IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Stay with ASC 3.8 its better than v4

nholtom

DONT upgrade you'll be disappointed.

V4 has three background services running using over 25Mb of RAM!

V3.8 only has one service using less than 4Mb

V4 keeps crashing and sending bug reports when trying to access right click options from system tray icon.

JUST DONT GO THERE - Its like in Beta still

Developers

There are many kinds of machines out there. When a new product gets released that alters Windows Registry and the System in general, lots of bugs are going to appear.

I too am not completely happy with v4. But the world is the best testing ground and always remember that very few end-users will participate in forum discussions about these matters.

For one, they have never participated in a forum, nor do they know how. They run their machines to send email and surf the Internet. Intermediate level users are a different breed. They are curious about technology and want to find ways of tweaking the computers for best performance.

I am an expert with Windows remote help with people around the world. I like ASCPro because it does the work of four apps that I use to use and/or saves me time from manully editing the registry and applying customizations.

So. We need to visit this forum with accurate feedback and eventually v4 will get molded into the user-friendly program with added, and removed features, as the dev-team reads our input.

I want to emphasize to all readers that creating a screen-shot of your problem is the #1 way a dev team can make changes. Since I teach computer basic and advanced skills, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to learn using the Print Screen Key, Snipping Tool or any other screenshot software. Frank speaking, Print Screen is the best because you can capture Context Menus. Then open your image editing program to paste, crop and upload to a forum. I get lots of screenshots in my email because all my clients have learned, from me, how to do this properly. As the old saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words." In computer technology, a screenshot is worth 10,000 words. :-D

As an exmample. I made this screen shot to show the Context Menu for a client last year. It helped them find it right away.

Yes BUT even a BETA should be better than this!

I agree with everything you say but a full version upgrade should not be released with so many basic flaws. I am a Beta tester for other products and I don't recall any other Beta being as bad as this so called FULL Ready Completed version.

Just look at the posts coming in on this and see others dissppointment and frankly suprise! I too wouldn't have expected this from IObit.

If one cant even get the Home screen (or any screen to show except the TOOLBOX) - how buggy is that?!

I agree with everything you say but a full version upgrade should not be released with so many basic flaws. I am a Beta tester for other products and I don't recall any other Beta being as bad as this so called FULL Ready Completed version.

Just look at the posts coming in on this and see others dissppointment and frankly suprise! I too wouldn't have expected this from IObit.

If one cant even get the Home screen (or any screen to show except the TOOLBOX) - how buggy is that?!

Buggy is relative to each person's computer. You would probably not be amazed what I see in a Windows OS during a remote session. No beta progam is going to work proplery on 75% of the computers I connect to.

As I said in another post in the forum, people got all of this technology plopped in their laps around 2003. I pick that date because it's when Mom's and Dad's, Grandma's and Grandpa's needed to have a computer just like they need to have a telephone---it became a household necessity, not just a curiousity.

Think of how many people cannot run a remote control to record DVD's of their favorite shows. That's just a remote control, now magnify that sophisticated technology 1000 times and you have a computer with all kinds of variables. Should people know these things? Nope. Only people who have a passion for it.

This is why products like ASC Pro are important to the average computer user in the world, it does all the work of maintaining the system for them.

I optimize the speed of residential computers about 4 times a week, XP Vista and 7. I always encourage my clients to be curious and experiment BUT only after they have learned Basic Computer Skills. #1 Create a System Restore Point manually. Or backup the registry. Either way, those two are more important than any other computer skill.

So yes this has problems but on my system it's nothing more than a few tweaks that I can take care of. I have none of the problems most of these folks are experiencing. I just don't like the new interface and a couple features.

Lastly. Any forum you visit is filled with negatives about any software. That's what these forums are for, to take the small percentage of people whose machines are problematic to begin with and have a discussion.

