IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Registry Cleaner Suggestion

WriterJC

In reading "Clean up registry in depth to improve PC performance" the logical presumption was that IObit would search for and list registry keys that no longer had any function, those that posed a threat (high or low) if kept and were safe to delete.

I was amazed in finding this Forum last night to learn the above is NOT the case. That, in fact, "High Risk" means 'think twice before deleting' with the risk of having to restore whatever was deleted, IF possible. :!:

Scariest of all is that mixed in the "High Risk" can be components required to operate the OS.

I. IF the objective is to "clean up the registry in depth to IMPROVE PC performance", what is the point in IObit capturing OS components in the first place ... when deleting them (even accidentally) risks causing problems?

II. One of the reasons the majority of Users want a Registry Cleaner is (A) due to NOT being certified computer geeks, esp when it comes to OS operations and their components, and (B) wanting a program that will find the junk in reg.edit that needs to be gone safely © to avoid an eventual crash from junk overload.

III. There are registry cleaners capable of finding the above, but I've yet to see one where "High Risk" didn't mean "This could seriously endanger your PC," and "Low Risk" meant deleting something was optional with no great risk either way.

There should be DEAD or OBSOLETE and/or UNNECESSARY registry keys listed to be removed -- AND a warning of the risk of KEEPING them in reg.edit, period.

Surely there can be an "Advanced" section for geeks who are interested in the operational components being listed for whatever their reasons. But to MIX them with a general Registry Cleaner is less than user-friendly. The latter bodes exponential disaster for average users/non-geeks and, subsequently, IObit's mounting and superb, well-earned reputation... which I'd hate to see. :cry:

IV. It's not unusal over a period of time for there to be 40 to 500 or more keys that need to be gone (depending on how often the computer is used, new software is set-up or deleted, etc, and how often a User cleans up the H-D). With IObit's Registry Cleaner I've had 2 to 280+ results in one day. Who has time to go through a list that large to make selections, particularly for someone who doesn't have a degree in Computer Science to determine what can safely (and should be) deleted?

Offering Settings in the current version that include operational references with which MOST Users are unfamiliar (and don't really need to know in terms of operation unless they're being paid to repair computers), doesn't help.

---------------

Consideration for adjusting and simplifying the Registry Cleaner would be greatfully appreciated.

As it is, I'm either going back to the 3.70 version ... or not using the Registry Cleaner in 4.2.0 PRO and risking headaches with loss of keys that make this machine operate, which is not a preference. :sad:

WriterJC

An IObit Advocator

Don't worry!

I usually delete all registry keys, including those labeled "High risk", for several years now almost daily (using Advanced SystemCare 3, 4 and 5 PRO versions as well as the tool box) and I never had any problem doing that... :neutral: My computer is in perfect health and I'm very satisfied! You don't need to worry about that, but I admit it would be preferable for IOBit to avoid the terms "High risk" to describe these registry keys since this is not true... :-o

Have a nice day! ;-)

Hi all!:-)

LudorFlorez is one of the lucky ones.

He has yet to have adverse effects.

I am in agreement for the most part with the original post. When I remotely ask users to use a registy repair tool (rarely) <<as registry optimization is a myth...>> I steer them to Ver. 3 Asc. and provide the link... that appears to be the last safe "click and go" ASC for registry cleaning. MOST often I steer them to a tool that will only delete empty keys... etc. as the original poster indicated he prefers!

There doesn't seem to be interest by Iobit programmers in Version 5 to clarify the power, label it correctly, and delineate it to deliver the smallest power by default... back to the ver.3 level... then offer the more advanced the option to go further (which should be the default)

Many loyal ASC users are left wondering... "What Happenened?"

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I usually delete all registry keys, including those labeled "High risk", for several years now almost daily (using Advanced SystemCare 3, 4 and 5 PRO versions as well as the tool box) and I never had any problem doing that... :neutral: My computer is in perfect health and I'm very satisfied! You don't need to worry about that, but I admit it would be preferable for IOBit to avoid the terms "High risk" to describe these registry keys since this is not true... :-o

Ludor, you are indeed fortunate ... or unaware of changes? Deleting the results has caused my computer to malfunction several times; however, I found an area that was remotely restoring those deletions -- which is not an acceptable alternative for a Registry Cleaner.

I steer them to Ver. 3 Asc. and provide the link... that appears to be the last safe "click and go" ASC for registry cleaning. MOST often I steer them to a tool that will only delete empty keys.

Mel, would you please provide me with the link, and the tool, to which you referred above?

If the tool is CCleaner, I was dumbfounded last night to discover that all the Applications I had checked had been UNchecked, particularly Java. For the past week I wondered why Java was not listed in the Analyze > Remove window (used frequently). Very odd.

