IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Floppy Drive accessed from Smart Defrag!

Right after upgrading to Smart Defrag 1.5 about two weeks ago, my XP Pro PC started random floppy access braap noises, which had never happened before. Same thing with another PC running Vista! I uninstalled Smart Defrag from both PCs just to be safe, and now no noises. Norton scans showed no problems. Would really like to reinstall, as I think the program is great. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Right after upgrading to Smart Defrag 1.5 about two weeks ago, my XP Pro PC started random floppy access braap noises, which had never happened before. Same thing with another PC running Vista! I uninstalled Smart Defrag from both PCs just to be safe, and now no noises. Norton scans showed no problems. Would really like to reinstall, as I think the program is great. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Do you have automatic defrag installed ? Try also to exclude removable media from being potentially defragged.

Thanks for the reply. I don't mean the normal brapp during bootup; I mean random, constant brapps all day while opening and closing files/folders/programs/webpages etc. Never heard a PC do this before. I don't want to disconnect the floppies as I still use them. Something's wrong as it affects the two PCs we have that have floppies. I had hoped maybe someone knew of this problem/quirk, and that it was fixed in 2.0?

I have used SD on Many computers with floppy-drives, with several version of SD, and have Never seen this happen,

so there must be something different about your computers, that I have not seen reported before on this website.

The first thing I would check is if 'Norton' is scanning the FDs, I have read other reports that had that problem with Norton.

I've never used Norton so do not know how to fix that. You may be able to do Internet-Search to find more Info.

If it is Norton and can not fix it, you could use other Security software, such as AVG or Stopzilla.

If Not Norton:

Do you know what type cable connection your Floppy-drives use? ( IDE, ATA, Sata, USB, etc.)

What type computers are you using? (make and model)

Maybe that will tell us something.

exact same issue here,using sony IDE FD,avast,win defender ,comodo FW,

i also use my FD drive on occasion ,though i temporarily disabled it,and the noise stopped,when it did occur,the FD indicator lit up when the"braap"noise was made...,nothing i saw on interface settings to exclude the other drives.

Finally had some time to spend on this. To answer Toppack, the first PC is an ABS with XP Pro, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU, ASUS K8N-E-Deluxe mobo, and IDE floppy. The second is also an ABS but with Vista Home Premium, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, ASUS P532-E SLI mobo, and IDE floppy. Same as mimon, the floppy indicator lights up with the brapp. I have used a combo of Avira, Threatfire, and Comodo FW on both machines, then switched to Norton with no change. I also installed 2.0 in the Vista PC with the same results...BRAPP!

Now that I know it's not a virus/malware, I'm not as concerned, but it's still an annoyance. Does anyone know from where I can download V.1.4? That's what I had before, with no problems.

Thanks again for the help.

I have used a combo of Avira, Threatfire,

I certainly don't see anything unusual or different about those 2 computers.

Sorry, I have not tried those 3 security software programs either.

Along with Microsoft Security-Essentials, the only ones I us are AVG and Stopzilla, which I have not had any problems with and I know to be very Good.

I can only report seeing several reports of Norton causing that problem.

Which still makes me think it is security software related problem.

You may want to do an Internet search to check for info on Avira and Threatfire, which may be similar to Norton in that regard?

Here's link to AVG free-trial download, if you want to try it:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/buyav-ppc_1?ctype=ppc_us_gs_0002_buyav_1&wm_crID=5785658&wm_lpID=31422279&wm_ctID=383&wm_kwID=16990814&wm_mtID=2&wm_content=0&wm_g_crID=7342203302&wm_g_kw=AVG+free&wm_g_pcmt=&wm_g_cnt=0&wm_kw=AVG+free&wm_sd=1

(just click the 'Free Trial' button, but if you do try it be sure to disable Norton Completely, and any others, First)

Toppack, thanks for the info. This problem started only after updating to 1.5 and also exists with 2.0; everything else was constant on both PCs. Mimon, also in this thread, has the same problem with Avast. Three different PCs, three different antivirus programs, same brapp. Has to be something with newer SD. Do you know of anyplace where I can download 1.4? Just want to get back to where I was before all this started.

Thanks again.

Same thing here

I just installed the latest SD 2.0 and I have the annoying sound as it tries to access my floppy drive. I sent Tech support an email,but I am not a paid member so I don't know if or when they will get back with me. When I first installed SD2.0 I had AVG but I switched to Avast yesterday, and I still have the same problem. The sound happens every couple minutes and stops when I close SD.

I wanted to put A: in the exclude list but it will not let me do that. I also unchecked the box to load automatically when windows starts to get rid of the annoyance that slows down my boot time.

I hope we can find a solution to this problem !

Somehow we need to determine what is different?

1. Hardware wise, none if my computers are using IDE interface to floppies, so maybe a conflect with that interface buss type?

2. I wonder if a BIOS setting such as 'Boot from Floppy' or something may be activated in yours and not in others?

3. Do you have any other software installed that relates to floppy-drives that may be conflicting with SD or Security software?

That's all the questionables I can think of. :roll:

i doubt that it is a conflict with any security apps,i ruled that out when i disabled them while smart defragg was left running,still the frequent brapp along with a brief hourglass stall only in the floppy drive,but I'm still using SD2.0 since overall the start-up has improved now that SD runs as a scheduled task and the defragging is a lot more thorough,but i hope this glitch can be resolved in any future release because my floppy is a vital part of my system for uploading and saving my many documents and spreadsheets that are vital to my vocation and business,but when i'm finished, i disable the FD and things are working fine,just a slight inconvenience to enable/re'enable often.by the way, if anyone wants to run an older version of SD till this bug is worked out,they can find it here.

http://www.filehorse.com/download-smart-defrag/old-versions/

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

as far as i can tell,SD 2.1 has resolved the "Floppy drive" issue,no indicator flashing or brapp noise coming from the drive any longer, seems to work smoothly with no other issues on my end.

thanks Iobit for the fix and updated improvements,,,

Mike M.

Archived