.....again, it's not the user's fault. Maybe 100 years from now everyone will be expected to know all the ins and outs of a computer. But we are far from having that expecation of the average computer user. This is just too brand new, home computers I mean. :wink:

:?,,, Hummm I don't know about that? It sure runs good on every PC I install it on. I Fix, Repair & configure/Optimize 10 - 15 a week. You may want to take a closer look at your hardware... JMHO ...

V4 keeps crashing and sending bug reports when trying to access right click options from system tray icon.

When reading nholtom's last post, I'm starting to think we have a 'Ringer', logging in using Mutiple users names, with unfounded negative comments, that probably works for a Competitor of IObits software. There are other companies making similar sofware that are chargeing a lot more for theirs and they naturally don't like IObit's wide spread popularity.

Hello all just want to say I am completly self taught on computers and this is a peice of cake to use.I had version 3 and upgraded and ran the program and saw the difference right away.So I guess what I am trying to say is I am happy.:mrgreen::grin:8:)

When reading nholtom's last post, I'm starting to think we have a 'Ringer', logging in using Mutiple users names, with unfounded negative comments, that probably works for a Competitor of IObits software. There are other companies making similar sofware that are chargeing a lot more for theirs and they naturally don't like IObit's wide spread popularity.

total "background services": ASCService.exe(idle launcher), Pmonitor.exe(performace monitor(can be totally disabled from settings)), ASCTray.exe(only runs with ASC.exe and is used for optional minimize when closed)

total "problems" in "final": issue with bad sector handling(waiting on user action&feedback)

They do indeed seem to be exaggerating. I've tested it across a lot of machines both XP and 7 and it does fine. The few things I've reported on in 4 final don't make or break it; I'm the only one who has reported logical flaws.

*There is only one quality competitor and all it does is clean, and no scheduling.* It wouldn't surprise me if what you say is true though, kind of like the attacks by anti-malware 'fan-boys'.

OK Guys

Well its interesting to hear your views - thanks for posting them.

I'd like to clarify a couple of points.

I LOVE IObit ASC v3.8 and agree its a great piece of cleaning/optimizing and system utility software. I bought the Pro version from the start and even when I had to do a Vista rebuild and IObit wouldn't replace my 'lost' licence key for some strange reason, I still bought it again! (I trust that answers the comment about me being a ringer)!

Yes, when I upgraded to v4 this week, I too noticed an immediate improvement in speed (but also my CPU fan went into overdrive and would only calm down when I stopped the service ASC.exe which was stuck on about 24,500k of resource use. My other concerns and frustrations have been mentioned above.

For the moment I have uninstalled and removed all traces of v4 from my system and reinstalled v3.8 which runs like a dream and does what it says on the tin and quite stable too. I still feel that v4 is very much in Beta development and should not have been released as a completed version upgrade when it has so many basic flaws (like being unable to take control of it through a home screen that refuses to show on my system)!

I will try it again when I have some time and if IObit respond to the many bug reports they have received from my system and it looks like from many others too. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for them to issue their first patch.

Just as a matter of interest - what other system software do you fellow tweakers rate? :roll:

ASC V4 problems under XP

Spent 2 days testing V4 and established these problems:

1. Defrag ignores any % value set and ALWAYS defrags.

2. Massive increase in Registry size of 50 to 100%.

3. System Optimize in Deep Care, deletes program links from Start menu.

Un-check this option on Deep Care menu before using V4.

Tried it on 5 computers and gone back to V3.8

:?,,, Hummm I don't know about that? It sure runs good on every PC I install it on. I Fix, Repair & configure/Optimize 10 - 15 a week. You may want to take a closer look at your hardware... JMHO ...

You're working with new computers friend, I work with Windows computers that have never had any expert tweak the system. Of course everything is going to work for you.:lol:

My job is full-out troublshooting and reinstalling Windows 2 miles to 8000 miles away from my home via remote connections.

