IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Blue screen problem - please help

jpscience

Hi,

This is my first time posting on this forum. Please advise if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I'm getting regular (every week or so for over a year) blue screens. I have the error messages (photos of blue screens) if that helps. Usually 0x0000001A but today was 0x00000050. System is up-to-date with drivers etc. Details of my system are correct in my profile. Please find attached to this message the .txt file exported from IObit ASC5 Pro Sysexplorer. I have been in touch with manufacturer and run all sorts of tests (including memtest86) but found nothing. They claim it is software problem and will charge if it turns out to be that. I use Office 2010, CS5, Google Chrome...

Thanks for reading this and would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Regards,

jpscience

ASCDiagnoseReport.txt

Hi jpscience, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

Please download and use BluScreenView to find out what is the reason of the problem.

After using it you can give us a screenshot, so someone may help to analyze it.

Guide for Taking Screenshots: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/gen...screenshot.htm

Make sure that everything is seen in the screenshot including the lower pane.

Cheers.

Screen shot from BluScreenView - Thanks enoskype

Hi enoskype,

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I've downloaded BluScreenView and ran it (that is already helpful to know about). I attach the screen shots (it took 7 I'm afraid to get everything).

Best wishes,

jpscience

Hi again jpscience,

Please make the images larger as .jpg images (more pixels X more pixels)(possibly well over 100KB), it is impossible to read them.

Also arrange it so that the whole line can be read on the upper pane.(no horizontal scroll)

BTW, the first lines of the first 4 images in the lower pane seems to show the culprit.

Cheers.

Well, it seems to be ntoskrnl.exe.

File beeing the core Windows 7 (x64) component, it is beyond my expertise.

Since you are a ASC 5 PRO user, perhaps someone from IObit can help you.

Contact Cicely by PM (Private Message) or by e-mail at support@iobit.com and send them the mini dump file asking for help.

In the mean time, some other member may post a comment.

Cheers.

Blue screen problem

Hi enoskype,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I've been at a rehearsal. Thanks very much for your support with this. I really appreciate it. I'll try your suggestion in the video tomorrow and confirm the result.

Best wishes,

jpscience

Blue screen problem - progress, but not solved yet

Hi,

I tried the video you suggested, but I'm on win7 so I couldn't get to the recovery where I could try expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ . Do you know how I could do this with win7?

I did run sfc /scannow and that didn't find any problems.

If you had any ideas about other things I could try I'd be really grateful. Already knowing that the problem appears to be with ntoskrnl is helpful.

Best wishes,

jpscience

Tried SFC /scannow, chkdsk /R and chkdsk /F

Hi,

Thanks so much for your support with this. I've run SFC /scannow, chkdsk /R and chkdsk /F (in that order as I'd never heard of chkdsk /F I'm afraid!) which all passed.

Is there some way to see if that has solved the problem (other than waiting for the next blue screen!)?

Should I try expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ and if so, could you show me how I could do that?

I'm really sorry that this has been a complicated one. I'd really like to get my system to be more reliable. These intermittent blue screens have been going on for ages and it has been getting really frustrating.

Best wishes,

jpscience

EDIT: chkdsk /R implies chkdsk /F , so if chdsk /R is run, there is no need for chkdsk /F to be run afterwards.

Thanks Toppack

Hi Toppack,

Thanks for your post. That list of things I could do looks really helpful (and a bit daunting!).

If the ntoslrnl.exe file was causing the problem, do you know a way of finding if it is still corrupt? It is difficult to know if what I've done already has solved the problem.

Best wishes,

jpscience

Hi,

If I've done a memtest86 (running all night) wouldn't that have shown up bad or mismatched RAM? The computer is not that old (just over a year) so I'd be surprised if it needs cleaning.

The difficulty with the manufacturers (Eclipse) was that, even though it was within the guarantee, they said that if it turned out to be a software problem they would charge me £50 :roll:. After a fresh install it did seem to be better. But the blue screens have come back. Still only once a week or less, but really annoying!

Thanks,

jpscience

Hi jpscience!

piriform's speccy will show you the internal self reported temps of your system and is safe.. you can get it here.. ->http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Download and either post the screenshot or inform of the temperatures.

From your machine profile... "RAM 12.0 GB" Make sure your machine is well ventilated and unobstructed... your vents and fan are free and clear of obstructions or dust/lint/debris...

Lets rule the heating thing out or in!

-Mel

Piriform Speccy Screen Shot

Hi,

I'd like to say a huge thank you to all of you who have been so kind in helping me with this problem. I really appreciate you giving your time and expertise like this.

I attach a screen shot of Piriform Speccy. If it would help to have any of the detailed views posted please just say.

Best wishes,

jpscience

Thanks Mel

Hi,

Thanks Mel for that. It is useful to rule overheating out. The machine had been on all day when I took that screenshot. It looks like I'll need to wait for the next blue screen. If it is OK with you I'll come back to the forum then.

If I don't get any more of the blue screens I will post to let you all know! Once again, thanks to all of you who have supported me. Much appreciated.

Best wishes,

jpscience

Oh dear! Another BSOD

Hi everyone,

I've just had a new BSOD. Just like before, it just came from nowhere. Please see the screenshot from BlueScreenView below. It looks to me like the problem is some driver from Microsoft called ntoskrnl.exe (but I don't know much about these things). I don't know what to do to sort that out.

The details of my system are correct. It is a win7 64bit machine. We've already ruled out an overheating problem (using Piriform Speccy), but I could post a screen shot of that if it would help.

Any help with this would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

jpscience

Well, it seems to be ntoskrnl.exe.

File beeing the core Windows 7 (x64) component, it is beyond my expertise.

Since you are a ASC 5 PRO user, perhaps someone from IObit can help you.

Contact Cicely by PM (Private Message) or by e-mail at support@iobit.com and send them the mini dump file asking for help.

Cheers.

Hi again jpscience, above comment is stil valid.

It looks to me like the problem is some driver from Microsoft called ntoskrnl.exe.

jpscience

Note that it is a fundamental part of the system not only a driver.

Have a look at : http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/43572-windows-7-blue-screen-ntoskrnl-exe.html and see if there are similarities. (I think there is.)

There is also Driver Verifier - Windows 7 & Vista (BSOD-related) tool but should be used by experienced PC users. You can check it HERE

Swaping the RAMs and starting with minimum and then adding, you may find out if there is a faulty RAM or connection.

Sometimes Memtest will not reveal if there is a problem with RAMs.

Cheers.

Archived