IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Disk Explorer

I've just been using the disk explorer facility on AWC2 and discovered a lot of so called Rubbish files on my hard drive. Is it ok to delete these files or should I backup everything first. All suggestions will be gratefully accepted

Hi Carryduff,

I would rather be selective and backup everything first, in case something goes wrong.

For example, if you are using Yahoo widgets, Thumbs.db files of widgets are seen as rubbish files and they are not.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Rubbish Files

I JUST HAD A LOOK AND MOST OF THEM ARE THUMB db can you delete them i think thay are mainly in my pictures and music thay are when you get photoes of your camera and put on computer it leaves a thumb db in the file or folder you put the photoes in:?

Please decide to delete or not to delete the Thumbs.db files after reading the following.

Windows XP, by default, shows the thumbnails view of certain folders, whether you want it to or not. Even if you choose Details as your default by going to Tools => Folder Options => View tab and click "Apply to All Folders", Explorer may still revert back to the clumsy Thumbnails view. It does this for any folder in which it finds the THUMBS.DB file; naturally, if you delete this file, it won't happen again.

The problem is that Windows seems to repeatedly recreate the THUMBS.DB file automatically. Here's how to stop this from happening:

1. In Explorer, go to Tools => Folder Options or open the Folder Options icon in the Control Panel.
  2. Choose the "View" tab, and turn off the "Do not cache thumbnails "option.
  3. Click Ok.

You can also change this setting in the Registry:

1. Open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
  2. Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.
  3. Double click the "DisableThumbnailCache" value, or go to Edit => New => DWORD value to create a new value by that name.
  4. Enter "1" for its value.
  5. Click OK and close the Registry Editor when you are done; you will have to log off and then log back on for this to take effect.

Cheers.

Archived