As for the popeye guy. You're way off base old boy if you are referring to me about being negative about ASCPro. I am an affiliate and a long time licensed user. I just don't like the Interface; which I have explained to you already in this forum.

Popeye guy. Do you ever look at a person's Profile? If they are technolphiles, then there are full details, including home pages. :wink:

ASC v4 > ASC v3

v4 Is Only Crashing For You Because You Most Likely Have a Older CPU Or Low RAM And The ASC v4 is NOT in Beta And I In Fact Like v4 For New Features and Tools Such as Skins And "Win Fix" Also Powerful Scanning Overall I Enjoy v4 Better i Recommend You Upgrade Your RAM Or Get a Bigger Hard-drive Low Memory Can Slow You Down For Hard-drive Space And RAM And Cause Crashes.

As for the popeye guy. You're way off base old boy if you are referring to me about being negative about ASCPro. I am an affiliate and a long time licensed user. I just don't like the Interface; which I have explained to you already in this forum.

Popeye guy. Do you ever look at a person's Profile? If they are technolphiles, then there are full details, including home pages. :wink:

???

If you will read my post again, there is another user's name there, NOT yours.

Unless both are really the same person ??? ;-)

Popeye guy! (I Like It!, Thanks for the new Handle)

go back???

I have downloaded the Free ASC v4 (upgraded (?) from the previous version). You screwed up on this version - badly. I absolutely do NOT like it. It drags my computer to a crawl and adds some kind of flag that I do not understand to the upper right of my screen. I have uninstalled v4. I will do without before I will use v4. Is the previous Free ASC version 3.x.x available to download and continue to use?

The Flag is a great little 'Performance Monitor' utility.

(click on it to expand it)

You can easily disable the PM in Settings >> Performance Monitor, by removing checkmarks from boxes, which are automatic-load options.

Only when the utilities are Running will they Slow your computer, so they are probably running in background,

silently monitoring and fixing your computer.

I would suggest disableing all automatic load functions, in settings, until you determine which you want to run automaticly.

Try It! You Will Like It! :wink:

Where did you get V3.8 from to redownload?

Well its interesting to hear your views - thanks for posting them.

I'd like to clarify a couple of points.

I LOVE IObit ASC v3.8 and agree its a great piece of cleaning/optimizing and system utility software. I bought the Pro version from the start and even when I had to do a Vista rebuild and IObit wouldn't replace my 'lost' licence key for some strange reason, I still bought it again! (I trust that answers the comment about me being a ringer)!

Yes, when I upgraded to v4 this week, I too noticed an immediate improvement in speed (but also my CPU fan went into overdrive and would only calm down when I stopped the service ASC.exe which was stuck on about 24,500k of resource use. My other concerns and frustrations have been mentioned above.

For the moment I have uninstalled and removed all traces of v4 from my system and reinstalled v3.8 which runs like a dream and does what it says on the tin and quite stable too. I still feel that v4 is very much in Beta development and should not have been released as a completed version upgrade when it has so many basic flaws (like being unable to take control of it through a home screen that refuses to show on my system)!

I will try it again when I have some time and if IObit respond to the many bug reports they have received from my system and it looks like from many others too. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for them to issue their first patch.

Just as a matter of interest - what other system software do you fellow tweakers rate? :roll:

I have a 4 core 2.8 Mhz Phenom processor and 4 GB ram running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit for those who scream, "Oh, you need to upgrade your hardware." My hardware IS upgraded and ASC v4 drags my computer to a crawl often requiring 90 seconds and sometimes longer to open programs that opened almost instantaneously before installation - and since un-installation - of v4. SO DON"T TELL ME I NEED TO UPGRADE MY HARDWARE!! My question is how can I now obtain a copy of ASC v3.8 to reinstall on my computer? I have un-installed v4 and have my computer restored to normal operation and would like to reinstall the well functioning v3.8.

Perhaps v4 is not in beta, but it certainly is half baked and needs to go back into beta for extensive refinement.

