IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

boot time defrag wont let me open smart defrag

endorakai

i keep getting this popup:

another instance or smart defrag portable is currently closing. please wait for it to finish before launching it again.

it has worked absolutely fine without errors until one day i just wanted to know how much it would benefit me to select boot time defrag option. now i cant even open smart defrag portable nor can i change the settings

(i have to open it to do so)

HELP!

Hi endorakai

Do you mean to say that you use SD from at usb-stick?

Do you have any other program from IObit running with the automatic functions enabled?

Can you remove the usb-stick and restart the computer?

Did you wait long enough for the operations to finish?

Cheers

solbjerg

i keep getting this popup:

another instance or smart defrag portable is currently closing. please wait for it to finish before launching it again.

it has worked absolutely fine without errors until one day i just wanted to know how much it would benefit me to select boot time defrag option. now i cant even open smart defrag portable nor can i change the settings

(i have to open it to do so)

HELP!

i use portable versions of any software i can because i like the mobility of them and also the fact it keeps my registry as thin as possible.

it is not on a usb drive, and there is nothing i can see i can do

i start my comp it has boot time defrag on, and wont let me open it

nothing has changed from the working sd or my comp except boot time...

also since from the very moment i log into my user on comp i cant open it i have to wait.

but it never goes away and it doesnt show up in processes (task manager), so i cant force a stop.

it just simply never stops, no matter how many times i reboot, reinstall, or delete and then install fresh

Hi endorakai, welccome to Iobit Forum!:-D

Sorry, but I don't agree with you about the worth of boot time defrag function in Smart defrag.

It is one of the rare free defragmenters to do that. Try it for a fragmented pagefile in Win7 and see the difference with others.

BTW, at todays configuration smart defrag is not designed to be used as portable.

FYI, IObit does not give permission for that software to be publicly made available for downloadable portable version and certainly, takes no responsibility of anybody using it.

EDIT:

There seems to be 3 IObit products (Smart Defrag, IObit Uninstaller, and IObit Toolbox) made portable by PortableApps.com.

PortableApps.com says that they have permission from IObit.

Helper Administrators and Moderators in this Forum are not aware of the presence of those 3 portable IObit applications.

There was only once an official version of an IObit software made portable by IObit and it was Advanced SystemCare Free v3 Portable Edition .

Cheers.

that still doesnt tell me how i downloaded it from iobit after googling a portable version.

furthermore, a difference in opinion doesnt answer the needs to which this post was created...

It was solely created to find a means of turning it off (the boot time defrag) without opening it.

This comp has been on for over 3 days now (79 hours and counting), when is it going to be considered closed so i can open the program?

Why isnt it possible to see the program running from the task manager?

Why is this thing getting permission to do it once and never allowing me to run it ever again?

And yes its iobit software, so please tell me either how to get it working again or at least tell me if i can delete it while its running

(despite normal windows setup: because i dont think it running, i dont see it in taskmgr.exe?)

LMAO! it was an experiment, but i opened:

(location you put smartdefrag folder in)\SmartDefragPortable\Data\settings\

SmartDefragPortableSetting.ini-> changed it where it says:

LastDirectory=(change it to location smartdefrag portable folder is),

then i opened the (location you put smartdefrag folder in)\SmartDefragPortable\Data

-> opened the "PortableApps.comLauncherRuntimeData-SmartDefragPortable.ini" and

changed it to say:

Status=running

PluginsDir=(location you put smartdefrag folder in)\SmartDefragPortable\App\SmartDefrag

[FailedRegistryKeys]

-=true

DONE! ITS OVER! NEVER USING BOOT TIME DEFRAG AGAIN!

oh, and it runs perfectly fine now

dont know how to lock this thread someone do that kthxbai

Not an official IObit release

that still doesnt tell me how i downloaded it from iobit after googling a portable version......

It is not possible that you "downloaded it from IObit" because, as enoskype stated, IObit has never released a Portable version of Smart Defrag.

BTW, at todays configuration smart defrag is not designed to be used as portable.

FYI, IObit does not give permission for that software to be publicly made available for downloadable portable version and certainly, takes no responsibility of anybody using it.

The copy you have must be a 'Portable hack' that could cause problems, and it has.

I did Google a portable version and found one site but the download does not come from IObit it downloads from the site.

This is not an official IObit release, this is a 'Portable hack'

Please send a Private Message to enoskype or wozofoz and include a copy of the link you downloaded the Portable version from so we can investigate it further.

Please do not post the link in the forum, we don't want other members to download this 'portable hack' and suffer the same problems you did.

All the best, woz of oz

I found one at a PortableApps website, and it appears to be the normal 2.0.1 version,

but it says "It's packaged in PortableApps.com Format". What ever that means???

And it Also says:

"Smart Defrag is a trademark of IOBit and is packaged for portable use with permission"

So, they appear to think they have permission to modify it ?

Thanks

Thankyou Toppack, I was not aware of this PortableApps version.

I wonder if this is the version endorakai is using?

I can't find a download or even an 'advertisment' for an official IObit Smart Defrag portable version anywhere on the IObit website.

It seems strange to me that there is a PortableApps version yet IObit has not released a Portable version themselves.

IObit has released IObit Toolbox which is filled with portable software but clicking on Smart Defrag in Toolbox only takes you to the IObit website to download the setup.exe not a portable version.

So why have a PortableApps version but not an official IObit portable version when IObit has demonstrated that they are willing to make portable versions of their software when it is possible and safe to do so?

I will investigate!

All the best, woz of oz

Boot Time Defrag is disabled

Hi,

I'm the developer of the portable version of Smart Defrag over at PortableApps.com. I have obtained permission from Kevin Zhou to publish most of IObit's free software including IObit Uninstaller, Smart Defrag, and some other software that has not been officially released yet, including Game Booster, IObit Toolbox, and IObit Security 360 (which was discontinued). Absolutely none of these programs have been modified. A separate program was created to handle file and registry settings so that no traces of running smart defrag are left behind on the computer that is being used. For more information about how these portable versions were created, refer to http://portableapps.com/development

The boot time option in Smart Defrag Portable has been disabled by default and should not be enabled, for several reasons, the largest of which being that the application will not be portable if this were available.

In order to fix the problem, you'll need to go to your SmartDefragPortable\Data folder and delete the file "PortableApps.comLauncherRuntimeData-SmartDefragPortable.ini." I'm not sure what you said you had done earlier, but you seem to have fixed the problem.

For reference to the other IObit applications I've made portable, check out these pages:

Smart Defrag Portable: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/smart_defrag_portable

IObit Uninstaller Portable: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/iobit_uninstaller_portable

Game Booster Portable: http://portableapps.com/node/24506

IObit Toolbox Portable: http://portableapps.com/node/24658

IObit Security 360 Portable (dead): http://portableapps.com/node/24807

Archived