IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Yearly License Timer ?

Toppack

Some IObit programs have a Yearly License,

I assume that means that that the license expires after 365 days?

If so, what does IObit use as a Timer for that year?

Is it the CMOS-clock on the computer's motherboard,

or something else?

Many people do not keep their computer clock/calender set accurately all the time,

or the clock can be interrupted by hardware problems or changes,

so if that is what is used, that is Not a good way of doing it

but I can Not think of a Better way?

Hi Toppack

If you take a look at your license information it will tell you how many days you have left of your license.

There is a button you can press in that window that will update the information - I have previously seen it hang at one time.

If you use the calender to count between today 4.dec. 2011 and 3.dec.2012 it will tell you 365 days. (next year is a leap year - here with both first and last day included)

But it must be the server at IObit that keeps an eye on the time - usually it will tell you ahead of time that your license is about to expire.

Cheers

solbjerg

Some IObit programs have a Yearly License,

I assume that means that that the license expires after 365 days?

If so, what does IObit use as a Timer for that year?

Is it the CMOS-clock on the computer's motherboard,

or something else?

Many people do not keep their computer clock/calender set accurately all the time,

or the clock can be interrupted by hardware problems or changes,

so if that is what is used, that is Not a good way of doing it

but I can Not think of a Better way?

But it must be the server at IObit that keeps an eye on the time

If it IS the Server's clock, ASC uses, it seems that doing it that way there would be even more posibilities for errors?

That way it would be possible for All the users timers to be corrupted, not just a few?

Hi Toppack

Why is that?

IObit has a record of your payment for a specific date and then only has to add 1. year to that date to know the expiration date.

There are differences in dates around the world Jewish, Muslim, Buddha and western calenders. Even within the western world some say monday is the first day of the week and some say sunday, there are also differences as to when the first week of the year begins and consquently how many weeks there can be in a year, - all this can be chosen in the computer according to the region the computer is used in.

Globally though I think that all recognize Greenwich Mean Time.

But I fail to see how it is more uncertain that one server keeps track of all the subscriptions, than if many did.

I am fairly sure that the time in servers and computers alike are in accordance with globally recognized time servers.

Cheers

solbjerg

If it IS the Server's clock, ASC uses, it seems that doing it that way there would be even more posibilities for errors?

True, but servers use the same little batteries and similar software as all other computers.

The battery power, CMOS-chip and the clock setting software all can have problems.

I'm not saying that is what is causing all the reports of premature time-out problems but that is one posiblity?

Hi Toppack

The batteries are of course monitored, the monitors monitored, and those monitors monitored. And even if all this should fail, feedback from millions of users would quickly focus the interest on this point. ;-)

I haven't yet seen any proof that reports of mistakes in the timing of subscriptions are completely true.

Most of what we see here is that some have trouble activating their accounts.

Often this is in connection with an UPGRADE!!

Sometimes this leads to all sorts of accusations unfortunately.

And what kind of errors are we talking about - seconds - minutes - hours - days - weeks - months or years?

If it is the three last ones I would begin to wonder too. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s.

UPGRADE is when the program is evolving into a new and usually better version of the program, that you have to pay for.

UPDATE is when primarily the definition database for malware is updated - that is to say when more definitions are added to make our machines safer from malware - sometimes also to a newer version of the program - in connection with such an update it is understandable that the company also offers a paid upgrade. (But you are free to continue with the free version)

I have never heard that an update of the definition database has messed with your subscription. :-)

True, but servers use the same little batteries and similar software as all other computers.

Both the battery power and the clock software can have problems.

I'm not saying that is what is causing all the reports of premature time-out problems but that is one posiblity?

That way it would be possible for All the users timers to be corrupted, not just a few?

The assumption being that one server or a series of servers relying on the same powersource/grid all go out simultaneously for an extended period of time.

I suspect that users licenses close to the end would revert to the free version and the software would continue to run that way until servers were brought back up and the whole system refreshed.

During that time no updates would be available... you would have to run on what you already had.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived