IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IOBIT Security 360 clashes with Windows Defender

AndyM

I guess these 2 programmes are trying to do the same thing...

Windows XP

I have run Windows Defender for several years and it is now part of the furniture. I installed Security 360 and really liked it

However, I have hit a couple of problems

1. The IOBIT 360 executable started creating large peaks and trough in CPU usage - I rebooted the PC and it calmed down (the peaks and troughs were still there but not so significant)

2. MsMpENG.exe (Windows Defender) max'ed out on a number of occassions & dragged my PC to its knees. This process has never been an issue before.

As a result I have been forced to uninstall IOBIT Security 360 to resolve the above which is a shame as it looks good.

If the above is correct, is the plan to remove Windows Defender (which I would be reluctant to do) and replace with IOBIT Security 360?

Hi AndyM,

Windows Defender is known to use quite a lot of resources too, and trying to do similar things with IS360.

It is up to you, but I would prefer MSSE instead of windows Defender, and on my 2 different Xp Sp3 Pro Oss, one being virtual, MSSE (as an AV) and IS360 (as a malware security) are behaving very well.:-D

Anyway, soon IS 360 will be replaced by IMF (IObit Malware Fighter), so you can wait for IMF to finish the Beta phase and try it with Windows Defender and/or MSSE.

Cheers.

I had a new experience the other day when I installed Avira on a Win7 machine. Windows alerted me that Avira has a spyware module that could interfere with Windows Defender. I had not seen that before, on XP or Vista machines, with Avira and WD activated.

I ended up disabling WD on the Windows 7 machine, because I had another antimalware program installed anyway and didn't want / need any conflicts.

WD, for me, is not up with the times. MSSE would be a better option if protection from Microsoft only is desired.

There's no real need to "uninstall" Windows Defender either way, as it can easily be disabled. Can't remember where to find it in XP, but in Win7 it's pretty well hidden, so one needs to type "Defender" in the search box, it'll show so you launch it, then disable the protection module. That's it, the Service will be stopped.

===

Thanks very much for your replies.

I'm curious about MSSE - I've been with McAfee Anti-Virus for a number of years and I am very confident with it. Am I wasting my money?

Sorry to derail this thread - tell me to shut up if needs be :wink:

OK AndyM, half off topic, not way off topic :mrgreen:, but I have used McAfee for the last 10 years, and got rid of it last September owing to MSSE. I am not going to waste that money anymore. :lol: :razz:

The latest GUI of the McAfee Center was too inferior and harder to use to the previous one.

Although there were terrible times with McAfee because of the bugs when the main program was updated many times in time, I was happy with the AV side of it. But the resource hogging problem was uncomparable to any other AV program lately.

Cheers.

OK AndyM, half off topic, not way off topic :mrgreen:, but I have used McAfee for the last 10 years, and got rid of it last September owing to MSSE. I am not going to waste that money anymore. :lol: :razz:

The latest GUI of the McAfee Center was too inferior and harder to use to the previous one.

Although there were terrible times with McAfee because of the bugs when the main program was updated many times in time, I was happy with the AV side of it. But the resource hogging problem was uncomparable to any other AV program lately.

Cheers.

Thanks very much - I will not wander off topic in future posts!

Archived