IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Auto Defrag - When Does it Kick-in

I have downloaded and installed the latest Beta Version of IObit SmartDefrag and frankly, I am completely bowled over. My computer now boots up quickly and shuts off quite quickly too. Applications open and files are accessed at a much faster speed than before.

I have opted to use the Auto Defrag function which I believe quietly defrags the hard disk, when the computer has been idle for a while.

Can somebody tell me:

How long does the computer have to be idle before the Auto Defrag kicks-in?

Do I have control over this period of idle time? and

How do I know that the Auto Defrag is running?

I have also installed and used the Personal version of Advanced Windows Care V2 and again quite impressed by it.

I am still an unregistered user.

Previously, I had tried a host of software that promised to make my computer run faster, but at last IObit has done the trick.

Best Regards.

Auto Defrag

This is a great piece of software with a few bugs.

The Smart Defrag option does not work if you have multiple harddisks/partitions(only does C drive!)

The Smart placement option does not work.

Where this comes into its own is manual defrags-very fast defrags and optimisations (second to none).

I use the scheduler and have it come on after computer is idle for 30 minutes and it automatically comes on and defrags (and optimises) my 8 partitions simultaneously. I also disable Startup with Windows and disable balloon tips and stop scheduled task if computer ceases to be idle.

Works a treat_ just set and forget. Simply brilliant!

Thank a lot.

Bye.

Hi Bazzaboy,

Please have a look at this thread for Defrag & Optimize in this section.

Just Defrag, in summary, is defragment all fragmented files at their existing locations except system files.

Please have a look at Think_about_Defragmentation!!! thread for a detailed explanation of defragmentations.

Your question about which to use, is not an easy one.

Regularly use "Defrag", and say once in 2 weeks "Defrag & Optimize".

It will depend on the frequency you use the PC.

Of course, there are exceptional cases such as just after installing SP3 to XP or a lot of file replacement/displacement such as downloading, installing and deleting a lot of files, in that case, Defrag & Optimize would be better just after or more frequently than once in 2 weeks.

I hope this helps.

Thank you enoskype,

I just have elementary knowledge of Windows, so your posts were rather too advanced for me. Anyway, I get the jist of the matter and will be following your instructions above.

FYI, I use my computer almost all day long. I have had bad experiences with SP3, so SP2 is as far as I have gone this time.

Hello BazzaBoy, defragging TOO much may not be all that good. if your computer is slow already, uncheck the auto defrag option and click apply. theres something called "wear and tear". even if you keep your computer error free with all the programs you can, things will eventually start happening.

• 3 weeks later...

More Problems with Autorun defrag

I've not been able to get auto defrag to work since I installed Beta 6.0 and now 6.1. As long as I was using Beta 5.x the auto defrag worked just fine. That is no longer the case. The only way I can get defrag to run is to do the job manually. As far as I can tell, my settings should allow auto to run, but it doesn't.

Is anybody else having this same problem :?:

OS is Win-XP Home/SP2, 2gb RAM, AMD Athlon 2400+ Processor

Hi okieinmd

Could it be a problem with your firewall?

Did you unblock the downloded installation file before installing it?

Cheers

solbjerg

I've not been able to get auto defrag to work since I installed Beta 6.0 and now 6.1. As long as I was using Beta 5.x the auto defrag worked just fine. That is no longer the case. The only way I can get defrag to run is to do the job manually. As far as I can tell, my settings should allow auto to run, but it doesn't.

I see a very old machine trying to do its best in a much more advanced world of IT.

For a mere 50+ dollars, you should upgrade to Athlon FX processor. Just bring your machine to an independent computer technician and, ask to have your machine cleaned up(expecially the HD), Drivers updated and, have a newer Bios for your Machine's Mainboard. Once all that is done, the acting-up-weird like happenings will stop.8-)

Upgrading to Windows Vista Premium is an awesome way to have 100% of your entire machine's hardware to have 100% upgraded drivers instantly. Those drivers will be at November 2006 of most signed by Microsoft's quality recognition.;-)

Please, ask the same independent computer technician as to what to do for getting the Device Drivers window as to how to get your 2007/2008 drivers online(requires internet connection in order to do so).

If, his cost and fees are too high, buy yourself a low end machine(available basically anywhere there is an Electronics Store closest to your community's area). This will, normally, bring you to a Win. Vista quality system anyway.

Note: There will be a lot of Windows Updates and upgrades to do as soon as you will power up the newer machine and, a lot of restarts of it as well. Patience will be required in order to get to today's level of O.S. and apps.' proper level of functionality.

:idea:

Archived