IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Linux for Fun ?

Mr Bean

I have it ,(NOW)but as its not that important ,used the older version on Linux as I know its safe Hoped it would Work..

but you are right,I shall try that ..also bit lazy updating.that I do do when it crosses my mind

Mr Bean

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on a stick!

Well today I decided to try running Linux(unbuntu) on a Pen drive,see if it would be about the same as in speed..the Pen drive 8gb is not as bad as i was thinking.! actually not bad,

So how to go about it,here is what I tried with successes,and installed it today, AND HOPED IT WOULD.

So first thing was to format the pen drive,(normal by wi

n 7) A quick format that's all and make sure its clean, next step went to the Bois,added the pen drive to the booting menu in first place. then the CD ROM.and then the drives in that order.(start) on the boot line up.

reboot to be sure that my win 7 would boot normally.success

!

next step in with the Linux disk.(unbuntu) and run it to boot.when faced with the option to install the OS,ticked ok, answered, full install selected the pen drive..8GB and hit enter.BE sure ,?

no modem on,

it went ahead and installed pretty quickly. expecting at least 1/2 a Hour there about. TO be honest had No idea if it would boot,or I needed to point the system to the pen drives OS.by edit or using easy boot program..no idea,

any way as soon as it was finished boot as asked,the drive door opened took out the disk.and it booted.to my Suprize there it was.the LINUX MENU Brand new.and picked the first line.hit enter..now the speed was and is not fantastic,and took a while 20 seconds or there about.BUT not worried about that at all. and there it was.running! from the pen drive!

now updating ,to the latest available files.was a tiresome thing. 2 time it halted,thinking it would fail,but patience,and just restart the update.with out closing the windows,kicked of

as normal .but it took a near 3 hours!! to install the 380 gems and update the OS..

I decided to

clean up around the system,and put things in there proper place,watch the screen now and then,had about 4 coffees,and a sandwich,and kept cool and calm,when it showed a -

-red icon ,I felt disappoint,but did not give up patently restarted the process without loosing the last spot,and it fired up again.to my delight!

finally at last...it asked to reboot. and here we are posting with the new OS...

So why? would I run this OS from A pen drive..first reason,windows cannot see it.read from it nor get any thing to or from it...but the pen drive can! (Linux) I have been reading a lot on this,thinking why not try it..the 2 pen drives inserted ,one for storing files,,leave the OS pen drive empty as much as possible,

next reason the hard drive now not excisable from the net.our be tampered with (safety)

as thy need to be mounted first! there is no way thy can be seen,if you get broken into..

no info passed to the net as well.and most importantly its Linux free my hard dives just for the win Os..alone.no accidental mix ups..(files that I download or use for windows..

as its my Main OS..

using Linux its my extra hobby.and need to learn far more then I know at the moment..

study it daily experiment.and teach myself more.

all right its not super fast,now and then needs a few seconds on loading something.I can live with that .and this is my first time no filtering,from my proxy program(not installed!)

and is sort of rare.for me.I feel a little exposed,...

just the Linux fire wall that's it!! so why I am excited by this?

for Me personal a lovely pleasant feeling I achieved this..and now test it .get used to the idea, the other reason ,not a fan of drives used with different OS installed on them.

even if thy are 3 different drives,and if I do not want to use this one simply pull the pen drive out,boot from the hard drive windows 7..

I hope this is a good find and you may want to try it out as well.

please be aware tho it will install a Linux menu! and the win Os be at the bottom of the list.that's all

thank you again for your interest reading my posts on Linux..AS I learn more every day!

Mr Bean

be sure you backed the booting menu first with easy-BCD PROGRAM before you try this out...

I better post this warning..

if you the reader is thinking to try this be warned the system will not boot unless the Pen drive is inserted.!! be advised.

the only other way is start the hard drive from the bios.and select the drive,there

also it may fail.depending on set up/in the boot menu itself ..So long as the pen drive is in its place you boot normally select the drive you want to boot from

then when running windows you can pull the pen drive,out ,.if you want to.if say you are in a situation of ,when away and do not want the system used by any one,nice way of securing it from booting.by taking the pen drive out of the box..and be sure its in a safe place you know,do not lose it!!! or you can not get in your pc!!

