IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

v 2.0 locking up

Nashe

Hi guys,

I will make a wild guess. :mrgreen:

Could it be related to video cards? (Nashe's 2 same PCs with only HD and Video card difference)

Cheers.

Way ahead of you here. I have an ATI 4650 and she's got a 4600, really close Model cards. They even use the same drivers. I have already tried changing drivers around and even updated to newest driver couple days ago with no change. Thanks for advice though. =)

I only see Defrag 2 installed within Windows Add/Remove program list. Do I need to do a manual search of the registry for v1.5?

Also, regarding a fresh install - are you referring just to defrag or the entire ASC?

Thanks for your help!

Rob

Just uninstalled again, and installed v2.01. Same issues - UI freezes. No good :(

I may have the same issue, already reported somewhere here. I might have a workaround, at least it works for me : when the UI freezes, I can still open the setting page, then I go to the transparency setting, I just change it a bit, I return to SD2 and the UI is unfrozen for this session.

Hi MerleOne

Is your setting that the program should start up with Windows?

Cheers

solbjerg

I may have the same issue, already reported somewhere here. I might have a workaround, at least it works for me : when the UI freezes, I can still open the setting page, then I go to the transparency setting, I just change it a bit, I return to SD2 and the UI is unfrozen for this session.

Many folks having this issue, it seems. Question - helpful, I hope.

Why, for most of us, did earlier versions and/or the SD2 beta work just fine?

This would seem to point towards a more generic problem, so that I probably wouldn't spend too much time on 'settings' (security, start-up, etc.) or arcane 'workarounds'. Good luck!

I might have a workaround, at least it works for me : when the UI freezes, I can still open the setting page, then I go to the transparency setting, I just change it a bit, I return to SD2 and the UI is unfrozen for this session.

Did everyone see MerleOne's Info ? :?:

If transparency setting effects it, it seems that the problem would have be a Graphics related problem?

Such as maybe the graphics-buffer not being updated at a certain screen-resolution and certain transparency setting?

I have not been able to duplicate the problem though.

Something to check/add...

I have a similar problem with SD 2.0 and 2.0.1 and it started when I got a wireless Logitech USB mouse, model M705, with the miniture USB plugin...

Switched back to a regular wired USB mouse and exited the Logitech systray app and works fine.... This is also what I want to report to IOBIT...

Hope this helps...

I am having the same problem as Longuser. I have two XP Pro machines, have two Logitech M705 mouse's, and Smart Defrag 2.0.1 freezes on both. If I unplug the M705 USB dongle, plug in my old Logitech wireless mouse USB dongle, reboot, Smart Defrag works fine.

Looks like we we may have a real 'Wireless Input Devices' Compatibility problem! :!: Although I don't see how they would be related?

(We have 2 threads going now, reporting possible Wireless related problems)

I hope someone informs the programmers about this, since there is a growing number of users that are using them.

But this type of problem may be very difficult for the programmers to duplicate, since not all wireless devices do it all the time?

It appears that only a select few devices have the compatibility problem?

Well I'll give you a diff. one, I use a Microsoft wired mouse and having the same issues. Updated vid drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled several times, also added it to the Exceptions list on my Firewall. I've tried cutting off all security programs and no change.

With this many people having the same problem and I'm sure if this many are posting here, lots of others are having same issue and not saying anything about it.

Nashe, I was wondering what type mouse you were using. I'm glad you said before I had to ask. :grin:

Yep, you Threw another Wrench in the works. :wink:

I've run out of Ideas, someone more familiar with the programming needs to look into this problem.

Can you try something? On the main window near the top right, click on "Settings". If the Settings window opens, please select "User Interface" on the left. Adjust the Transparency slider to the middle, then click "Recommended" button and then the "OK" button.

Does Smart Defrag work now?

I get this user interface "freeze" every time I reboot. Adjusting the Transparency, then putting it back seems to force Smart Defrag 2 to wake up (well, it does this for me, XP pro SP 3)

Please reply if this helps or not.

-= Einy =-

Well adjusting that sure helps! Whatever it's doing is making it so things are not freezing up. But once you close it and reopen you have to go back and move the slider again. This should give you all at least somewhere to look at this for a future fix.

Wtg Einstein47! Least I can use it now. =)

Hi Nashe

As it look like just a few experience it I would have tried first chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r

If that didn't work I would have tried sfc /scannow

Do you use ASC too? (thinking about System Optimize)

Also the setting "Let Windows choose the best setting for your computer" could be tried.

Cheers

solbjerg

Well adjusting that sure helps! Whatever it's doing is making it so things are not freezing up. But once you close it and reopen you have to go back and move the slider again. This should give you all at least somewhere to look at this for a future fix.

Wtg Einstein47! Least I can use it now. =)

I just wanted to report the same experience with all versions of Smart Defrag of 2.0 and above. I clean installed 2.0.1 tonight, and the UI is most unresponsive. None of the buttons highlight when moving the cursor over the controls. I could not get the program to work at all, but as I read through this thread, I tried the transparency setting trick, and the program would work as it should. However, I never had any of these problems with the old versions. I thought newer versions were supposed to work BETTER??

Thanks.

Maybe the transparency setting routine needs to be changed to a Step-progression adjustment instead of a linear-slider.

That way each step could be tested for compatibility on a larger varity of systems, much easier.

That is if the Transparency adjustment option is Really needed? I never use it.

• 3 months later...
Can you try something? On the main window near the top right, click on "Settings". If the Settings window opens, please select "User Interface" on the left. Adjust the Transparency slider to the middle, then click "Recommended" button and then the "OK" button.

Does Smart Defrag work now?

I get this user interface "freeze" every time I reboot. Adjusting the Transparency, then putting it back seems to force Smart Defrag 2 to wake up (well, it does this for me, XP pro SP 3)

Please reply if this helps or not.

-= Einy =-

omg, this has been a problem for MONTHS now... and your suggestion about "waking up" SD worked! thanks!!!!:mrgreen:

Archived