IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Registry backup not created

So I ran the ASW personal scan and it "repaired" bad registry entries. I selected at the beginning before scanning to create a back-up of my system. After running it (and restarting computer multiple times) the problems began. Windows security is not able to download and install updates. Also, when I go to change or remove programs (in the control panel) the list that shows up is NOT a list of all the applications I have, and is way different than it was before the scan, even though I haven't uninstalled or changed any programs. To top it off, the change and remove buttons don't show up next to any application. This means I get an inaccurate list and there's no way to uninstall certain programs (the ones that don't include an uninstaller). Also, when I go to msconfig, there are strange new processes and things I don't recognize, and stuff has been removed.

So I went to the Restore Center, and saw that no back-up was ever made. I followed the instructions in another post and went into the program file for IObit and into the backup folder--no dice. So I figured a system restore would fix the registry issues. I restored the system to the day before I did the scan, and this fixed the change/remove problem--however, when I do click the button to remove some applications, I find that I'm not able to. Patches don't exist, etc. These programs also don't run properly anymore. I undid the system restore, and I'm back to square one.

This program hasn't helped my computer in any tangible way that I can see. It's really messed up some important system features. I'm really upset, please help me undo the changes the scan and fix made, PLEASE!! :???:

Edit

I forgot to mention that I'm running xp professional sp2 on a dell inspiron notebook, and that I've contacted dell support and they say that AWC corrupted my system by messing with important registry keys. They suggested a system restore (which i already tried) and reinstalling windows as a last resort. The tech support guy is running the problem by colleagues to see if there are any other options and he'll be getting back to me. He was not optimistic. I guess I should have known better than to "fix" all that stuff on a virus-free, malware-free, defraged system with a memory cleaner already installed. :oops: If it aint broke...but there's no use crying over spilled milk, I suppose.

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem - but worse. AWC is producing NO BACKUPS-thus No Restore

Allisonia333,

I am having the exact same problem with the released version of AWC as well -- with a difference that actually worstens the problem: NONE of the backups are being created -- and I am using the fully released "paid-for" Version of AWC.

This found a HUGE number of what it thought were problems; and thinking that the backup would suffice, I let the program fix them...Now, navigation through IE 6.** (the latest) is crippled.

I tried the same steps you took -- including a full system restore...but am still having some problems.

My enviroment is almost identical to yours: Dell laptop (Inspiron 8100 with 512Mb memory, running Windows XP with SP2 installed - along with all the newer updates. My browser is IE 6.** (the latest version).

All-in all, so far I do not like this program...The small size of the graphic interface is hard to use -- there is no context-sensitive help in this program that I could see.

Are you by change aware of a fix yet?

Thanks, /Dave Gallagher davgall@comcast.net

Hello davgall

Why are you using IE6?

solbjerg

Allisonia333,

I am having the exact same problem with the released version of AWC as well -- with a difference that actually worstens the problem: NONE of the backups are being created -- and I am using the fully released "paid-for" Version of AWC.

This found a HUGE number of what it thought were problems; and thinking that the backup would suffice, I let the program fix them...Now, navigation through IE 6.** (the latest) is crippled.

I tried the same steps you took -- including a full system restore...but am still having some problems.

My enviroment is almost identical to yours: Dell laptop (Inspiron 8100 with 512Mb memory, running Windows XP with SP2 installed - along with all the newer updates. My browser is IE 6.** (the latest version).

All-in all, so far I do not like this program...The small size of the graphic interface is hard to use -- there is no context-sensitive help in this program that I could see.

Hi Dave

Have you tried to let Windows choose the settings in your computer?

Right click "My Computer" choose properties, then the tab advanced and then the button settings under performance, and then put a mark in "let Windows choose the best settings for my computer".

Let see if that fixes some settings for you.

You must have let the repair run without configuring the details. Which usually is a bad idea.

When you say there was a HUGE amount of errors - where was that? In spyware defence?

Cheers

solbjerg

Allisonia333,

Dat File Error Fixed

Hi Dave

Have you tried to let Windows choose the settings in your computer?

Right click "My Computer" choose properties, then the tab advanced and then the button settings under performance, and then put a mark in "let Windows choose the best settings for my computer".

Let see if that fixes some settings for you.

You must have let the repair run without configuring the details. Which usually is a bad idea.

When you say there was a HUGE amount of errors - where was that? In spyware defence?

