IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defrag - mmc.exe error

lfme

I have ran every feature of Advanced System Care for an error I get each time I try to run a Windows Defrag on my laptop, the error which comes up is "mmc.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program". Before I installed Advanced System Care my laptop would start a Windows Defag and lock up after so long, and not finish the Defrag when I then closed the Defrag I got the above message. Once I had installed Advanced System Care I ran it and just about every feature of the program, now my laptop runs and finishes a Windows Defrag but on closing the Defrag window I still get the above message. I had the same problem with my desktop but but Advanced System Care has completley cured that. I am running a bought and paid for version of AVG Internet Security as my anti virus etc and run it on a regular basis. Please help

Hi lfme

What does Microsoft Management Console say if you write mmc.exe in Run?

The event log in services should not be able to stop, what does that say

services.msc in Run.

Do you still have the Windows defrag configured to run a scheduled defrag?

Cheers

solbjerg

I have ran every feature of Advanced System Care for an error I get each time I try to run a Windows Defrag on my laptop, the error which comes up is "mmc.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program". Before I installed Advanced System Care my laptop would start a Windows Defag and lock up after so long, and not finish the Defrag when I then closed the Defrag I got the above message. Once I had installed Advanced System Care I ran it and just about every feature of the program, now my laptop runs and finishes a Windows Defrag but on closing the Defrag window I still get the above message. I had the same problem with my desktop but but Advanced System Care has completley cured that. I am running a bought and paid for version of AVG Internet Security as my anti virus etc and run it on a regular basis. Please help

Hi lfme

What does Microsoft Management Console say if you write mmc.exe in Run?

The event log in services should not be able to stop, what does that say

services.msc in Run.

Do you still have the Windows defrag configured to run a scheduled defrag?

Cheers

solbjerg

When I put mmc.exe in run I then get a window called Console 1, inside that is another window called Console Root, and inside that there is a folder called Console Root, there is nothing in the folder?

I am not sure what you want from the Event Log, under Status it says "Started" and Startup Type is "Automatic"

As for Windows defrag I do not believe it is configured to run a scheduled defrag but I do not know where to check it, please help, I am running Windows 2000 Professional

Hi lfme,

Please try chkdsk /F from elevated command promt, restart the PC.

Then you can try sfc /scannow typing it into start=>Run and Enter.

You can find info in USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS thread and for sfc, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747.

You can also try Fixit from Microsoft.

Cheers.

I did chkdsk /F and there were no problems, when I put in sfc /scannow it came up with "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache, Insert your Windows 2000 Professional CD Now". I do not have a Windows 2000 CD, my laptop is a Toshiba Pro 6100 and it came pre loaded with Windows 2000 Professional and a Product Recovery DVD-ROM, I tried putting this in but it said it was the wrong disc. Have you any more ideas please?

Hi lfme,

Unfortunately I don't have Windows 2000 to work on, but if you can copy i386 folder to your PC and change the path for sfc to look for that folder in Registry, it should work.

You could change the path to Sevice Pack 4 too.

A good read about sfc is HERE

Cheers.

Hi Ifme

Do you have "tasks" in your OS?

The recovery disc you have, isn't there an option to check the installation in that?

Cheers

solbjerg

When I put mmc.exe in run I then get a window called Console 1, inside that is another window called Console Root, and inside that there is a folder called Console Root, there is nothing in the folder?

I am not sure what you want from the Event Log, under Status it says "Started" and Startup Type is "Automatic"

As for Windows defrag I do not believe it is configured to run a scheduled defrag but I do not know where to check it, please help, I am running Windows 2000 Professional

Hi lfme,

Unfortunately I don't have Windows 2000 to work on, but if you can copy i386 folder to your PC and change the path for sfc to look for that folder in Registry, it should work.

You could change the path to Sevice Pack 4 too.

A good read about sfc is HERE

Cheers.

Hello enoskype,

I did as you said with reference the "The good read about sfc" and i386 folder. My laptop now runs a sfc scannow with no problem so thanks for that, however, still no joy with the Defrag, I still get the mmc.exe error after I run Defrag. Any more ideas please?

Archived