IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Large gaps in data after full optimise

Hi all,

Having tried a number of other free defrag programs and not been happy with them I decided to switch to SmartDefrag and downloaded ver 1.21 (beta). I then ran a defrag and full optimise to see what performance gains were available. I now have two issues:

Boot up time is now longer than it was (I have an older machine with plenty of memory but a slow processor, so its measured in minutes, not seconds)

After doing nothing other than shutting the machine down and turning it back on the following day, I analysed the disk under SD and got the following image:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6703&stc=1&d=1295958789

This indicates that I've now got large gaps of free space interspersed with the data (I reckon about 2.5GB in total) and 328 fragmented files, despite the report after the full optimisation saying that all files had been defragmented. Is this normall? If so, why does a full optimise leave so much free space dotted around the disk? Surely the whole point of a defragmenter is to defragment files and move them as close to the beginning of the disk as possible to reduce access times, subject to whatever 'ordering' parameters are specified in the optimisation protocol. So far, SD appears to do neither.

The Gaps are Normal and do to Not slow data transfer significantly.

SD moves Related data blocks together, which decreases Search/retrieve time.

Hard-drive disks are so small and fast these days, location placement of files on disk platters does not effect access time as much as it once did with the older Large disks.

I see by attachment that you have boot-time-defrag disabled, so SD should not effect the computer's Start-up time.

Except for the time required to load SD, if you have the 'Load automaticly at Windows Sart-up' checkbox checked, in 'Settings'?

Hi RP

If you compare the free space locations in the used space area it seems to me that it corresponds fairly well to the (red) fragments displayed, I therefore think that those fragment we see are fragments/files in use, which means that they will not get defragmented as long as they are in use.

Try a boot defrag and see how that looks.

The computer boot up is slowed up by how many startup programs you use.

Please read Thinking about defragmentation (links in my signature)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi all,

Having tried a number of other free defrag programs and not been happy with them I decided to switch to SmartDefrag and downloaded ver 1.21 (beta). I then ran a defrag and full optimise to see what performance gains were available. I now have two issues:

Boot up time is now longer than it was (I have an older machine with plenty of memory but a slow processor, so its measured in minutes, not seconds)

After doing nothing other than shutting the machine down and turning it back on the following day, I analysed the disk under SD and got the following image:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6703&stc=1&d=1295958789

This indicates that I've now got large gaps of free space interspersed with the data (I reckon about 2.5GB in total) and 328 fragmented files, despite the report after the full optimisation saying that all files had been defragmented. Is this normall? If so, why does a full optimise leave so much free space dotted around the disk? Surely the whole point of a defragmenter is to defragment files and move them as close to the beginning of the disk as possible to reduce access times, subject to whatever 'ordering' parameters are specified in the optimisation protocol. So far, SD appears to do neither.

Archived