IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IE 8 Suggested Sites Problem

Ted

I do have FireFox and Google Chrome, but I prefer my IE 8. For some time now I have been deleting the never-ending "Suggested Sites" icons which keep appearing in my Favorites folder. This is a very common problem and no solution I've seen offered has helped at all. However, I have now found its source. Whenever I run CCleaner and then IE8 a new "Suggested Sites" icon is generated (incidentally these icons have no Target set so are just a waste of space). Below is the log file of the latest files cleaned

up with CCleaner. Can anyone tell me which is the offending one?

I've just run ASC 4 and it's done the same thing!

CLEANING COMPLETE - (2.856 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0.61 MB removed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of files deleted

Internet Explorer - Temporary Internet Files 625 KB 15 files

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QNR05YJD\nav_logo78[1].png 29 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UMJD4C71\favicon[1].ico 1 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\HET5T1SQ\8eebbc264f4fd08d[1].js 42 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UMJD4C71\g-button-chocobo-basic-2[1].gif 1 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\HET5T1SQ\google_co_nz[1].htm 39 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QNR05YJD\b_8d5afc09[1].png 10 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\IC8VH1SC\logo1w[1].png 8 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\HET5T1SQ\favicon[1].ico 2 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\HET5T1SQ\g-button-chocobo-basic-1[1].gif 9 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QNR05YJD\sem_d9a018401fc6c1b310c6c3d97866e254[1].js 14 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QNR05YJD\close_sm[1].gif 1 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UMJD4C71\mgyhp_sm[1].png 1 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\IC8VH1SC\chrome-48[1].png 2 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\IC8VH1SC\ZRY3boew7Xs[1].js 185 KB

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\AntiPhishing\2CEDBFBC-DBA8-43AA-B1FD-CC8E6316E3E2.dat 288 KB

I prefer my IE 8. For some time now I have been deleting the never-ending "Suggested Sites" icons which keep appearing in my Favorites folder.

Thank you very much for the Info.

I also saw that happen, several times, when using IE-8,

but has not happened since I changed to IE-9.

So I assumed that change had fixed it, but now I'm not sure?

On or Off Option ?

Windows XP - Internet Explorer 8

I don't normally use Internet Explorer but I went and had a look and I don't have any Suggested Sites icons listed in Favorites.

Favorites > Favorites Bar > Suggested Sites

When I clicked on Suggested Sites < [noparse]https://ieonline.microsoft.com/enablesuggestedsites.aspx[/noparse] > the webpage said Suggested Sites was turned Off with the option to turn it On. See Image:

When you go there does it give you the option to turn it Off?

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7890&stc=1&d=1310271427

All the best, woz of oz

Hi there, Woz,

Yes, I've just checked and Suggested Sites is turned off. Actually IE8 just appears to be creating the useless shortcut the first time it is opened after CCleaner or ASC 4 has cleaned the Temporary Internet Files. You can finish up with a swag of them in the folder.

• 7 months later...

C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 (the IE can be the next Number or any)

hi there all IE browsers have them :you will find them on any and all windows Os used..this is where thy store files when you log to the net if you look care fully every time you delete them thy are automatic, replaced at every boot .even if empty or literally dilute the temporary directory,thy will be replaced. (it stores all sites you visit and all gift files(excreta.) C Cleaner empty the 4 directory, or one can remove them but are replaced striate away by 4 new ones...the only difference is win 7 hides them from your view.In Xp thy are not hidden,

now the reason is its supposed to save you downloading the same files every time you visit the same site.so it loads faster.but also used to store any thing

so called temporary,, if not cleaned out can crow huge, in the early days before I Knew about this I remember one time thy grew to 70 mg.witch was at that time huge .sitting on a drive..

Hope this Helps ex planes them

let me explain a bit more ,say you download many pictures. jpg,or bmps.

you will find the same duplicate in the temporary files (IE) if left .and not cleanse out or diluted,this store any and all sort of junk from the net..headers gifs,mostly..i have seen many zip files and advertisements loaded as well

all browsers do this even fire fox..or what ever you use.you Just need To be aware This happens.

Cleaners just empty them .but are replaced as soon as you log back on to a site... depending what you allow in our out..if you block them then every time you log on thy are still stored on the drive.or it fails to load..depending what the site loads up on the drive..for it to be seen by you...when viewing it.if you block certain advertisement Lets say if may fail to load a site..??

that then allows you to view the site.

the 4 categories are loaded

1 Web Page

2 Outgoing headers

3Incoming Headers

4 Gifts or and or any picture files.or information of your system.(spy)

Java files are stored as well.

that why if blocked you may fail to load the site that insist on this.

Block any or some in and out may fail to load or you to be able to see the site..

for example U TUBE block (in or out headers) and you can not view the Flicks..and complain you need to install Adobe.

I have posted over the years Much to do on this and received Harcourt feed back It is and always a twitchy Talking point Many rebuff on this.tho a few agree with my stand on this..its personal What you block and how you Do it.

Mr Bean

Archived