IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag deletes restore points

jlhawk

New computer Toshiba L755 Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. Norton Internet Security installed, iObit smart defrag v2, iObit Advanced System Care v4 Pro. 6G ram, 640G Hd, i5 processor quad core. I have Smart Defrag set with a scheduled defrag Sundays at 2:00am. everytime it runs it deletes al restore points. I have seen posts online where this is a problem and has been since 2008 or before. Also seems it is not just Smart defrag. Can someone point me to info on why this happens and how to fix? I have run this since 2007 first on my last Vista machine, and now this one, and have recommended the product to more than a few people. I did not see the problem on the Vista box, yet I have read where people have had this same problem with Vista. Any help appreciated.

Hi jlhawk

If this is true it is a serious flaw.

And you should contact IObit Support directly!!

But in my opinion it should not be possible. Restore points ought to be in either MFT or in the immovavble blocks where they won't be tampered with during a defrag. And defragging isn't the same as clean up - nothing gets deleted only moved to establish coherence between the fragments.

I use XP sp3 and have chosen only to use 3% of the disk space for Windows restore points, this means that I have 10 restore points om my machine - which ought to be ample. None of these gets deleted by defragging by me. If it does in Windows 7 there could be a programming glitch there.

I lean more towards that it could be ASC v.4 pro that accomplish that if your settings are more extensive than the default settings. Or it could be something else altogether?

Cheers

solbjerg

New computer Toshiba L755 Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. Norton Internet Security installed, iObit smart defrag v2, iObit Advanced System Care v4 Pro. 6G ram, 640G Hd, i5 processor quad core. I have Smart Defrag set with a scheduled defrag Sundays at 2:00am. everytime it runs it deletes al restore points. I have seen posts online where this is a problem and has been since 2008 or before. Also seems it is not just Smart defrag. Can someone point me to info on why this happens and how to fix? I have run this since 2007 first on my last Vista machine, and now this one, and have recommended the product to more than a few people. I did not see the problem on the Vista box, yet I have read where people have had this same problem with Vista. Any help appreciated.

Hey Soljerg; I have seen it happen to me, and I have found information doing searches indicating it has been happening as far back as 2008 with Vista and Windows seven systems. I had no issues in the 4 years I have used it with Vista. New Windows 7 machine has issues with it. I had it set to Full optimize if that makes a difference... I'll do some research and post back here what I find, but I discovered quite a few instances of deleted restore points... most likely a windows issue, but I think you guys need to know too...

Here is the error I get in the system log... The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit. This happens while the defrag is running. Space is set to 10GB, 2.8 is being used. Any ideas how to fix? From reading this happens with several different defrag programs ISD being one of them.

Hi jlhawk

Thank you very much for following up on the subject!!

I will try to learn something about it too :-)

Do you have it activated in your services?

services.msc written in Run

Volume Shadow Copy Service or whatever it is called by you.

C:\WINDOWS\System32\vssvc.exe, - I think

I saw something like it at a friend that used Windows 7 - everytime she opened the computer she would get a message that there weren't enough room, - as far as I remember I got rid of that message by reconfiguring some settings, but I have forgotten where.

Cheers

solbjerg

Here is the error I get in the system log... The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit. This happens while the defrag is running. Space is set to 10GB, 2.8 is being used. Any ideas how to fix? From reading this happens with several different defrag programs ISD being one of them.

It is running, but I should have plenty of room with 10G allocated. Something is happening when defrag is running, although I am not sure what yet. As I mentioned this seems like a windows issue, since other 3rd party defrag software exhibits similar behavior... I'll keep looking...

Hi jlhawk

Just to be sure if SD have anything to do with it I wondered if you have "Skip files larger than" ticked in the settings - if so try unticking it- or if you don't have it ticked try the recommended setting..

Cheers

solbjerg

It is running, but I should have plenty of room with 10G allocated. Something is happening when defrag is running, although I am not sure what yet. As I mentioned this seems like a windows issue, since other 3rd party defrag software exhibits similar behavior... I'll keep looking...

Just for fun, last night I downloaded and installed Auslogics defrag, set it to run in VSS mode and let it do an unattended defrag over night. It ran fine. The skip files larger than box is unchecked. I an going to set the size of restore point allocation to 10G and try ISD again and see what happens, but it may come down to running both, one for a weekly defrag od main drive, and the other for boot time and defrag of my mysic library... we shall see.

Hi jlhawk

Good of you to check possibilities!!

We'll see if it will attract the attention of IObit at some point :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Just for fun, last night I downloaded and installed Auslogics defrag, set it to run in VSS mode and let it do an unattended defrag over night. It ran fine. The skip files larger than box is unchecked. I an going to set the size of restore point allocation to 10G and try ISD again and see what happens, but it may come down to running both, one for a weekly defrag od main drive, and the other for boot time and defrag of my mysic library... we shall see.

As of now the default settings are the recommended setting. I am wondering if I check the skip files over 1G box, will that skip the restore points? might be worth a try too... It would be nice to at least figure this out and save someone else all the hassles... I do not think it has ever been resolved and I have found information dating back 3 years on the topic...

Hi jlhawk

I do not use Win 7 as said earlier and I have never experienced that the restore points dissappered.

But by me I told you that I had 10 restore points and the space used for restore point is about 1.5 GB - which in turn would suggest that 150 MB is used for each restore point.

The amount may be different by you.

Cheers

solbjerg

As of now the default settings are the recommended setting. I am wondering if I check the skip files over 1G box, will that skip the restore points? might be worth a try too... It would be nice to at least figure this out and save someone else all the hassles... I do not think it has ever been resolved and I have found information dating back 3 years on the topic...

Set Configured Restore point storage to 4% of Drive space... about 20G of space. Turned on the option to skip files ove 1G. Ran defrag over night and it worked, so there is the answer. I think SD needs some mods to allow for VSS (Listen to me iObit) but these settings will work. By setting the skip files over 1G switch restore points are skipped and not deleted. There should be a better solution however.

Update... this version of ISD does however break Nero showtime... so I guess I am uninstalling... I am tired of messing around trying to get things to work and play nice on a Brand New system... I have done nothing but research and fix bugs since I brought the thing home.. Apple looks better and better to me all the time... :-(

I'll accept you are joking with me, but fixing numerous compatibilty issues ceased being fun awhile ago... I have 30 years in the biz and this kind of work has grown old. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy an occasional challenge, but not constant. this all turns out to be issues relating to windows 7. Seems anymore one must not only buy new hardware, but drop another 700.00 + in software to run on the new system... Guess backwards compatibility is a thing of the past... anyway thanks for listening... I will run SD for awhile as I like the product, but I am unimpressed with everyone involved at naming a resolution, and providing a fix... Seriously Apple is looking better and better. :???:

Archived