IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag caused this... why?

LFX64

Please right click on those files and see what they are, and let us know.

It should move unmovables in boot-time defrag though. Need careful adjustments of the options.

Could they be:

1) pagefile.sys

2) hiberfil.sys

3) MFT Zone (enlargement)

4) $UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA

5) $RmMetadata

6) etc.?

BTW, have you had a chance to look at Think about Defragmentation!!! thread?

Cheers.

I can't see unmovable on the drive map legend. Everything seems normal and the excluded files are hibernation and pagefile.

It appears this is a bug on Smart Defrag afteral?

Reckon I should reinstall Smart Defrag? See what comes up?

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/khaifx/?action=view&current=Dwm2011-04-1223-14-46-34.jpg

Doesn't look identical. But this is to be expected when the difference in window sizes alters the appearance of the drive map.

I will be going soon, so I'd like to get as many suggestions out of the way before I go to bed. I'd rather not have to deal with ideas in the morning, instead I'd rather reinstall Windows 7.

I read up on Windows 7 from the MS site. Reformating HDDs does in fact clear the validation "file". Lame if you ask me. Meaning I may well end up needing to call Microsoft tomorrow... some how. Either that, or it'll be the next time I install the OS. They should consider changing that.

Hi LFX64,

Please right click on the files pointed out by red arrows and give us the names of the files (you think most suits to the block color.)

WHY DO YOU USE SD2 Beta3.0 instead of the most recent SD2 2.0.1?

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7340&d=1302648671

Cheers.

Ahh, got to hate that timeout thing on these vBulletin boards. Anyway, unfortunately I am going to disappear and catch some Z's, an the first thing I do in the morning is clean my PC out, re-seat the CPU cooler with a fresh (hopefully thinner) layer of MX-4 and then I will re-install Windows 7. So I won't be able to try out any other suggestions.

As mentioned previously, I will come back and tell you the block situation, but I will be using Smart Defrag 1.5. I'm steering cleer of Smart Defrag 2 until it's solid. Good point... the times I did cancel a defrag shortly after it started was always with Smart Defrag 1.5, which finished what it was doing before it stopped half way through doing it. So it appears to be a problem with SM2. Just letting you know.

Peace, an thanks to everyone for the help.

Because I didn't think SM2 was out of beta. I went from Beta 2.0 to beta 3.0 like 2 months ago or somethin an I got that from download.com, which is where I usually get my files. At least I think I did.

I'll check those files you asked about.

Those files are TF2 content files and Guild Wars.

Since installing guild wars I've run several optimisations and checks, an those blocks were caused by stopping shortly after starting a defrag process.

TF2 content always seems to be fragmenting even though Steam is hardly ever run. Always, no matter what. Always TF2 stuff, but neither of these files have ever been black boxes before.

I'm going to bed, I can't handle staying up forever waiting for replies. You'll have to figure this problem out on your own if it interests you, to see if SM is the cause, but from prior experience using Smart Defrag 1.5, beta 2.0 and beta 3.0, I'm saying that SM 3.0 was the cause - when cancelling a defrag.

I'll be back tomorrow but I'll have a fresh install... assuming I don't have to spend a few hundred on mobile phone calls to Microsoft.

Thanks for the help.

FX

As I expected... no blocks. Least not on Defraggler. I'm not using SD for a while. It provokes OCD-like behaviour. I always feel the need to optimise my disc with file placement and I do it far more often than is necessary. Defraggler, fortunately, has improved somewhat from when I last used it. I remember I had an 80GB fragment once (yes in 2010) and it refused to remove 20 of it lol.

Ahh, fresh system. :) So fast. So speedy. It still amazes me that 110GB went missing, when I hardly had anything installed on the last OS and even when a ton of registry keys and empty folders were deleted as well as defragmenting and optimisation put in place, start up time had dropped significantly - not anymore! It also appears that I haven't installed Windows 7 Home Premium enough for them to require me to ring up and get a new code, which is always nice. :roll:

I'm sure at some point or another I will end up getting Smart Defrag again, especially when I'm installing things and constantly deleting video files (fraps). I just hope that I never see an unmovable block again! :D I will be performance, LESS maintenance on my PC now, trying to break the habbit. No file placement. Just one defrag every 2 weeks. :)

Now which game?

Minecraft or Oblivion? :lol:

Thanks for your help folks.

Peace

• 2 weeks later...

Had a fresh install of Windows 7 for about 10 days now, perhaps a bit longer. Was only using defraggler, worked nicely but now it's dealing with larger chunks it's back to it's usual ways, exactly the same as 2 years ago. It's actually one of the only Piriform things I dislike, since it fails to do what it should already be doing.

Anyway, got hold of Smart Defrag 1.5 because I wanted to steer clear of 2, after it caused this issue and unfortunately, a huge mass of Black Boxes are still there. I think it is safe to say that I have permanently lost about 2-3GB of HDD space to these black boxes, when using Smart Defrag 2. Multiple work arounds have been sought, including a complete Free Space secure wipe, an fresh install of Windows 7 and sadly the unmovable blocks remain there.

Any ideas, of do I just have to put up with the unmovable blacks pretty much at the front, half way through and directly at the end of my HDD?

I think I'll be uninstalling Smart Defrag for good. I don't like how this has turned out.

To keep thread making down, I tracked this one, an though I'd bring it back to life.

Peace

I still think they are Compressed and maybe Encripted files, that SD can not defrag.

Many new Games, and other software that is server reliant, create compressed archive files.

Or maybe the Mafia has Hacked into your system and is using it for their financial record storage?? :shock:

Hey, it could happen. :lol:

Well they weren't there one second, an then when I stopped and selected another option for defragging, when the drive map filled in, the unmovable blocks were there.

Was definitely caused by Smart Defrag 2.

Archived