Mr Bean

Windows 7 ---Do not use XP !! I hope you understood this..before trying??

I am assuming you tried it.

and now do not want it...

and to be able to get back to normal booting before this..was installed

remember you lose the ability to now boot from the Pen drive...

if that is what you want. then format the pen drive by windows Quick format.later.

the pen drive inserted boot.now start EASY-BCD

alright.you need the program Easy BCD and I also assumed you had this already? as posted by me ??? .no please download it,install this on windows.

1st ,now run it have a look at your system,FOR now Just take a look see.

working? OK .take a look at the caps and get the idea how,

I am posting this if you decided to try it .booting Linux from the pen drive..and can not restore the normal booting sequence.of your hard drive with out the pen drive needed.

WARNING DO NOT BE IN A HURRY PLEASE<

I am also amusing you know what you did,and read the above.trying the suggestion.

as in experimenting with different OS and drives .and found it interesting.

as with all 2 3 , boot systems there is a risk thy fail,sometimes not your fault! duel booting

can be risky in that one may fail to boot up, or cross drive files.if split on a drive .using win and Linux side by side.THO-MOST cases run without problems.but there is always the but.

one thing you should know that the boot menu is changed,! by Linux,(grub)

Linux and windows have there own booting menu .even when you select windows a menu applies for windows. and if you pick that opens its menu.

I prefer using enter OS ,LINUX or WINDOWS7 one on its own drive! safer and there should be no loss inured .

NOW I WORK THIS OUT.

still want to use the Pen drive? I certainly wanted that!

tried this and WORKS!!

simple.open Easy bcd find the and window select Linux grub 2 add this.

now reboot pick it and boot from the pen drive..

As I wanted to keep it..

Mr Bean

I do hope you are enjoying my findings,? as I learn more every day..

Ooooo Nice thread :) anyways, I've been looking at Linux for a long time now, and I first started with Ubuntu 8.04 but I've recently been looking into Fedora, Mint, Arch and Debian. And I've been having troubles on which I should choose. Which one do you think is the best?

hallow pspdude

nice to meet you.

this is what I would do and have been doing..when say one wants to use a version of Linux

download the ISO file ex pan that to a DVD, boot it first ,and take a look see,(no installing on a drive) then if one you think you may like test if for a week or so...

using a spare drive.if you do not have one may I suggest this.

get hold of a second hand drive.say visit your local PC center ask for a second hand one if thy have one.try to be sure its at least 100 GB or above,and if you do not know your self get them to install it in your box,this be used only for testing purpose a other way ? get hold of a second hand system,better still.or you may already have one? use that.or try the above,(please be very careful tho) be sure you want to install it on a pen drive.

As we all have different idea,s whats better,go to you tube and see the demos or look at the different offerings,I have and use unbutu,tried a lot of different ones,even the commodore Linux that I like , a huge download of 2 dvd, no 2 with the extras.. at the moment stuck on 10.10 of unbuntu.probably the better one that's made so far.and running 12+ as well on its own system.

I also use a cradle 4 of them one installed in the box.and swap as I want or insert the drive I want and boot trust this as Gods truth,I have 15 hard drives mostly 40 gig and 2 60 and

2 80, 3 200 GB drives.plus 3 above.

1 750 bg

2 Tyree bits as well each in this box

every time I vised my PC shop and markets grab one if I see one.any how

my advice test them out .and have fun doing it..

look not every one has the luxury in owing many hard drives so run it from the DVD ..

gives one a good Idea before installing..

hallow pspdude

nice to meet you.

this is what I would do and have been doing..when say one wants to use a version of Linux

download the ISO file ex pan that to a DVD, boot it first ,and take a look see,(no installing on a drive) then if one you think you may like test if for a week or so...

using a spare drive.if you do not have one may I suggest this.

get hold of a second hand drive.say visit your local PC center ask for a second hand one if thy have one.try to be sure its at least 100 GB or above,and if you do not know your self get them to install it in your box,this be used only for testing purpose a other way ? get hold of a second hand system,better still.or you may already have one? use that.or try the above,(please be very careful tho) be sure you want to install it on a pen drive.