The Flag is a great little 'Performance Monitor' utility.

(click on it to expand it)

You can easily disable the PM in Settings >> Performance Monitor, by removing checkmarks from boxes, which are automatic-load options.

Only when the utilities are Running will they Slow your computer, so they are probably running in background,

silently monitoring and fixing your computer.

I would suggest disableing all automatic load functions, in settings, until you determine which you want to run automaticly.

Try It! You Will Like It!

V3.8 only has one service using less than 4Mbl.........

I think that depends on the available Ram. On my 2Gig system ver 3.8 is using about 40 meg ram.

Version 3.8 FREE still available!

I have downloaded the Free ASC v4 (upgraded (?) from the previous version). You screwed up on this version - badly. I absolutely do NOT like it. It drags my computer to a crawl and adds some kind of flag that I do not understand to the upper right of my screen. I have uninstalled v4. I will do without before I will use v4. Is the previous Free ASC version 3.x.x available to download and continue to use?

Yes John

You can still download the FREE v3.8 (only 7.77MB instead of 29MB+ for V4)from the link at the bottom of the following page: - http://www.iobit.com/download.html

Regards

[Edit by melvin_deal]: The link for version 3.8 is no longer on that page.

Yes John

You can still download the FREE v3.8 (only 7.77MB instead of 29MB+ for V4)from the link at the bottom of the following page: - http://www.iobit.com/download.html

Regards

I too am downgrading. But how do I get v4 to un-optimize everything first? V4 has broken, er......"optimized" stuff that still needs to be fixed, like erased menu's, programs that are stuck minimized in the tray etc. I "upgraded" when v4 came-out of beta--so, it's been too long to do a restore point.

Uninstaller

I too am downgrading. But how do I get v4 to un-optimize everything first? V4 has broken, er......"optimized" stuff that still needs to be fixed, like erased menu's, programs that are stuck minimized in the tray etc. I "upgraded" when v4 came-out of beta--so, it's been too long to do a restore point.

I don't know if this answers the issue you are questioning, but I used REVO Uninstaller to uninstall v4 so I would have a "clean slate" to reinstall the previous version. This should clear, delete, un-install, etc., all the v4 .dll files and all the registry files left behind by a standard windows un-install. I have not had any issues or further complications by following this procedure.

edit: Thanks, nholtom, for the link. I had found a 3.7 that I had saved on one of my harddrives and reinstalled that version, then upgraded to 3.8 from the link you posted here. Thanks.

V4 problems

IOBit have promised V4.01 with bug fixes by the end of May.

On my PC V4 doubled the size of the registry and slowed the whole computer down. So my best advice is to do what I did: Uninstall V4, do a system restore to before V4 was first installed, and then install V3.8.

If that is not possible then just avoid Deep Care like the plague.

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite disappointed with the version 4. It crashed my computer when I installed it and when I rebooted my computer it froze my computer when it rebooted, so I tried rebooting again but I got the same result. I had no other choice but to reboot with safe mode and uninstall the version 4 and put the 3.8 instead which never caused me any problem. It appears that the app puts itself at startup without asking you first and make the computer crash at reboot.

I'm a maniac for startup, I always check whenever I install something that the app doesn't start with Windows and I use also apps for that because some apps put themselves at startup even if you put in their options you don't want that, which is really annoying (msconfig is a good one too). I make sure only the apps I want starts with Windows. I also check the apps running in the background and eliminate those that are not necessary.

And my setup is this:

Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium

8 Gig Ram DDR3

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHZ

I'm a gamer so I'm not a noob, I always double-triple check everything (anti-virus, spywares, etc.), I ensure my computer is smooth, cleaned and well defragmented so I can play videogames with max settings. I bought Game Booster by Iobit and I like it.

I really hope Iobit will fix this major bug in their next version. And I agree, don't install version 4, stick with 3.8.

Archived