IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions for Smart Defrag v2

samr

A little embarrassed now... it actually works!

I'm a little embarrassed now :oops: ...

SmartDefrag DOES update the volume list when I connect an external HDD. It turns out the whole "problem" was due to a combination of Windows taking a looong time to display the volumes on this particular disk (not only in SmartDefrag, but in Windows Explorer as well), and me being a little short on patience. After a bit of waiting, I concluded that it wouldn't update, so I shut down SmartDefrag and restarted it. The extra time spent on that was of course enough for the system to recognize the volumes, while I thought the restart had done the trick. (Same procedure several times).

Anyway, thanks for your replies, and sorry for wasting your time!

:oops:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Not files! Fragments of file.

Cos there is no sense to defrag fragments smaller than 50-100mb.

In same time 100mb file can be fragmented to 1000 peaces and that's no good. But for example, if it consists of two 50mb fragments, there is no sense to defrag it.

• 2 weeks later...

ver 2.8 Fixes XP freezing issue

Hey - the latest update to Smart Defrag (ver 2.8) seems to have fixed the XP freeze for me. This is awesome! Currently being used on a laptop and 2 desktops, and not 1 has frozen since I updated.

This is awesome - go for it.

hi Einstein

My transparity setting also say 255

I have XP sp.3 and have no problem scrolling or otherwise.

A totally clean install is all I can come up with, sorry.

Cheers

solbjerg

• 4 weeks later...

SD 2.8 and above - suggestions

Hi. After reading this long thread, here are my suggestions and justification:

1) SD run as a service not just as a startup program:

The reason for this is for SD to start working even if no user has logged in, this

is a must have for windows servers, but for other editions of windows it's also great because as soon as windows starts or a user logs off, SD is able to start working before loading some additional files, hence further optimizing the HDD.

2) make SD 64-bit:

32-bit programs works on 64-bit, but if a program "IS" 64-bit then it performs better in 64-bit environment. this could be handled in two different ways:

A) to have two installers, one for 32-bit and another for 64-bit

B) that the installer has both versions, it will install 32 bit for 32 bit windows and 64 bit for 64 bit windows or let the user decide what version to install.

3) Allow to fully resize columns, list of drives and drive map (and any other layout item) and to store the new configuration, so that every time you open SD the customized layout presentation is perserved. I noticed that this point is well explained in this thread:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=15675 by enoskype

4) A more comprehensive boot time defrag:

Right now boot time defrags:Page file, Hibernation file, MFT and system files.

Would be great to add the default defrag methods to also be performed at boot time:

A) Defrag

B) Defrag and Fast Optimize

C) Defrag and Full Optimize

The reason?, for SD to further defrag and/or optimize the drive(s). Specially for the "C" drive, since some files could not even get defragmented by SD because they are in use. For example. If I have a startup program like an AV, firewall, etc. the open files are not defragmented and they are not considered system files, hence they are not defragmented with the current boot time defrag

And let the user choose decide when to do a Defrag, Defrag and Fast Optimize, and Defrag and Full Optimize.

For example, the recomended boot time is every 7 day first boot.

So in a separate setting you could choose how often the other defrag methods will be run, and allow each method to be configured inidividually, for example:

Defrag - Every 7 day first boot

Defrag and Fast Optimize - Every 14 day first boot

Defrag and Full Optimize - Every 60 day first boot.

Obviously Iobit would define the default setting, just as the "every 7 day first boot" for the current boot time. perhaps the recommended setting will be to have disable those additional 3 boot time defrag?

5) SD to be aware when a USB drive is going to be safely remove:

Sometimes when you want to safely remove a USB flash drive or USB EHDD, SD will not allow to do that, even if the USB drive is not set for automatic defrag.

That feature should also work for USB drives that are set for automatic defrag and that are being defragmented, so SD detects the "Safely Remove" request and releases the drives for safe removal.

