IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag Unusable

Hello,

I am a long time user of Smart Defrag and a huge fan of the product, however it has become unusable. This began with the last stable release, I have also tried the Beta with no luck. I am running a Windows 7 system with excellent hardware. I have no other software problems... only Smart Defrag. I have been forced to try other products but none compare to this one therefore I would like to find a resolution to the problem.

Basically when Smart Defrag loads it immediately locks up. You can click a button and 5 minutes later it registers. You click the drop down menu and 5 minutes or so go by then it drops. You then click and wait again for that to register. Once you finally spend an hour to get your options entered and click to start the defrag it begins the process, after the 5 minute click and wait. It never finishes though. It just seems to sit there and every five minutes or so it will progress by once file. Since I have just over a terabyte of HDD space on my system I anticipate the defrag to complete by the time Windows 27 is released.

Hi jburke

In my view there could be two things wrong.

Please report the amount of free space (in percentage please)

Or something could be wrong with your installation of the program.

In that case run a clean uninstall of the program - check if the program folder is deleted too - also check if it is gone in Documents and Settings.

Then install it again - you said you primarily used version 1.50, so just do that again (perhaps with a freshly downloaded version). Go through the settings and configure it to your preferences - then try running it again.

Good luck

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello,

I am a long time user of Smart Defrag and a huge fan of the product, however it has become unusable. This began with the last stable release, I have also tried the Beta with no luck. I am running a Windows 7 system with excellent hardware. I have no other software problems... only Smart Defrag. I have been forced to try other products but none compare to this one therefore I would like to find a resolution to the problem.

Basically when Smart Defrag loads it immediately locks up. You can click a button and 5 minutes later it registers. You click the drop down menu and 5 minutes or so go by then it drops. You then click and wait again for that to register. Once you finally spend an hour to get your options entered and click to start the defrag it begins the process, after the 5 minute click and wait. It never finishes though. It just seems to sit there and every five minutes or so it will progress by once file. Since I have just over a terabyte of HDD space on my system I anticipate the defrag to complete by the time Windows 27 is released.

Trusted by anti-virus/malware

Welcome to the forum jburke4 :smile:

I agree with solbjerg that a clean install is a good way to check but I would also like to ask if you have made changes to your anti-virus and/or ant-malware, this includes software updates etc.

Just a thought that the slowness might be caused by your ant-virus/malware using some form of HIPS to monitor everything that SmartDefrag does, from change of options to defrag and movement of files.

Check to see if SmartDefrag is 'trusted' software in your anti-virus/malware and allowed to run freely.

You could also try disconnecting from the internet (for safety) then shut down your anti-virus/malware and see if that improves performance.

If it does then it would be best to contact the anti-virus/malware company and explain the situation to them

All the best, woz of oz

Archived