IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC4 vs Firefox

DngnRdr

I installed ASC4 and was quite impressed with apparent improvements to my system till I found that Firefox (7.0.1) was no longer accepting changes to settings, cookies etc.... anytime I'd restart the browser it be unchanged and settings reverted.

I wound up uninstalling ASC4 and then deleting the prefs.js and couple of other firefox files, then having to reset most of my preferences but it was working again and keeping any changes etc I was making.

I'd like to reinstall ASC but need to know what caused this problem so I can avoid it recurring in future.

Hi DngnRdr

In Usage of IObit Products (links in my signature) it is recommended that one run the program manually the first couple of times in order to check ALL found "problems" and place those one doesn't want to "clean" in the Ignore list.

After everything is configured to ones preferences one can start utilizing the automatic functions.

Usage of IObit Products is not fully updated but all general functions work in the same way as described there.

It is also a good idea to read/study the user manual.

Cheers

solbjerg

I installed ASC4 and was quite impressed with apparent improvements to my system till I found that Firefox (7.0.1) was no longer accepting changes to settings, cookies etc.... anytime I'd restart the browser it be unchanged and settings reverted.

I wound up uninstalling ASC4 and then deleting the prefs.js and couple of other firefox files, then having to reset most of my preferences but it was working again and keeping any changes etc I was making.

I'd like to reinstall ASC but need to know what caused this problem so I can avoid it recurring in future.

It was done manually - no automatic features were turned on at all, and I read the manual as well as each thing that was activated but I can't figure out what it was that "locked" Firefox and wasn't allowing any changes to Firefox preferences/cookies - nothing I read or saw on screen seemed to be doing something like that - unless I missed something.

Also, on the ignore list, if you hit the arrow to move an item from the cookies to delete to the cookies to keep, it seems to copy rather than move, so the cookie is then listed in both lists - delete and keep.

Hi DngnRdr

Did you click the "Allow cookies from safe sites" possibility?

As for the Ignore list - as I see it the main thing is that those designated to be ignored in the "cleaning" is ignored.

I think that the left side enumerates all visited sites that have placed a cookie by you, so the ignored (right side) will show the cookies to be ignored in the "cleaning.

Cheers

solbjerg

It was done manually - no automatic features were turned on at all, and I read the manual as well as each thing that was activated but I can't figure out what it was that "locked" Firefox and wasn't allowing any changes to Firefox preferences/cookies - nothing I read or saw on screen seemed to be doing something like that - unless I missed something.

Also, on the ignore list, if you hit the arrow to move an item from the cookies to delete to the cookies to keep, it seems to copy rather than move, so the cookie is then listed in both lists - delete and keep.

Hi dngnRdr

You can view all your cookies by using %userprofile%\cookies in Run, this command will call up the cookie folder.

Cheers

solbjerg

The two columns have headings.... Cookies to delete, Cookies to keep. And some cookies are listed in both columns.

You can view all your cookies by using %userprofile%\cookies in Run

I have tried to look at the 'cookies' folder before

but I Always get an 'Access Denied' message,

even though Full access is set in Permissions.

(trying Both Run-line and File-manager)

So, I was never able to look at that folder. :-|

Hi Toppack

In control panel/ Folder settings there is an option to view hidden files and folders. When this is chosen you should be able to see the folder in C:\Documents and Settings\user name (admin)\Cookies

and the afore mentioned command in Run will show this folder too.

At least that is how it is in XP - is it different in Win7?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. folder options can be reached too by writing control.exe folders in Run - notice space between exe and folders

p.p.s. Win7 may have taken that option away for the sake of security - when they achieve the ultimate goal of making it impossible to do anything with the computer, they will have made it absolutely safe!! :-)

I have tried to look at the 'cookies' folder before

but I Always get an 'Access Denied' message,

even though Full access is set in Permissions.

(trying Both Run-line and File-manager)

So, I was never able to look at that folder. :-|

I have 'Show hidden folders' option set and I see all hidden folders, using File-manager,

but I just can not open that folder, to see cookies. :roll:

I don't see anything unusual or different about that folder compaired to other hidden folders, in settings, but there is something different

on this computer?

Hi Toppack

How about Hide protected system files - have you unticked that one too?

If not - try that also!

Cheers

solbjerg

I have 'Show hidden folders' option set and I see all hidden folders, using File-manager,

but I just can not open that folder, to see cookies. :roll:

I don't see anything unusual or different about that folder compaired to other hidden folders, in settings, but there is something different

on this computer?

How about Hide protected system files - have you unticked that one too?

I have Not found another setting Just for 'Files'.

The others are for all three: Files, Folders and Drives.

Those are all set to Not be hidden.

Is there another setting somewhere for Files Only?

(other than the one in first attachment)

There certainly seems to be but I can't find it?

I tried sfc /scannow,

and it did Not find any integrity violations. :roll:

I also checked all the IE-9 'Internet Option' settings,

to see if anything there might be causing it, but No Joy.

Oh well, I suppose I really don't need to see them,

since my security programs appear to be deleteing the ones I don't need.

Just thought I would mention that Not everyone can access the cookies list with Run-line command.

Hi Toppack

The only suggestion I have now is trying to toggle the setting "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"

Cheers

solbjerg

I tried sfc /scannow,

and it did Not find any integrity violations. :roll:

I also checked all the IE-9 'Internet Option' settings,

to see if anything there might be causing it, but No Joy.

Oh well, I suppose I really don't need to see them,

since my security programs appear to be deleteing the ones I don't need.

Just thought I would mention that Not everyone can access the cookies list with Run-line command.

Hi Toppack

The only suggestion I have now is trying to toggle the setting "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey, That Did It ! :shock: :grin:

I first clicked the 'Restore Default' settings button and then Reset them.

Must have been a Registry glitch.

Very Strange!

Thanks for the help, :-D

Glad to hear it Toppack - Thanks!

Yes this type of error happens once in a while, so one can always try to see if that is the culprit. :-)

Perhaps one of the zeroes or ones gets lost in translation :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hey, That Did It ! :shock: :grin:

I first clicked the 'Restore Default' settings button and then Reset them.

Must have been a Registry glitch.

Very Strange!

Thanks for the help, :-D

Archived