And it worked for a while. Then shut down and freezes started. The techs claimed they had done numerous scans for viruses and malware and could not find anything.

I went to Kim Kommando's site. Kim suggested downloading Malwarebytes, free version. I did so, and Malwarebytes found malware virus and killed it. I went back to the store and told them what I did and how the computer was running.

I was concerned about the amount of money I spent on this computer. In the end they told me the computer was old and told me I should consider buying another computer. I told them that I had trusted them when they told me it needed this and that and to use Webroot. In the end none of their suggestions worked and it cost me alot of money in the process. Their answer was that its hard to diagnose a problem. :x

I told them they didn't need to worry about working on my computer any longer because they did not fix the problem.

Anyway I have downloaded a number of free IObit technology and my computer has never run better. You gals/guys are great. God Bless.

Hi there Tom (<< guessing on your first name :wink:)

Your story isn't unique, unfortunately. It is sad though, spending this kind of money for "nothing", at a computer repair shop where techs swear up and down they know what they're doing.

Malware removal isn't something you can learn in regular schools or from books. The best trained people for this kind of work are found on forums.

Webroot antivirus is one of the worst performers I've seen, and their antispyware tool - SpySweeper - has gone from "Best" (2005-2006) to... not much since 2007. Their AV is powered by some Sophos engine and we had the opportunity to test it last year ; it failed against most of the recent infections thrown at it. Most shops know diddly about malware and will rely on one or two tools to try and identify infections ; this is widespread and many end up formatting the drive, not being able to fix the problem. Now this is where I get mad at some of these people : they should have quickly formatted your hard drive and charged you for that, anywhere from $75 to $150, depending on their rates and whether they back up your data or not, and your problems would have been solved. Cleaning the malware is often the best solution, but most shops can't do this because they just don't know how...

I have a nine year old machine still up and running here, so when they said your machine was too old, they were being idiots. I don't know if you can go after these people to get some of your money back ; If I were you, I'd just let them know they robbed you blind and that you'll spread the word to as many people as you can. That might get a reaction...

Do you remember what MBAM found ? Was it something like "TDSS" ? Just curious :wink:

====

I have a nine year old machine still up and running here, so when they said your machine was too old, they were being idiots. I don't know if you can go after these people to get some of your money back ; If I were you, I'd just let them know they robbed you blind and that you'll spread the word to as many people as you can. That might get a reaction...

yes and this is a sad story..but a lesion learned..hard tho...

when some one tells you your system is to old? well ether thy can or cant fix it..

shame on the ones that rip of the people who ask for help to fix one..

but yes i would certainly push for some of the cash back or report them ..

to a consumer affairs,and thy could look at this

even if nothing is done .at least thy have them on the bad list..

makes me angry thy do this to the costumers..any how

sorry to hear you got done...

itsmejjj

Archived