IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

swap drive for defrag chkdsk (fsck)

First post. New guy. New user. Been around - but still learning.

Pls stay with me here. Many years ago I had to do some system maintenance on a Xenix/Unix system running on a x286. The single HDD was choked and fsck (similar to DOS/WIN chkdsk) would not run. Under Xenix/Unix I was able to mount a 1.2 MByte floppy (remember those days?) as a system volume (drive.) Then I was able to use that volume as the swap space for fsck.

If it was available I could have specified another HDD or partition as the swap space.

Q1: Is such an option available with IObit defrag or other products? Or in WinXP (or any other Win__)? I have a WinXP HDD that is choked and IObit defrag runs - but barely. (I know. I know. Should have been defragging long ago.)

Q2: And OT. Is fsck used in Linux and, if not, what?

Thanks in advance. JJ

With Windows-7 you can Start the computer using the purchased Windows DVD or a Boot CD (created by a built in utility), and then Chkdsk can be run.

So the a: drive boot is no longer needed.

Essentially the floppy drives are an outdated technology, so I doubt that IObit will be developing software that use them, or for them.

In my opinion Linux is also an outdated OS.

I know it's sometime painful to UpGrade to larger hard-drives and the latest technology and OS, but eventually we have to do it. :-(

setting the swap volume in Win? & Smart Defrag

The question buried in my essay was on setting the swap volume/space to a 2nd HDD (or other device) in Win?? to be other than C:. And possibly in Smart Defrag as well.

Unix aka Xenix had this capability. Dunno about Linux. Dunno about Win7. Dunno about Smart Defrag.

With Smart Defrag I am getting "not enough space" errors because I filled up my HDD.

WinXP Defrag would not run. Found IO Smarft Defrag and started repairs. And started HDD clean up. Smart Defrag would run, fixing some files and report errors on others. Repeat with successive passes improved the HDD.

Regards. JJ

option for 2nd hdd for swap space

.. it's sometime painful to UpGrade ... (

Understood. I explained in the Suggestions dicussion / thread that, for one reason or another, my HDD is full and I am in a recovery mode. Using SD is helping. But I am getting "not enough space errors". Fewer with repeated runs of SD (ands some scleaning.)

New equipment/OS specs at this time will not help. Neither, for that matter, will my suggestions for new features in SD. But thanks for your suggestions and comments. I will investigate.

Tx: JJ

Archived