IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Crashed my XP laptop

Yikes! Today I downloaded your most recent defrag program and it crashed my XP laptop. I used the defrag optimize part

I'm doing a restore that is taking an unusual amount of time and I hope it brings things back to normal.

I've used your product before but I am not going to be using this latest version.

I've crossed my fingers for a good restore.

Finished the restore.....today wasn't my lucky day. :-(

I have programs that won't start, programs that want to re-install but stay in a loop.

From which website did you download it from?

Do you have the URL address for the website?

Were you having any problems with your computer before installing SD?

There is No reason for a normal install or normal activation of SD program to cause that kind of problem.

I can't remember but I think it was an automatic notice of update. When I started the older version I received an update notice and went on from there.

I am back but only 80%. I'll need to find software that I installed from years ago, I'm going to need to shut down my LAN and start over. What a freak'in mess.

I was having no problems before and was going to do my weekly defrag.

Why do you ask about the site? Are there known defrag hijack problems going on with SD?

From which website did you download it from?

Do you have the URL address for the website?

Were you having any problems with your computer before installing SD?

There is No reason for a normal install of SD to cause that kind of problem.

Why do you ask about the site? Are there known defrag hijack problems going on with SD?

Not that know I about, but that is a posibility, since that has happened before. So, that is something that needs to be checked on.

But if your download came from IObit website, then that should not be the problem.

Was there anything unusual happen during the SD install or when you were running it, such as a loss of power, dropped the computer, etc.

Yes there was an incident when SD was running.

About 75% of the way into the scan it stopped. I thought maybe it was just slowing down and I gave it a lot more time. Then I saw it was showing optimized.

I believe that files were corrupted and maybe deep into the boot file. Mouse clicks are off.

I am doing a scan with Malaware to make sure about virus.

My laptop has 2 gig of memory and it is running XP SP3.

Not that know I about, but that is a posibility, since that has happened before. So, that is something that needs to be checked on.

But if your download came from IObit website, then that should not be the problem.

Was there anything unusual happen during the SD install or when you were running it, such as a loss of power, dropped the computer, etc.

Man am I MAD. This is a program (SD) that will never, ever, never get on any of my computers ever again. One of the programs I use is Paperport 9. IT has been years since I downloaded it as an update. My computer needs the MSI off the install program and now I must dig around and find which of the many old hard drive pile the install program resides on.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Over the years I've read about defrag programs messing up computers and now I"m one of them.

Yes there was an incident when SD was running.

About 75% of the way into the scan it stopped. I thought maybe it was just slowing down and I gave it a lot more time. Then I saw it was showing optimized.

I believe that files were corrupted and maybe deep into the boot file. Mouse clicks are off.

I am doing a scan with Malaware to make sure about virus.

My laptop has 2 gig of memory and it is running XP SP3.

Really Sorry to hear about the problems,

Be sure to run the DOS level program Check-disk, as soon as you can, to check for hard-drive errors.

chkdsk /f

I would run chkdsk before restoring the missing program software, in the event there are HD errors that need fixing first. Since it certainly sounds like there may be errors on HD.

Took 2.5 days of working at it but I am back and running. I had to re-register DLL's, install programs, etc. Sadly out of all the lost files, the one I needed most, the most important database was no place to be found. Years of saved client information gone.

I had a 4 year old back-up so at least I have some records. I will be backing up that database on a regular basis.

I am wiser now and will never again go with a program that I consider too aggressive with defrag to the HD.

Really Sorry to hear about the problems,

Be sure to run the DOS level program Check-disk, as soon as you can, to check for hard-drive errors.

chkdsk /f

I would run chkdsk before restoring the missing program software, in the event there are HD errors that need fixing first. Since it certainly sounds like there may be errors on HD.

• 6 months later...

Hi urdrwho

I was wondering how much frees space you have on your harddisk?

Most defragmenters recommend that there must be at least 15% free space. And the more filled - the easier to fragment it.

In an ideal world it should never be filled more than 50% in my opinion.

Most of the trouble we hear concerning defragmentation comes from too filled up harddisks and very, very large files.

Then there are some that are too impatient/ or inattentive and close down the computer during a defrag, a few others may be so unlucky that there is a powerloss during a defrag (for a second or two) - be it run manually or automatic.

A defragmenter is only shifting the data around - it is not deleting it, - there are other programs for that chore.

But if it runs out of space or if it loses power something might happen I think.

You say that your laptop runs XP sp.3 - this probably means that it is 5-6 years old, so depending on the model and on how much work it has been subjected to, it could also mean that the harddisk has grown tired? :-)

These were just a few things that could be the culprit in your case in my opinion.

Please for your own sake check the free space percentage!

Cheers

solbjerg

Took 2.5 days of working at it but I am back and running. I had to re-register DLL's, install programs, etc. Sadly out of all the lost files, the one I needed most, the most important database was no place to be found. Years of saved client information gone.

I had a 4 year old back-up so at least I have some records. I will be backing up that database on a regular basis.

I am wiser now and will never again go with a program that I consider too aggressive with defrag to the HD.

Archived