IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC flags OK Shortcut as error

BKSmith714

Everytime I run ASC it flags my desktop shortcut for MSCONFIG.EXE as being bad. The shortcut works fine and points to the correct directory and file. How can I tell ASC to ignore that specific shortcut without telling it to ignore all shortcuts?

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I did that twice (remove the shortcut and recreate it), but ASC still thinks it is faulty. I don't know what ASC looks at to determine it is faulty - perhaps I could create a workaround if I knew that. Any ideas?

That is interesting. I have tried to repeat the glitch creating a shortcut for msconfig.exe on the desktop and tried every shortcut fixer in ASC3 and ASC4 in that vein.

Result: No flags from any of them. :roll:

How did you create the shortcut? Creating in the same foder (C:\Windows\system32) or sending it to the dektop (creating a shortcut on the desktop)?

It may help to investigate if we can see the screenshots of "Shortcut" and "General" tabs of the properties of the shortcut.

Have you tried showing the hiden files and protected operating system files in the Folder Options, and scan again?

Cheers.

Hi again BKSmith714,

Is there a possibility that the Registry Fixer of ASC is flagging that shortcut as bad (invalid) instead of Shortcut Fixer?

If this is the case, then there is a workaround to ignore the item.

You can click on the Details and then right clicking on the item to ignore from the right click menu.

Please, also inform which ASC are you using and screenshot of the flagging of ASC will be helpful too.

Feedback will be appreciated. :-D

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Shortcut - Wrong Disk

If I run the Shortcut Fixer against C: and E: it specifies all problems as on C: even though the some problem files are on E:

I do not want to delete shortcuts unless I know the 'correct' ones are being deleted!

• 3 months later...

Shortcuts to absent drives cause pop-ups

I have quite a few pop-ups to currently absent memory devices (drives, sticks, SD cards). Many of those may be removed (as in Recent Documents), some point to genuine errors (I switched my external hard drive from E: to F:), and some I want to keep for when I plug the device in again. All in all I have hundreds of them.

While scanning, for each of these links Shortcut Fixer produces a pop-up "There is no drive in the station. Please put a suitable medium in the station." (translated by me). It it tiring to keep clicking - and which button?

Hence my proposal:

(1) Please offer the option not to be asked to insert a medium. Any shortcut with that drive letter is automatically considered broken.

Two other proposals:

(2) Please add a column "Folder", with the location of the shortcut. This helps a lot in deciding whether to delete a shortcut or not.

(3) Please allow a migration option, which takes an old path and a new path, and replaces the old path by the new in all selected shortcuts. In my case that would replace E:\.... with F:\...., but of course migrations within the same drive are common too. Ideally it would first find all potentially relevant shortcuts (the ones containing the old path), and offer only those for selection.

Thanks and greetings,

Biep.

Archived