IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

disabling scan of external hard drive

jdrecords

Hi I tried a search but came up empty on how to do this. Please hlep if you can. I need to stop IObot from accessing my external hard drive. It's not allowing me to use my exteranl hard drive which is frustrating. Please see belwo which i got from the WD Elements External hard drive website on what needs to be fixed.

Problem:

Trying to use the Safely Remove Hardware results in a message that the external drive cannot be stopped or unmounted.

Cause:

1.In most cases this is caused by an anti-virus or anti-spyware application installed on your PC. You will need to contact your specific anti-virus or anti-spyware's publisher for assistance determining if this is the case.

2.If the drive contains an NTFS partition, indexing may be enabled.

3.There may be some other third party software that is still accessing the drive. This software most often is security, storage management, or backup utilities.

4.If your drive includes WD SmartWare it may be activly scanning your system. Ensure you have stopped any in progress backup operations.

Solution:

1.Configure or disable the function of your anti-virus or anti-spyware so that it is not using your drive. For assistance doing this please contact the publisher of that software.

2.To check for indexing in Windows, access My Computer (on Windows XP) or Computer (on Windows Vista or 7) and right-click on the drive letter assigned to the drive. Select Properties. You should see the Allow Indexing option under the default tab. If this is checked, uncheck it.

3.If neither of the above solutions solves the problem, you may have another third-party software that is still accessing the drive. Make sure you close all open documents and programs before you try to stop the drive. Also, try disabling third-party applications that are not part of the operating system in the Windows Task Manager. If all else fails, shutting down the computer first will safely stop the drive. You can then unplug the drive from the computer and/or power.

I need to stop IObot from accessing my external hard drive. It's not allowing me to use my exteranl hard drive which is frustrating.

IObit produces Many different software programs.

Is it one of the Utility programs in ASC-4 that is accessing the External drive?

If so, Which utility?

(disable individual programs to determine that, by clicking on check-box at left side of window)

If not ASC-4, which one are you using?

If it's Smart-defrag, just remove the check-mark to left of that drive, at top of main window.

• 4 weeks later...

smart defrag is accessing my external drive

I have the same problem. I have that drive box unchecked on smart defrag menu to disable defragmentation on the external drive. I cannot use the "safe removal" function on my drive because the message says it cannot be stopped. When I run my Unlocker utility program it tells me that the path is locked by "smartdrag.exe". When I use the utility to unlock the drive, the safe removal procedure works with no problem. I have gone through this routine several times over the past week including after restarting my computer. It is clearly a problem with the smart defrag program.

Hi Nuanced

I wonder if you are running smart defrag in automatic mode.

Cheers

solbjerg

I have the same problem. I have that drive box unchecked on smart defrag menu to disable defragmentation on the external drive. I cannot use the "safe removal" function on my drive because the message says it cannot be stopped. When I run my Unlocker utility program it tells me that the path is locked by "smartdrag.exe". When I use the utility to unlock the drive, the safe removal procedure works with no problem. I have gone through this routine several times over the past week including after restarting my computer. It is clearly a problem with the smart defrag program.

Archived