IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SD Version-2, Changes & Improvements ?

What changes and Improvements have been made in Version-2 Beta of Smart-Defrag ? I could not find any Info about it anywhere.

Are All changes easy to detect or are there also file handling changes that are not visible (such as compressed-file ignore).

BTW - The beta 'Download Now' link does not work, as of 7:45CT 11-17-10 ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Toppack

IObit guy's message states that the version 2.beta will be released soon, so for the time being the download link points to its own post.

Notice please that it is a beta version!

Right click on it from time to time to see if it has been updated to the download link :-)

Then when we can download it I assume that there will be a "What's New" file that enumerates the changes :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

What changes and Improvements have been made in Version-2 Beta of Smart-Defrag ? I could not find any Info about it anywhere.

Are All changes easy to detect or are there also file handling changes that are not visilble (such as compressed-file ignore).

BTW - The beta 'Download Now' link does not work, as of 7:45CT 11-17-10 ?

• 3 weeks later...

So far, the changes & improvements Listed are these:

+ Boot-time defrag for system files, pagefile, and MFT

+ Improved defrag and optimization engines

+ New interface

+ New architecture and faster running

The first one is fairly Easy to understand

but the other 3 could Mean just about Anything :?: ;-)

More DETAILS Please. I Need DETAILS! :razz:

and I see Nothing about the compressed Back-up files Problem.

So, I assume that did Not get fixed :?:

The 'Download Now' Link still does Not work, as of 12-3-10

So, has the Beta been Officially Released or not :?:

Hi enoskype

I was of course interested in seeing how the boot time defrag worked, so I configured it for that purpose to start at every boot.

I also chose the option to run a chkdsk beforehand.

This all went well, but possibly one small glitch I think, I had chosen to have it generate a log of the action, but afterwards the Log folder was empty??

Even if my computer was ship-shape it ought to have said that I feel.

The interface is ok (it is readable :-) ) - they must have spent quite some time in making the small blocks very cube-like, but as enoskype said it was not a smart move to remove the possibility to change the colors of the legend.

An extra skin might also be good.

I suspect that they have released it a bit premature for the sake of the impatient :-) so we will probably see these functions being added soon. :-)

Generally though it seems to be a fine improvement of the very good old one!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi guys,

You can try it from the below thread, now it works. (Middle download link in MG.)

IObit SmartDefrag v2 Beta 1.0 Released!

Cheers.

I don't mean to be Negative but,

So far I'm not hearing details about any improvements that I wanted and needed, so I think I'll stay with Version-1 for now, on most of our computers.

You know how us 'Old Folks' get 'Set in Our Ways'. :lol:

I've still not installed v2 beta yet, since I would appreciate more Info first.

I get the Feeling that there Won't be any descriptive Details published about what other changes were made (other than boot defrag). At least I have not seen any on this forum.

I assume the programmers want us to 'Find Out the Hard Way'.:lol:

Hi Toppack

Prudent course of action :-) - BUT I seem to remember you saying that you had a "test" machine?

Cheers

solbjerg

I've still not installed v2 beta yet, since I would appreciate more Info first.

I get the Feeling that there Won't be any descriptive Details published about what other changes were made (other than boot defrag). At least I have not seen any on this forum.

I assume the programmers want us to 'Find Out the Hard Way'.:lol:

Hi Toppack

Prudent course of action :-) - BUT I seem to remember you saying that you had a "test" machine?

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, I plan to try it on my Test computer, but not the others yet.

I was just hopeing for more change Information First.

I think I'll have time to 'check it out' tomorrow.

I found time to Install it today and

WOW, she Looks Great :shock:

Very Clean and Professional looking, with great button layout.

I really like the adjustable-window-size feature, that v1.5 did not have.

I had no problems with loading v2 at the same time that v1.5 was loaded, which surprized me.

I'll have more time tomorrow to check it out more thoroughly.

My tests are looking good so far. (this is one result of note tho)

I have a drive that is 83% Full, with about 100.GB Free, that had not been Optimized recently and

I remembered that one problem reported, about v1.5, was that SD would hang up, thinking the drive was Too full, when that full.

I first ran 'Defrag' on it with No problems,

I then ran 'Fast Optimize' with No problems :grin:, altho it still took about 5 hours to complete. (I see No speed improvement there) :sad:

I then ran 'Full Optimize' with No problems :grin:, but it completed instantly. :shock:

(It also appears that there is better compacting of data position on drive, with less open gap areas, when Optimizing? Which is Good, if that is true?)

So, this 83% full drive did not have any problems, but I'm curious why 'Full Optimize' did Not find anything to optimize after running 'Fast Optimize'.

Are they doing the Same thing now :?:

(It appears that they Are)

It's my suggestion that the 3 options should be changed to only 2.

'Defrag' and 'Optimize'

Since there's definitely Nothing FAST about the option labled 'Fast Optimize', when it takes Hours to complete,

and the option labled 'Fully Optimized' is doing Nothing more than Fast-optimize does.

I don't think Others are needed anyway :?:

Hi Toppack

I tried - but I only had 300 fragments

Defrag only finished in 19 seconds

Fast Optimize finished in 3 minutes 40 seconds - (It optimizes too!)

