IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Impossible to start 5.0. beta...any ideas?

Hi everybody,

Well, here I am again...:)

my problem is simple to describe:

Impossible to start 5.0 beta. The program freezes before it manages to start completely but nothing happens to the computer. So I was able to kill the process every time I had to deal with the problem.

Any ideas?

Hi everybody,

Well, here I am again...:)

my problem is simple to describe:

Impossible to start 5.0 beta. The program freezes before it manages to start completely but nothing happens to the computer. So I was able to kill the process every time I had to deal with the problem.

Any ideas?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To MacPeters,

(1) I have some questions to ask because you have some missing information I would like to know, but I do note that you were fairly detailed in your computer configuration that did not come through the quote process. But the point to really make is that I have a somewhat similar configuration on two different computers and version 5.0 installed and ran on both of my computers. So immediately we know that version 5.0 is not the problem here and therefore there is something on your computer that is blocking it. And finding out what is blocking it on your computer becomes a troubleshooting problem.

(2) The first question I have is have previous versions worked on your computer but 5.0 iobit did not or has this been a problem with previous versions of iobit smart defrag also? Especially if the latter is the case, it might be worth starting out with a virgin install. Which involves removing all previous information about iobit smart defrag including all directories. And then removing all information concerning iobit smart degrag from your computer registry.

And with a virgin install, you might try it from safe mode and see if it starts and runs there. And if it starts and runs in safe mode, will it then start and run when you boot to windows?

( Installing in safe mode is something I have had to do with some programs in the past. Once installed in safe mode they work correctly. )

(3) Next trouble shooting step might be to take some rather finicky programs you have off the the windows start up list and then see if iobit smart defrag 5.0 starts and runs. The programs you have that somewhat scream at me are ssm, sandboxie, and maybe another one. You do that by going start--run--type msconfig--enter--and select startup which is the top right tab. Remove the checkbox for the one you want to check, and then reboot. If all of a sudden iobit 5.0 starts and runs, you have found what is blocking it. Then you can take the offending program and see how to configure it so that it no longer blocks iobit 5.0. But then you know exactly what trees to bark up when you place it back on the start up list.

(4) I hope you see what I am trying to say, proper troubleshooting is a systematic process to narrow the problem down rather than trying an infinite number of things at random. Make a hypothesis and then test it. Just the first steps I would try and no guarantee its in the steps I suggest. But its a starting point.

Keep us posted on your results.

Your analysis is correct except two points.

I had other problems with previous versions but never this one.

The second point and the solution to the problem is that the Uninstaller of ISD does not it's job well.

Other French-speaking users were reporting the same problem that's why I asked them to start first with the installation of 5.0. Wait until the program asks to uninstall the previous version. Go on with it. But then abort the installation and check the computer with MVRegClean.

There were entries left that were causing trouble during the installation and later.

That's has been my investigation. It took me some time. So I am going to do something else. I am going to uninstall 5.0 using the Uninstaller but directly. In other words the Uninstallation is not going to be part of an reinstallation.

I'll be back with more infos about the leftovers.

Archived