IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Pacman Effect

mikzoian

Every time I run ASC4 I lose a couple gigabytes of disc space on my C Drive. It is gobbling it up at a rate of 2-3 GB a day. I have just one month ago reinstalled everything. I have only about 24.5GB of programs and data installed on, but my C Drive says I have used 162GB. I can not see anything in the other 135.5GB either. Can anyone help me before I run out of disk space again? Cheers

Hi Mikzoian

What are your settings?

You could try one of the toolbox applications that will tell you what your largest files are, and in that way find out which file is responsible for your growing used space.

Cheers

solbjerg

Every time I run ASC4 I lose a couple gigabytes of disc space on my C Drive. It is gobbling it up at a rate of 2-3 GB a day. I have just one month ago reinstalled everything. I have only about 24.5GB of programs and data installed on, but my C Drive says I have used 162GB. I can not see anything in the other 135.5GB either. Can anyone help me before I run out of disk space again? Cheers

The area missing does not show up in Explorer as files if you catch my meaning. But when I analyze the drive it shows in the picture as used space below the area that has data.

Try enabling visible system and hidden file viewing in folder options.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html

It doesn't sound like ASC, but rather some backup solution.

Hi mikzoian

As captainron says it sounds more like a backup "problem"

This was why I asked about your settings - if you had chosen to make backups of everything - and how many?

This can be both in the program and in your general settings in your OS.

If that is so the growing will stop once the number of backups has reached their limits.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. control.exe folders (written in Run - notice extra space between exe and folders) the tab View and then choose to be able to see hidden folders.

The area missing does not show up in Explorer as files if you catch my meaning. But when I analyze the drive it shows in the picture as used space below the area that has data.

Windows backup not set up and ASC4 backup set to 4 files. McAfee back up not set up either. I am only running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Office 2010 64bit, McAfee, Skype, ASC4, and IO Bit Security 360. Cheers Mikzoian

Look in the ASC toolbox and use file explorer to see if it finds them. Also the likely reason you don't see them is because you don't enable the visible hidden and system file feature in windows explorer, I linked to a tutorial in my last post.

Hi mikzoian,

I am very curious about your lost Gigabytes too and I agree with captainron.

Will you please install PerfectDisk Pro, so we can find out what kind of files they are?

It will give you 30 days of trial, on the other hand, and in that time you can really make use of it, especially bootdefrag part of it.

Please have a look at THIS post and the following posts to download PD11 and see what I mean.

Cheers.

Mike, Windows 7 tends to create system restore points before defragmentation (not on all of them though), and of course every system restore gets bigger each time, I would limit the size of the system restore after cleaning all restore points.

Procedure:

Right click Computer icon=>click Properties=>Control Panel window=>click System protection=>System Properties window=>System Protection tab=>click Configure button=>tick Turn off system protection radio button=>click Apply button=> adjust the slider to your needs under Disk Space Usage=>click Apply button=click OK button=>System Properties window=>click Create button=>System Protection small window=>give a name to system restore point=>click Create button=>wait for creation of Sytem Restore Point=>click Close button of small window=click OK button

Personally, I create the system restore point after bootdefrag, but with that procedure, there is a risk of having restore function disabled during boot defrag, so it is advisable to follow the Procedure:above instead of my preference.

Let's see your final screenshot after bootdefrag of PD11.:grin:

Cheers.

Thanks Mike,

All the movable files, including startup files seem to be well placed.

Did you notice any response difference?

Did you use the procedure described in my previous post before the screenshot?

If the legend was seen, we could understand which Smart Placement you have used and also guess the files with quite different colors.

Cheers.

Hey

Yes I ran the steps you said to above and the disk space size was set to maximum for the C: Drive. I have lowered it to 50 GB to see if that fixes the problem from eating up all my free space. Will post a screenshot with the legend later. Cheers

Thanks mikzoian,

Your pagefile seems to be fragmented, you can have it as defragmented with running Contig.exe from Sysinternals (MS) inside BartPE which works fine for Win7 x64, or recreating it in Windows7. The most of the rest of fragmented excluded files can be the other system files and system restore files too. I am assuming you are not using laptop, so there is no hibernation file.

Cheers.

Archived