Ultimate Optimize finished in 2 seconds - so Fast Optimize must be doing a good job :-)

Formerly Fast optimize was called Defrag&Optimize

The tests were run just after each other, so it doesn't really say as much as I would like.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I would take into account that your harddisk still is filled to the brim :-)

It's my suggestion that the 3 options should be changed to only 2.

'Defrag' and 'Optimize'

Since there's definitely Nothing FAST about the option labled 'Fast Optimize', when it takes Hours to complete,

and the option labled 'Fully Optimized' is doing Nothing more than Fast-optimize does.

I don't think Others are needed anyway :?:

Yes, to perform that test properly, a large Full drive that has not been Otimized (at least Not recently, with many read/write operations), is Needed.

(taking Hours to complete the optimize, like it would for a New User of the SD software).

Otherwise the full extent of what happens is not as noticeable.

I've also noticed that one of the Main reasons many people want to defragment their hard-drives is try to make an Overly Full drive hold MORE.

Therefore SD has been used and will continue to be used to try to Fix overly Full drives.

So, it seems essential that Large Full Unoptimized drive Testing Needs to be performed on SD software.

Hi Toppack

A defragmentation doesn't give you more space - it just moves the fragments so that you can get more contiguous free space - IF there is room on the disk for these maneouverings.

The less free space you have available can make the harddisk fragment that much easier they say.

If the harddisk has never been defragged before and if it is a very lange harddisk that is completely full it will not be able to defragment the disk.

If you have a little bit of space free (15%) and if it is a large disk and heavily fragmented it will as you say probably take several hours.

The curve of slowing down of the computers response time rises sharper and sharper the more fragmented the disk is, so in my opinion it should never exceed 5-10% fragmentation.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, to perform that test properly, a large Full drive that has not been Otimized (at least Not recently, with many read/write operations), is Needed.

(taking Hours to complete the optimize, like it would for a New User of the SD software).

Otherwise the full extent of what happens is not as noticeable.

I've also noticed that one of the Main reasons many people want to defragment their hard-drives is try to make an Overly Full drive hold MORE.

Therefore SD has been used and will continue to be used to try to Fix overly Full drives.

So, it seems essential that Large Full Unoptimized drive Testing Needs to be performed on SD software.

Hi Toppack

A defragmentation doesn't give you more space - it just moves the fragments so that you can get more contiguous free space - IF there is room on the disk for these maneouverings.

The less free space you have available can make the harddisk fragment that much easier they say.

If the harddisk has never been defragged before and if it is a very lange harddisk that is completely full it will not be able to defragment the disk.

If you have a little bit of space free (15%) and if it is a large disk and heavily fragmented it will as you say probably take several hours.

The curve of slowing down of the computers response time rises sharper and sharper the more fragmented the disk is, so in my opinion it should never exceed 5-10% fragmentation.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yep, we know that but the average New SD user Don't.

I'm Glad you Explained it again, so well, maybe they will read that and Not Blame SD when it doesn't do what they expected.

The test I did was with about 100.GB free space remaining, which is the problem area reported by many, with v1.5, including Myself.

This is the type test I would suggest, that could also be used to determine just how full a drive can be, with v2 beta of SD, before encountering a problem completing the optimize or defrag.

My test was with 466.GB Useable space and 387.GB Used space, which is 83% full, (if my calculator and my brain were still functioning properly).

I'm wondering how high that percentage can really go before SD v2 has a Hic-Up:?:

Hi Toppack

83% is pretty close :-)

It would be interesting to see if you can make it perform below the 15% free space, but I suspect it will also depend on the fragmentation level and the amount of very large files.

So I anticipate that it will take some time and be rather difficult to get an unequivocal answer.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yep, we know that but the average New SD user Don't.

I'm Glad you Expained it again, so well, maybe they will read that and Not Blame SD when it doesn't do what they expected.

The test I did was with about 100.GB free space remaining, which is the problem area reported by many, with v1.5, including Myself.

This is the type test I would suggest, that could also be used to determine just how full a drive can be, with v2 beta of SD, before encountering a problem completing the optimize or defrag.

My test was with 466.GB Useable space and 387.GB Used space, which is 83% full, (if my calculator and my brain were still functioning properly).

I'm wondering how high that percentage can really go before SD v2 has a Hic-Up:?:

my request

a) run in background means hide tray icon

b) arrange files according to layout.ini

c) files larger then {user defined} to end of drive

I'm curious:

Why you would Need for the tray-icon to be hidden :?:

What is the significance of layout.ini file in relation to improving the hard-drive access or operation :?:

Is that file part of the Microsoft Defrag program that comes with windows? If so, why would that be better?

Thanks,

I'm curious:

What is the significance of layout.ini file in relation to improving the hard-drive access or operation :?:

Is that file part of the Microsoft Defrag program that comes with windows? If so, why would that be better?

layout.ini

Every three days during system idle periods on Windows (XP, Vista, and 7), the Task Scheduler process organizes a list of files and directories in the order in which the file system accesses them during boot-up or application start, and stores it in a file named %windir%\Prefetch\Layout.ini. The Prefetch folder supports Prefetch (XP) and SuperFetch(Vista and 7) technology used to anticipate what items to load during system startup and speed up that process.

I'm curious:

Why you would Need for the tray-icon to be hidden :?:

can you tell me why you need tray-icon :?:

Archived