IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Idea for clone tools.

matt8050

Hi,

I love your guys programs however I think some work could be done on the clone tool.

Here is just a small idea I have for you.

I would love a way to be able to del more then 1 clone item at a time as that takes Sooooooooooo Long if you have 3,000 files like my (other pc had)

I hope you would really think about this in your next update.

Thanks,

Matt F. aka Matt8050

Hi matt

Deleting duplicates/clones still depends on what you want.

For example a lot of the clones are miniature pictures/thumbnails that can be useful for going through your pictures, but they are not absolutely necessary, so you could choose to delete those - at the same time you should then in the folder options choose not to have thumbnails generated if you never want to see another thumbnail again.

There is also often very many 0 byte files - some of these may be good to have but it is not a catastrophy not to have them. Again you have to choose the solution that you think is best for you.

In short a clone file finder is just that - It finds cloned files - what you do with them is your preference.

In most instance not much space will be reclaimed.

If you have many large pictures or videoes in several locations you can save a substantial amount of space by deleting the clones in the locations you do not need.

But there are some few instances where it is quite dangerous to delete a clone - again depending on your setup and your preferences.

It could be an important file that has to be in both locations for the computer to work as it should.

This is the primary reason for checking each and every file you think you might want to delete.

But there are also files that you really personally want in both locations for the sake of your convenience.

Remember that you do not have to find all deleteable clones in one go, you can take a look at them fx. once a month for example and delete a couple of those (maybe 10-20) you are absolutely sure you do not need.

In which case it will take a year or 1½ year to get it done.

Time is not of the essence as you won't reclaim much space.

Excessive meticulousness plays a role here I think. :-)

But it is a good application for finding files you perhaps do no longer need - at least in all the locations they are present.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi,

I love your guys programs however I think some work could be done on the clone tool.

Here is just a small idea I have for you.

I would love a way to be able to del more then 1 clone item at a time as that takes Sooooooooooo Long if you have 3,000 files like my (other pc had)

I hope you would really think about this in your next update.

Thanks,

Matt F. aka Matt8050

Hi matt8050!

Not only is it mostly a huge waste of time, there is a risk. I will emphasize a line from Solbjergs post... "And there are some few instances where it is quite dangerous to delete a clone - again depending on your setup and your preferences."

You could be happily deleting away and then wonder "What happened?"

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!!

Hi matt

Just a few more examples:

I have in the computer a dictionary creating program from www.freelang.net

I have changed the skin for three of them and in one of them the interface is in Danish. This means that I have 4 addresses that essentially holds the same files. The fourth is the install file for the program.

The clone finder finds all 4 of them but suggests that I get rid of 3 of them. That would leave me with only the install file and I would lose all the words I have added myself - more than 115.000 words.

So in this case I am extremely glad that I checked the clones before getting rid of any of them. Of course I kept all of them!!

Also I have Bookshelf basic on my computer. That program came as an extra free application in the English version of Office 97.

It was intended to run from the CD but I installed it.

The easiest way to do that was to install it in C:\ while the computer then all by itself recorded the right path to it in the registry. If installing it in C:\programs I would have to go into the registry and change the command line of the starting location. I have done both and therefore have that 250 MB in two places, but I am reluctant to delete one of them because I am afraid something may happen to the function of the program if I do, and that would mean having to install it again. So I leave that in both places too even though this particular clone cleaning could save me 250 MB space.

There are also 4-5 files related to NVidia - if one chooses the wrong ones here one could end up with a black screen, so I leave them alone even though they are quite large.

I also have an image file of my C:\ drive stored in my D:\ drive

If I got rid of that I would have done the creation of the image file for nothing, I have the same image file on a USB-stick, so I could delete the one in the D:\ drive - but I will keep it as extra security and for my convenience.

These examples are just to show that it is imperative to check every cloned file you may want to get rid of.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. when writing a program that finds clones the programmers have to use strings that are general - and especially if they want to get rid of some of the clones they cannot set up strings that are specific for your computer and your preferences. These strings has to be so general that there is no way around checking the clones yourself to make everything come out as YOU wish.

Hi matt

Deleting duplicates/clones still depends on what you want.

For example a lot of the clones are miniature pictures/thumbnails that can be useful for going through your pictures, but they are not absolutely necessary, so you could choose to delete those - at the same time you should then in the folder options choose not to have thumbnails generated if you never want to see another thumbnail again.

There is also often very many 0 byte files - some of these may be good to have but it is not a catastrophy not to have them. Again you have to choose the solution that you think is best for you.

In short a clone file finder is just that - It finds cloned files - what you do with them is your preference.

In most instance not much space will be reclaimed.

If you have many large pictures or videoes in several locations you can save a substantial amount of space by deleting the clones in the locations you do not need.

But there are some few instances where it is quite dangerous to delete a clone - again depending on your setup and your preferences.

It could be an important file that has to be in both locations for the computer to work as it should.

This is the primary reason for checking each and every file you think you might want to delete.

But there are also files that you really personally want in both locations for the sake of your convenience.

Remember that you do not have to find all deleteable clones in one go, you can take a look at them fx. once a month for example and delete a couple of those (maybe 10-20) you are absolutely sure you do not need.

In which case it will take a year or 1½ year to get it done.

Time is not of the essence as you won't reclaim much space.

Excessive meticulousness plays a role here I think. :-)

But it is a good application for finding files you perhaps do no longer need - at least in all the locations they are present.

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived