IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

GB 1.1 defrag?

blacksea

I wanted to defrag Counterstrike:Source which is located in the file 'Steam'. After the GB had analysed the file, it found a total of 3212 files. Of those file 3304 are fragmented?? But only 795 files are required to be defragmented. How can 3304 files be fragmented while there are only 3212 files. And If there are 3304 fragmented files, why only 795 are required to be defragmented?

Hi blacksea

I think you misunderstand the messages.

There are 3212 Files and 3304 fragments (there can be several fragments from each file)

795 Files needs to be defragmented, so the 3304 fragments apparently comes from just 795 files..

Cheers

solbjerg

I wanted to defrag Counterstrike:Source which is located in the file 'Steam'. After the GB had analysed the file, it found a total of 3212 files. Of those file 3304 are fragmented?? But only 795 files are required to be defragmented. How can 3304 files be fragmented while there are only 3212 files. And If there are 3304 fragmented files, why only 795 are required to be defragmented?

Hi blacksea

Files doesn't equal fragments (at least only very seldomly)

If you open a file there will be very many components in that file and some of them - especially the ones being used will not necessarily be dropped back from where they came, and this creates fragments.

This goes on all the time the computer is used and even if it isn't as long as it is on power and perhaps have some automatic functions.

Some fragments will be in use and therefore not be defragged but will be seen as some of the black dots, but after the use of that application that utilized those fragments is closed they will be counted as "normal" fragments and be defragged if one runs the defragging program again.

Best defrag is in my opinion to close all programs and then run the defrag with the option that it closes the computer when it has finished.

This will give you the least defragmentation at the start up the next morning.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

Aah, I counted every file as 'one' file. Didn't know they could also count as two or more. Thanks.

Cheers

Archived