IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag 2.0.1 requires administrator privileges [SOLVED by SD 2.1]

wotan

Definitely something is wrong with smartdefrag 2.0.1

I'm having the same problem on a Windows XP laptop that is on a network domain.

I'm able to install it but as soon as it's started the message saying "Smart Defrag requires administrator privileges to run" appears

Please note:

1) My domain account IS on the administrators group and never had this problem with other programs

2) I've tried to uninstall, clean any traces and reinstall and nothing

IObit, please helps us with this

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest OCedHrt

I'm in the same situation with local administrator rights on a domain group. The issue may be that SD is looking at my domain rights and not my local rights. But regardless, I have discovered that my domain account with local administrator rights has permission to reset the password of the local administrator account!

Guess what that does?

I can now run SD as Administrator.

I'm in the same situation with local administrator rights on a domain group. The issue may be that SD is looking at my domain rights and not my local rights. But regardless, I have discovered that my domain account with local administrator rights has permission to reset the password of the local administrator account!

Guess what that does?

I can now run SD as Administrator.

And I can create a locally defined admin account and do the same. But 'Run as' doesn't work for me, so I would have to log in via that local account instead of the domain.

Question regarding statement in post.

In Windows-7, being in local 'administrator group' in a domain, does Not automaticly give full Administrator rights.

I do not remember about XP for sure, but I think it is the same.

W-7 has the UAC (user account control) that has a pop-up window in cases like that, which XP does not have.

(the pop-up has option of installing with full Admin rights)

You may be able to find info about XP with Internet search?

Please provide a reference for the statement highlighted in RED above.

Repro Steps:

1. I am logged into my machine as a domain user that is a member of the "Local Administrators" group.

2. UAC is turned off for this user on this machine.

3. Installation of SmartDefrag 2.0.1 does not show any errors.

4. Attempting to launch the program using "Run as Administrator" returns the same error as attempts to normally launch the program.

5. Changing the Properties of the shortcut Compatibility tab to have the Privilege Level check so it will "Run this progarm as an administator" also has no effect on the symptoms observed.

6. Running WhoAmI /all returns the following:

GROUP INFORMATION

-----------------

Group Name Type SID Attributes

==================================== ================ ================================================= ===============================================================

Everyone Well-known group S-1-1-0 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group

BUILTIN\Administrators Alias S-1-5-32-544 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group, Group owner

BUILTIN\Users Alias S-1-5-32-545 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group

NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE Well-known group S-1-5-4 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group

CONSOLE LOGON Well-known group S-1-2-1 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group

NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users Well-known group S-1-5-11 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group

NT AUTHORITY\This Organization Well-known group S-1-5-15 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group

LOCAL Well-known group S-1-2-0 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group

Conclusion:

SmartDefrag 2.0.1 does not correctly evaluate the current group membership of the logged on user.

Since this issue has been reported more than a week ago, and no response has been posted by the developer team, is there anything being done?

Could someone from the product group/team reply to confirm receipt of this BUG REPORT?

Uninstalled for now since it does not work! Maybe posting to a few more sites as well to alert a broader audience of this issue and lack of response from the authors.

Smart Defrag 2.0.1 - administrator privileges

I got a vague response from IOBit (contacted their press office) that this will be resolved in the 'next update'. No indication when that will be, or why it has not been resolved in the 3+ weeks they have known about the problem. There was also no answer about the lack of any information on their website about the failure of this update to work and why the last known working version (2.0) has not been made available. Their refusal to repost Smart Defrag 2.0 completely baffles me; this should have been done as soon as they knew 2.0.1 was not working, and requires zero effort on their part.

Since the Domain problem effects a relatively small number of users, I'm sure they did not want to Complicate and Confuse everyone by going back to previous version or have both available at same time.

Having multiple versions available online has confused many users, in the past.

Don't feel bad about being in the Minority, that's just the way it is. :lol:

In Windows-7, being in local 'administrator group' in a domain, does Not automaticly give full Administrator rights.

I do not remember about XP for sure, but I think it is the same.

W-7 has the UAC (user account control) that has a pop-up window in cases like that, which XP does not have.

(the pop-up has option of installing with full Admin rights)

You may be able to find info about XP with Internet search?

Yes .. that is correct. I am surprised you folks haven't been getting the "Must run as administrator" message in many more programs than IObit.

Simply right click on the application and choose "Run as administrator" and it will run fine.

Yes .. that is correct. I am surprised you folks haven't been getting the "Must run as administrator" message in many more programs than IObit.

Simply right click on the application and choose "Run as administrator" and it will run fine.

On XP you don't really seem to need more. And, to put it bluntly, everything else I use that requires administrator access seems to be written correctly.

On XP you don't really seem to need more.

True, if you already know where to look and what to do.

W-7 has helpfull popup selections to make finding and doing things easier and faster, that XP does not have.

any updates

i am also on windows 7 64-bit and i get the "administrator privileges" message as well. has anyone from iobit acknowledged that this is an issue?

i also liked smartdefrag more than auslogics but auslogics works.

thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Any progress?

Hi

I'm yet another user running XP under a domain (user account belonging to the admin group) and having the same problem with 2.0.1. (As also stated before, the released 2.0 works ok.) Anyone heard something from IObit yet?

Having the same issue, I reverted to SmartDefrag 2.0 Beta3, just to use it in the meantime.... Is there some policy that can get pushed in the AD world that states : "No third party defragmenters"

Whatever it is, it's frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

We have resolved this issue in our latest version SD V2.1.

Please download from the link below to see whether you still have this issue.

http://download.cnet.com/Smart-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10759533.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=button

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue.:oops:

The new build doesn't seem to be up yet. It is still giving me the 2.0.1 installer.

Archived