IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Updates and registry changes

garyasta

I use Advanced WindowsCare about once a fortnight to clean up the system. I have noted that I have problems with my Windows Security Updates. They will download, but will not install. Is it possible that when I run Advanced WindowsCare and accept the suggested registry changes, that I am changing Windows Update settings. Should there be settings that I should be aware of and not change?

Gary

Go into Administration and then into services and take a look to see if Automatic Update is activated and configured to start automatically.

Then when you run an AWC scan go into details and configure the automatic update by adding it to the ignore list.

Cheers

I use Advanced WindowsCare about once a fortnight to clean up the system. I have noted that I have problems with my Windows Security Updates. They will download, but will not install. Is it possible that when I run Advanced WindowsCare and accept the suggested registry changes, that I am changing Windows Update settings. Should there be settings that I should be aware of and not change?

Gary

Hi. I feel you have misunderstood my question. It relates not to Advanced WinowsCare updates, but to the Windows Security Updates from Microsoft. I was wondering if the suggested registry changes offered by WindowsCare After a scan may be changing registry settings and causing Windows Security Updates to fail to install.

Gary

No, I understood it to be your Windows updates, and my comment is unchanged. AWC optimizing might have changed your services in order to make your computer as safe and fast as possible, but you have to look under details, and not let the optimizing deactivate services you want or need, therefore - if this is the problem- you have to configure it as I wrote.

Cheers

Hi. I feel you have misunderstood my question. It relates not to Advanced WinowsCare updates, but to the Windows Security Updates from Microsoft. I was wondering if the suggested registry changes offered by WindowsCare After a scan may be changing registry settings and causing Windows Security Updates to fail to install.

Gary

The first thing to do is to go into the control panel and choose Administration, and there Services, then find Automatic Update and configure it to start and preferably automatic.

Then when this is done you download your updates and install them, often you then have to restart your computer.

After that go to AWC and run a scan, - but before clicking Repair - go into details - expecially in Optimization and put Automatic update in the ignore list!

Cheers

Thanks for that, but I can't find where to locate Details>Automatic Update when I go to AWC scan window.

Cheers

Gary

"After that go to AWC and run a scan, - but before clicking Repair - go into detail - expecially in Optimization and put Automatic update in the ignore list!"

There is no mention of "Automatic Updates" in either of the 'details' lists (Registry or Optimization) generated with a scan. I guess that the Windows Updates settings don't enter into the scan problem area.

TKS

Gary

Ok, but did you get the Windows update to work?

There are 3 tabs in the details window under optimization, are you sure you have looked in them all?

Otherwise it might be other security settings that have closed down Automatic Update in Services

Cheers

"After that go to AWC and run a scan, - but before clicking Repair - go into detail - expecially in Optimization and put Automatic update in the ignore list!"

There is no mention of "Automatic Updates" in either of the 'details' lists (Registry or Optimization) generated with a scan. I guess that the Windows Updates settings don't enter into the scan problem area.

TKS

Gary

But did you get those installed that would not install before?

Otherwise they are probably located in prefetch files, and can be deleted and then downloaded again and installed.

Cheers

Heh! Heh! I've run out of available updates. I'll have to wait till the next batch is at Microsoft.

Cheers

To cut a very, very long story short (about two weeks long), I have now been able to download and install all MS Windows security update files.

As i can only communicate via VoIP with SKYPE-OUT (slow satellite broadband), all comms with MS were via email. I have no land-line or cellphone coverage where I am. Each time I had to reboot to try something, any comms link was lost. Things started out with an uninstall of IE7 and a complete reinstall of WINXP SP1. Then the trouble started. SP2 wouldn't install from CD. A new download was the same. A week of mucking around and internet research, finally got the installation to stick. Then the updates would download, but not install. MS finally came up with what appears to do the job but I wanted to check to see that something I was doing, was not the cause of the update installation problem.

Cheers

Gary

Ok, if you still have problems, then try " Dial_a_fix "

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Cheers

To cut a very, very long story short (about two weeks long), I have now been able to download and install all MS Windows security update files.

As i can only communicate via VoIP with SKYPE-OUT (slow satellite broadband), all comms with MS were via email. I have no land-line or cellphone coverage where I am. Each time I had to reboot to try something, any comms link was lost. Things started out with an uninstall of IE7 and a complete reinstall of WINXP SP1. Then the trouble started. SP2 wouldn't install from CD. A new download was the same. A week of mucking around and internet research, finally got the installation to stick. Then the updates would download, but not install. MS finally came up with what appears to do the job but I wanted to check to see that something I was doing, was not the cause of the update installation problem.

Cheers

Gary

Archived