IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag 2.0.1 requires administrator privileges [SOLVED by SD 2.1]

wotan

First off, I have confirmed that my user is a member of the Administrators group. This is on Windows XP Pro.

I just upgraded from a beta version of Smart Defrag 2 to version 2.0.1. The betas I had previously used worked fine, but 2.0.1 instead pops up a window that says "Smart Defrag requires administrator privileges to run." I have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Windows-7, being in local 'administrator group' in a domain, does Not automaticly give full Administrator rights.

I do not remember about XP for sure, but I think it is the same.

W-7 has the UAC (user account control) that has a pop-up window in cases like that, which XP does not have.

(the pop-up has option of installing with full Admin rights)

You may be able to find info about XP with Internet search?

In Windows-7, being in local 'administrator group' in a domain, does Not automaticly give full Administrator rights.

I do not remember about XP for sure, but I think it is the same.

You may be able to find info about XP with Internet search?

Well, it has never been an issue before, hasn't Smart Defrag always required admin privileges?

hi wotan

Hugin and Munin yakked something about a clean install and Usage of Iobit Products :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Sorry! I could not resist the anglicized name for Odin

First off, I have confirmed that my user is a member of the Administrators group. This is on Windows XP Pro.

I just upgraded from a beta version of Smart Defrag 2 to version 2.0.1. The betas I had previously used worked fine, but 2.0.1 instead pops up a window that says "Smart Defrag requires administrator privileges to run." I have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.

hi wotan

Hugin and Munin yakked something about a clean install and Usage of Iobit Products :-) :-) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Sorry! I could not resist the anglicized name for Odin

Actually wotan is the German form. See Wagner's Ring Cycle.

I guess I can go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling again, although I don't think there was anything unclean about what I did last time.

I did an uninstall, followed up removing the Smart Defrag directory as well as cleaning the registry. Them I reinstalled Smart Defrag and received the same error on launch. Then I used IOBit's advanced uninstaller to remove Smart Defrag and the associated cruft. Then I reinstalled Beta 2 and verified it worked. After that I did an over the top install and still it fails. I'll see if I can find any information about how to grant more rights to a domain user on an XP system.

Hi wotan

You are right!

woden as the anglicized name, wodan in old high German and wotan in Wagnerian tradition, Odin in Danish (Nordic) and U+16B9, U+16DF, U+16DE, U+16A8, U+16BE, U+D in elder futhark :-)

But the deity comes probably from along the Rhine a couple of thousand years ago or more, so it makes most sense to say Germanic :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Actually wotan is the German form. See Wagner's Ring Cycle.

I guess I can go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling again, although I don't think there was anything unclean about what I did last time.

2.0.1 installation problems (Administrator privledges)

I concur. I'm running Win7 64bit Ultimate, and previous releases of Smart Defrag installed and ran fine. There must be something with this install package that either doesn't recognize the fact I AM an adminstrator, or a bug that doesn't allow the version to run regardless of who installs it. Wait for a corrected version.

Totally removing the product, cleaning the registry has no positive affect. The problem evidences itself regardless.

d

hi d and dxmage and wotan

I run XP too and I don't experience any problem whatsoever.

I don't know how the Win 7 holds up generally because I don't know the program first hand.

curiouser and curiouser -

Cheers

solbjerg

I concur. I'm running Win7 64bit Ultimate, and previous releases of Smart Defrag installed and ran fine. There must be something with this install package that either doesn't recognize the fact I AM an adminstrator, or a bug that doesn't allow the version to run regardless of who installs it. Wait for a corrected version.

Totally removing the product, cleaning the registry has no positive affect. The problem evidences itself regardless.

d

2.0.1 installation problems (Administrator privledges)

Hi,

First post. I have used all previous versions of Smart defrag including V2, on my XP64 bit system, before installing V2.0.1 and have not had any privilages changed in this time. So supprised to get the popup "require admin privilages".

Installed it on another system with Windows 7 64 bit and it worked fine.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it makes no difference. Shame cant get it to work thought V2 was a great improvement.

Hi jasperg

From which location did you download the file - could it be from the same location as the others with problems?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi,

First post. I have used all previous versions of Smart defrag including V2, on my XP64 bit system, before installing V2.0.1 and have not had any privilages changed in this time. So supprised to get the popup "require admin privilages".

Installed it on another system with Windows 7 64 bit and it worked fine.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it makes no difference. Shame cant get it to work thought V2 was a great improvement.

For those who have working installations, are you using the builtin admin account

Yes, the builtin default Admin.

I've never seen a need for more than one Admin on any of our computers.

I do have Standard guest accounts on them though.

FWIW, I installed and extensively use VirtualBox on this same PC, and it requires admin rights. It installs drivers, so I am not sure how I can have sufficient rights to do that but not to run a defragmenter.

But the point is I have administrator rights on the local machine and can manipulate the local machine. It really sounds more like a bug in SD. I'll see if I can track down a copy of SD 1 and see if it works.

Archived