Cheers

solbjerg

OK DAVE, I HAD SOME HELP WITH THIS..MY FRIEND TRIED TO FIX THE PROBLEM IN PROGRAMS, ETC. AND FINALLY WHAT HE DID WAS GO INTO THE C: DRIVE. HE DELETED AWC THERE AND THEN WAS ABLE TO RE-INSTALL THE PROGRAM WITHOUT A PROBLEM. IN DOING THIS, IT ALSO ELIMINATED THE START UP PROBLEM. HE SAID THAT IT'S NOT THE BEST WAY TO DELETE THE FOLDER THOUGH, BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BE SURE THAT NO OTHER PIECES OF DATA ARE INCLUDED IN A FOLDER THAT YOU MAY NEED AND YOU MAY BE UNAWARE OF THIS. BY THE WAY..I HAVE IE 7. LET'S LET THIS POST SIT FOR AWHILE AND SEE IF

OTHERS WILL GIVE FEEDBACK ON WHAT WE DID TO FINALLY END THIS PROBLEM.

Dell incompetence at giving real, in-touch service to anyone.

To Alisonia333, davgall53 and, TOOLBAR2345:

You all need to seriously upgrade your RAM cards, a.s.a.p. upto two cards of 1gb each=2gb in total. Then, use the Accessories functions of Clean Disk to remove the clutter onto your HDs and, Defrag Disk for rearranging all directories and files into an optimized position for better future load-ups.:roll:

Go and buy the Upgrade version of Windows Vista-Business Edition(while buying the two RAM sodimm cards). Install that 2006 edition over that 2001 edition of XP-Pro. All of your hardware components' drivers will be automatically updated/upgraded to rather June or November 2006.8)

Do a Windows Update while being in Cable(Wireless) Broadband connectivity and, install all further updates/upgrades + rebooting the system as many times as required to fully/properly install all of these apps./programs.

Furthermore, test out all of your currently installed apps/programs as to find out their full compatibility to Vista's environment. You might even have to upgrade them, if the option is open for these. Uninstall all the ones that do not work properly at all. Go online and, download the free AWC3 Beta 2.8.5. Make sure all settings are set to your preferences and, activate all automatic features at the lower right corner of its own window, by simply clicking onto each of them and, now, showing in green, on. Click onto the big round button called 'CARE'. Now, watch at how fast it will clean out all the spyware and clean out your empty keys of your registry + defrag your HD in a blinding fast pace.

Note: From here, you can always update/upgrade your hardware drivers upto this year's level of quality assurance of proper functionality of all of them, by: Clicking onto the Vista logoed Start Menu, Computer, System properties, Device Driver Manager and, click onto every one of them, one at the time, to bring the hardware configuration window. Click onto the Tab 'Driver' and then 'Update Driver'. Choose 'Let Windows go online for finding the best driver available for your hardware component'(you have to be connected to the internet in order for this function to work). Repeat all of these steps for each of every one of these different hardware components, all the way to the bottom of the list.

Enjoy your fully renewed Laptop or Notebook system!

:wink:

Hi Luc,

It may not be a very good idea to advice to upgrade to Vista for all older Laptop and/or Notebook users unless they have the original Windows setup CD for that specific Windows OS.

Most of the Laptops from known manufacturers (specially the old ones we are talking about) have special software and uncompatible drivers, which could be lost during the upgrade. (specifically PCMCI.)

FYI, I do use one of my Vista Ultimate on a Vista ready Notebook by a very well known manufacturer, so I know that issue :evil: by heart.

On the other hand, there are quite a number of people downgrading their original Vistas to XP if they find the original Setup CD for XP.

BTW, I don't want to discuss which one to use, being a user of both OSs, as I am at the same distance to both of them. :roll:

Since this is not the section for these arguments, I will move the future posts about this subject to its proper destination.

Cheers.

Registry backup not created

So I ran the ASW personal scan and it "repaired" bad registry entries. I selected at the beginning before scanning to create a back-up of my system.......... So I went to the Restore Center, and saw that no back-up was ever made. I followed the instructions in another post and went into the program file for IObit and into the backup folder--no dice.

I am running a Gateway Desk Top computer. Windows XP, SP2 all updates. After removing the problems the software found. I have not found any operating problems at this time. But I would like to find out how come the registry backup was not created? Also in the restore center I have only two ways of protection (in XP) and not three like in the help file.

Thanks for your help,

I am running a Gateway Desk Top computer. Windows XP, SP2 all updates. After removing the problems the software found. I have not found any operating problems at this time. But I would like to find out how come the registry backup was not created? Also in the restore center I have only two ways of protection (in XP) and not three like in the help file.

Thanks for your help,

I just remembered, since I just upgraded to Advanced SystemCare Beta 3.0.1 about 15 or 30 minutes ago that, it will ask you for a precaution of installation failure only, to make a registry backup before proceeding to the full installation of this completely Free Ware program.

It will, no longer ask for a permanent registry backup to be made as a restore measure later on. I will only make a temporary registry backup as a precaution to a failure to fix the registry. Then, automatically deletes it in a blink of an eye. My eyesight is quite fast so, I got to see it once to about a dozen of times easy.

Hope that explains the whole ordeal about that registry backup thingie.

:wink:

Archived