As we all have different idea,s whats better,go to you tube and see the demos or look at the different offerings,I have and use unbutu,tried a lot of different ones,even the commodore Linux that I like , a huge download of 2 dvd, no 2 with the extras.. at the moment stuck on 10.10 of unbuntu.probably the better one that's made so far.and running 12+ as well on its own system.

I also use a cradle 4 of them one installed in the box.and swap as I want or insert the drive I want and boot trust this as Gods truth,I have 15 hard drives mostly 40 gig and 2 60 and

2 80, 3 200 GB drives.plus 3 above.

1 750 bg

2 Tyree bits as well each in this box

every time I vised my PC shop and markets grab one if I see one.any how

my advice test them out .and have fun doing it..

look not every one has the luxury in owing many hard drives so run it from the DVD ..

gives one a good Idea before installing..

I have another HDD somewhere, and I've been checking some of them out using Virtual Box but, the problem is that my PC is verrry bad and VB takes a lot of cpu power. But I have installed Ubuntu on my main HDD before and I like it a lot but, Mint looks really good right about now. So does Arch :P. As of Debian, I don't really trust an OS thats being developed by a community but I do like the looks of it.

I have another HDD somewhere ? Hurrah just what the doctor ordered

well find it check it out and install it..if its over 10 GB you are all go..first thing insert it in the box.Amusing you know how safely?

under the one you have (carefully power off!) for now pull out the main drive cable.(we want to test the old drive first..

when done close the box.

turn it on and listen carefully

no nose ok. if you hear any clanking or the like turn off the power instantly!!

then

go to the bios and see if its there and check the settings.

then boot windows disk look to see if its there. and working.

now format it normally 1 time..it will check on its sectors..

when done,you now can install a windows on it for now.(test the drive)

when done boot it up.ok all is well ,power down pull out the cable

insert the cable on your first drive and link the second drive your old one.

boot you should have 2 hard drives... if not you may need to swap the cables

plugs..try again.

check your bios its there..

next install a Linux any,on the 2nd drive..but first back up your main drive

to a outside drive and our pen drive..or dvd..just in case..

let me know how you went.

Mr Bean

I have another HDD somewhere ? Hurrah just what the doctor ordered

well find it check it out and install it..if its over 10 GB you are all go..first thing insert it in the box.Amusing you know how safely?

under the one you have (carefully power off!) for now pull out the main drive cable.(we want to test the old drive first..

when done close the box.

turn it on and listen carefully

no nose ok. if you hear any clanking or the like turn off the power instantly!!

then

go to the bios and see if its there and check the settings.

then boot windows disk look to see if its there. and working.

now format it normally 1 time..it will check on its sectors..

when done,you now can install a windows on it for now.(test the drive)

when done boot it up.ok all is well ,power down pull out the cable

insert the cable on your first drive and link the second drive your old one.

boot you should have 2 hard drives... if not you may need to swap the cables

plugs..try again.

check your bios its there..

next install a Linux any,on the 2nd drive..but first back up your main drive

to a outside drive and our pen drive..or dvd..just in case..

let me know how you went.

Mr Bean

it already has a version of windows on it, and I've been wanting to dual boot with it for awhile. I just can't find it because it's in a box somewhere since I moved back in september. I still don't have all my boxes un-packed lmaooo

hi there

ok you know what you are doing So when you get around finding the drive

install it ,but still when possible hunt around for a other one.today you can pick them up cheep if you do not mind thy are smaller? nothing wrong with 40 GB or better. running Linux on a 40 gig drive is fine..we all like big but sometimes that's not feasible, any way Linux today has many variations. and for me to post whats the best Means nothing,I or what you test

then Like usability wise, and looks.should be important,myself finally got stuck on unbunto versions, and decided that thy are fine for me, a pleasant OS and easy to learn.

Its very safe,usable and can be made pretty to look at.I do not like telling others what thy Must,should use.Each to there own.the reason I will not post what I .May think, I am far from A expert using Linux and have a heap to learn,but up to today have learned a lot

I feel very comfortable using(Linux) but time probably is against me,my age!

and why I post my findings and joy using a PC.

mind you still use windows when I cant do something with the Linux Os until I learn how..discover new things every day.then keep at it till it works..

let me state this its very nice of you to take interest and read the thread I thank you very much! and all the Members who also read the posts!

Mr Bean

• 4 weeks later...

Archived