IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

The year of the rat

solbjerg

Hi Tim!

Could the year of the rat equally well be named the year of the mouse?

As I understand it, the sign for mouse and rat are the same!

The population of both rats and mice goes up in good years when there is plenty of food, (this goes for the human population too), and in that context it is easy to understand that it stands for happiness.

cheers

solbjerg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello All

If anyone should be interested in knowing what sign the year have that you were born in, you can use this string in Excel to find out.

=CHOOSE(MOD(A1+8,12)+1,"Rat","Ox","Tiger","Rabbit","Dragon","Snake","Horse","Goat","Monkey","Rooster","Dog","Pig")&" year"

Select A1 in Excel and write the year of your birth.

Select B1 and paste the above string and click the green checkmark to the left of the equal sign.

Some languages may use semicolon instead of comma.

But in the English language the above string should work.

In Danish fx. it would be:

=VÆLG(REST(A1+8;12)+1;"Rottens";"Oksens";"Tigerens";"Harens";"Dragens";"Slangens";"Hestens";"

Gedens";"Abens";"Hanens";"Hundens";"Grisens")&" år"

I tried to make one with Chinese characters, and it worked by me, anyway at least you can see the signs.

=CHOOSE(MOD(A1+8,12)+1,"鼠","牛","","兔","龍","蛇","馬" ,"羊","猴","雞","狗","豬")&" 年"

Perhaps the commands should be Chinese, and perhaps the comma should be Chinese comma too?

=选择(取模(A1+8,12)+1,"鼠","牛","","兔","龍","蛇","馬" ,"羊","猴","雞","狗","豬")&" 年"

Enjoy

Cheers

solbjerg

猴 年

Hi Tim!

Could the year of the rat equally well be named the year of the mouse?

As I understand it, the sign for mouse and rat are the same!

The population of both rats and mice goes up in good years when there is plenty of food, (this goes for the human population too), and in that context it is easy to understand that it stands for happiness.

cheers

solbjerg

Thank you solbjerg,

It worked with this one and mine is Ox.:-P

So, I can be 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84, or 96 years old next year.:lol::lol::lol: (Certainly not 0 or 108. )

BTW, I don't have a green arrow in Excel 2003, but fx (insert functon) clicked to give the result [b1 shows the same : (Ox year)]

Long live solbjerg .

enoskype

Hi solbjerg,

Here is a little bit modified version of your string.

The reason of the modification is to try to solve the year nothing (none, non existent) situation.

Otherwise, if you enter the formula (string) before the birth year, the formula assumes as "0" year, and gives the Monkey year as the result.

The comma "," and the semicolon ";" issue depends which puctuation you are using for the decimal point in Regional and Language Options.

If the decimal seperator is "." then it is comma (,) if the decimal seperator is "," then it is semicolon (;).

Example1 : 1.32 =>comma(,)

Example2 : 1,32 =>semicolon(;)

Strings:

English Excel:

=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"",CHOOSE(MOD(A1+8,12)+1,"Rat","Ox","Tiger","Rabbit","Dragon","Snake","Horse","Goat","Monkey","Rooster","Dog","Pig")&" year")

Turkish Excel :

=EĞER(EBOŞSA(A1);"";ELEMAN(MOD(A1+8;12)+1;"Fare";"Öküz";"Kaplan";"Tavşan";"Ejderha";"Yılan";"At";"Koyun";"Maymun";"Horoz";"Köpek";"Domuz")&" yılı")

Cheers.:wink:

NOTE : If you open Excel file in the attached "Chinese Years.zip" file, in Excel of your own language, than the commands in the string will be shown in your own language (I hope). Then, you can change the names of the years to your own language.

NOTE2: Please note that the "spaces" just after "Ox and "Goat" in English and the "space" between "Ko and yun" in Turkish is a consequence of the structure of the Forum page layout, you have to delete those spaces in the strings if you copy and paste.

They should read as "Ox", "Goat", and "Koyun" respectively.

Chinese Years.zip

Great enoskype

Precisely what I was looking for - the string in native language - unfortunately no one have responded with a Chinese string.

Thanks

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

Here is a little bit modified version of your string.

The reason of the modification is to try to solve the year nothing (none, non existent) situation.

Otherwise, if you enter the formula (string) before the birth year, the formula assumes as "0" year, and gives the Monkey year as the result.

The comma "," and the semicolon ";" issue depends which puctuation you are using for the decimal point in Regional and Language Options.

If the decimal seperator is "." then it is comma (,) if the decimal seperator is "," then it is semicolon (;).

Example1 : 1.32 =>comma(,)

Example2 : 1,32 =>semicolon(;)

Strings:

English Excel:

=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"",CHOOSE(MOD(A1+8,12)+1,"Rat","Ox","Tiger","Rabbit","Dragon","Snake","Horse","Goat","Monkey","Rooster","Dog","Pig")&" year")

Turkish Excel :

=EĞER(EBOŞSA(A1);"";ELEMAN(MOD(A1+8;12)+1;"Fare";"Öküz";"Kaplan";"Tavşan";"Ejderha";"Yılan";"At";"Koyun";"Maymun";"Horoz";"Köpek";"Domuz")&" yılı")

Cheers.:wink:

NOTE : If you open Excel file in the attached "Chinese Years.zip" file, in Excel of your own language, than the commands in the string will be shown in your own language (I hope). Then, you can change the names of the years to your own language.

NOTE2: Please note that the "spaces" just after "Ox and "Goat" in English and the "space" between "Ko and yun" in Turkish is a consequence of the structure of the Forum page layout, you have to delete those spaces in the strings if you copy and paste.

They should read as "Ox", "Goat", and "Koyun" respectively.

Yes. Mouse, rat, mice for the first year in this circle. I'm not sure which one is better.

In Chinese story, the god "Yu Huang" divide one day into 12 part, each of them is 2 hours, they are called "子、丑、寅、卯、辰、巳、午、未、申、酉、戌、亥" time, but nowdays no Chinese people use it.

Chinese Years

Hi everybody,

Please find attached Chinese Year Calculation.zip with "Chinese Year Calculation.xls" in it.

If you open it in Excel , you can use it for 13 different languages.

The usage is really easy. Just enter a year in the left cell, and find out the corresponding Chinese year by clicking in the right cell, with 13 different language options.

Enjoy it!

Note: Please excuse me if some of the words are wrong, Google Translate is to blame!!! :razz:

It is based on original solbjerg's formula

Chinese Year Calculation.zip

Thanks enoskype!

Nice work!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi everybody,

Please find attached Chinese Year Calculation.zip with "Chinese Year Calculation.xls" in it.

If you open it in Excel , you can use it for 13 different languages.

The usage is really easy. Just enter a year in the left cell, and find out the corresponding Chinese year by clicking in the right cell, with 13 different language options.

Enjoy it!

Note: Please excuse me if some of the words are wrong, Google Translate is to blame!!! :razz:

It is based on original solbjerg's formula

• 3 weeks later...

Archived