6) Improve the drive map, so SD mark with a different color the page file, the hibernation file, the VSS files and the system files:

Doing so will give a better idea of how fragmented are those files, since at this moment all that files are all grouped as "ummovable files"

Hope my suggestions get considered to improve SD :-D

• 2 weeks later...

I think a must have feature is:

All users installation.

SD 2.8 installs only for the current user, so if another user logs then SD will not start

This could be addressed with two methods:

1) Include an option to install to all users

2) Make SD to run as a service. I think this is the best approach, sine SD could start working without any user logged.

• 3 weeks later...

Smart Defrag 2.8.1 Pro?

Why is that IOBit only offers the pro version of SD with a licensed copy of ASC 6 pro and not with ultimate as well. Seeing how ASC is a little bit more expensive license should we not be allowed to get all the benefits of your software. I think this is outrageous since I payed for 6 licenses of ultimate and have referred family and friends to your software. Many of them who have purchased said software. Than when you make a post on facebook and I say its unfair that it is not included with ultimate you like my comment and basically act like it is funny. You guys may think it is comical but I do not.

Hi TJB1982,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Actually, Smart Defrag Pro is a different software from Advanced SystemCare or Advanced SystemCare Ultimate and it needs different license code to activate it to get PRO features no matter you already have ASC Pro or ASC Ultimate.

Certainly, you can always download Smart Defrag free from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_smartdefrag.html And the SD Pro version from http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcarepro.php ( But you need to purchase a license code to activate it)

Thanks for choosing IObit to care your PC.

Smart Defag PRO download link.

Certainly, you can always download Smart Defrag free from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_smartdefrag.html And the SD Pro version from http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcarepro.php ( But you need to purchase a license code to activate it)

Hi Cicely,

The second link http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcarepro.php is for Advanced SystemCare PRO, so not for Smart Defrag Pro.

I also need a link for Smart Defrag Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Hi TJB1982,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Actually, Smart Defrag Pro is a different software from Advanced SystemCare or Advanced SystemCare Ultimate and it needs different license code to activate it to get PRO features no matter you already have ASC Pro or ASC Ultimate.

Thanks for choosing IObit to care your PC.

I should not need to buy a pro code when I already have asc ultimate licensed and I sure shouldn't need to see this in my inbox.

Conversation started today

4:25am

Martino IObit

sorry, that we write to you

we wanted to give you a IObit Smart Defrag Pro

but

You were not nice

It would be good, if you were nice the next time

maybe there is then a isd pro license code

have a nice day

sincerely

IObit

martino IObit

Chief executive officer by IObit

ps: an ISD Pro is not free / an ISD Pro costs money, also for ASC Pro user

as if I asked for a handout or something? I only stated that if it is offered with the asc pro it should be included with my subscription to ultimate as well. I was not rude on facebook either it was iobit that treated my feedback like it was a joke and all I said was I don't think its funny. You guys really need a course in good business ethics because this is not the path to take with a loyal customer!!!!

Hi TJB1982,

Please keep the conversation with IObit in private in the Forum even if it was open in Facebook.

Facebook and Forum are run independently and also IObit staff here are not responsible from IObit's Facebook.

CEO by IObit of Facebook is CEO of IObit Facebook not IObit CEO.

Thank you and cheers.

Hi TJB1982,

Please keep the conversation with IObit in private in the Forum even if it was open in Facebook.

Facebook and Forum are run independently and also IObit staff here is not responsible from IObit's Facebook.

CEO by IObit of Facebook is CEO of IObit Facebook not IObit CEO.

Thank you and cheers.

ok enoskype i apologize can you please give me the appropriate e-mail address to address this with iobit?

EDIT: support@iobit.com to the attention of Cicely.

Since I could not delete my old post about the rudeness from Martino I wanted to say thank you to the support staff at iobit.com because they did everything they could for me 110% to make sure I was satisfied with there resolution. I did not want to leave it appearing like iobit didn't rectify the situation. Thank you to all of the support staff once again from iobit you guys are wonderful :)