IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

AWC Personal Edition Messed Up My Desktop

Juan Largo

Immediately after running AWC and letting it "repair" over 175 registry errors and 75 configuration problems, I noticed that chunks of my desktop wallpaper began disappearing and replaced with gray boxes. When I clicked on a button on the taskbar, a small gray box would appear behind the button on the desktop. When I closed a window, a gray box would appear where the window had been. When I clicked on Restore under Desktop Properties, the entire desktop would turn gray. When I restored the desktop wallpaper to the original .jpg image, the disappearing wallpaper would begin all over again.

I was running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 on a HP Pavilion a1630n. I have a NVidia GE Force 6150 on-board graphics card with the most recent NVidia driver (169-12).

Does anyone know what happened? I had also run IOBit SmartDefrag, so maybe that messed things up.

BTW, I restored my C:\ partition with an image I had made just prior to installing AWC, so everything is back to where it was before I installed it.

Hi Juan

My guess is that you ran the repair without checking the details, especially System settings.

System settings is configured to run the system with as few resources as possible, I think. That means that everything that requires more resources is set to use as few as possible.

You can go back to Windows settings by going into My Computer (right click) and configure the setting to run in the recommended Windows mode.

Then next time you run a repair I would advise you to check the details in System settings before you run the repair.

Cheers

solbjerg

Immediately after running AWC and letting it "repair" over 175 registry errors and 75 configuration problems, I noticed that chunks of my desktop wallpaper began disappearing and replaced with gray boxes. When I clicked on a button on the taskbar, a small gray box would appear behind the button on the desktop. When I closed a window, a gray box would appear where the window had been. When I clicked on Restore under Desktop Properties, the entire desktop would turn gray. When I restored the desktop wallpaper to the original .jpg image, the disappearing wallpaper would begin all over again.

I was running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 on a HP Pavilion a1630n. I have a NVidia GE Force 6150 on-board graphics card with the most recent NVidia driver (169-12).

Does anyone know what happened? I had also run IOBit SmartDefrag, so maybe that messed things up.

BTW, I restored my C:\ partition with an image I had made just prior to installing AWC, so everything is back to where it was before I installed it.

solbjerg -

Thanks for your response. I should have paid closer attention to what AWC was going to do before letting it go ahead. Shame on me! :oops:

I never had any problems running CCleaner and Eusing Registry Cleaner, and I guess I just got into the habit of not questioning what was going to happen next. I forgot that I'm the one who's ultimately responsible for my computer. :lol:

Archived