Thanks!

WriterJC (a 'her' :wink: )

Hi Writer JC!

Asc version three free may still be found here-> http://www.iobit.com/mjhome/majorgeeks.html

It was indeed the CCleaner I spoke about... a clean install should rid you of the resets to default. You are cool... any chance that you are in NC?

Please see this thread and give your input if you so desire!! -> http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=12110

-Mel :smile:

setting changes

Hi All,

I must admit that the format of the output is not very user friendly,

When i first ran it i did actually remove all low and medum range items.

for the high risk items i totally ignored anything todo with system32,

but every thing else i checked individually, which was very time consuming, not something the regular user would do.

it might be worthwhile for them to section the output, within folders

IE system32, adobe , iobit etc.

Roy

Mel -

Thank you for the link to the ASC 5.0 Survey. Voted and commented.

I presume the link to Major Geeks meant D/Ling it and uninstalling ASC 4.2.0 PRO. If so, 'think I'll pass on that one since the Shredder was removed from the Free version. But thank you, again, for the link. ;-)

I re-checked the missing Applications in CCleaner and hope this time they remain checked.

Thanks for the compliment. Instead of mountains or the beaches of NC, I can watch the launchings from Cape Canaveral from my front door.

WriterJC

• 3 weeks later...
In reading "Clean up registry in depth to improve PC performance" the logical presumption was that IObit would search for and list registry keys that no longer had any function, those that posed a threat (high or low) if kept and were safe to delete.

I was amazed in finding this Forum last night to learn the above is NOT the case. That, in fact, "High Risk" means 'think twice before deleting' with the risk of having to restore whatever was deleted, IF possible. :!:

Scariest of all is that mixed in the "High Risk" can be components required to operate the OS.

I. IF the objective is to "clean up the registry in depth to IMPROVE PC performance", what is the point in IObit capturing OS components in the first place ... when deleting them (even accidentally) risks causing problems?

II. One of the reasons the majority of Users want a Registry Cleaner is (A) due to NOT being certified computer geeks, esp when it comes to OS operations and their components, and (B) wanting a program that will find the junk in reg.edit that needs to be gone safely © to avoid an eventual crash from junk overload.

III. There are registry cleaners capable of finding the above, but I've yet to see one where "High Risk" didn't mean "This could seriously endanger your PC," and "Low Risk" meant deleting something was optional with no great risk either way.

There should be DEAD or OBSOLETE and/or UNNECESSARY registry keys listed to be removed -- AND a warning of the risk of KEEPING them in reg.edit, period.

Surely there can be an "Advanced" section for geeks who are interested in the operational components being listed for whatever their reasons. But to MIX them with a general Registry Cleaner is less than user-friendly. The latter bodes exponential disaster for average users/non-geeks and, subsequently, IObit's mounting and superb, well-earned reputation... which I'd hate to see. :cry:

IV. It's not unusal over a period of time for there to be 40 to 500 or more keys that need to be gone (depending on how often the computer is used, new software is set-up or deleted, etc, and how often a User cleans up the H-D). With IObit's Registry Cleaner I've had 2 to 280+ results in one day. Who has time to go through a list that large to make selections, particularly for someone who doesn't have a degree in Computer Science to determine what can safely (and should be) deleted?

Offering Settings in the current version that include operational references with which MOST Users are unfamiliar (and don't really need to know in terms of operation unless they're being paid to repair computers), doesn't help.

---------------

Consideration for adjusting and simplifying the Registry Cleaner would be greatfully appreciated.

As it is, I'm either going back to the 3.70 version ... or not using the Registry Cleaner in 4.2.0 PRO and risking headaches with loss of keys that make this machine operate, which is not a preference. :sad:

WriterJC

An IObit Advocator

Writer JC, I couldn't agree more. Until I screwed my W7 system and had to get Microsoft support to rectify, I used your (obvious) logic! I then emailed ASC and found out that their logic was different to mine!

Now I rarely use Deep Registry clean - and when I do, I'm very selective about what I "repair". But this gives rise to two problems raised in this email thread, namely

(1) How can I determine what should be deleted? and

(2) How can I select several items for deletion without having to individually click each box (most programs permit the use of the ctrl key to select a list of items, but ASC doen't appear to do so).

Hi stevehyland!

Welcome here!

Just so you know WriterJC is running a different version of ASC than the newest one.

WriterJC reports running version ASC v.4.2.0 PRO in user profile. And loyalty to it in another post on this thread.

The newest version is the .158 you are running. It may be found here: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=11824

There is an impending release of a new version of ASC soon! I hope it will contain many fixes and modifications concerning the implementation of the tools as well as adequate warnings.

My advice remains that users must uncheck ALL high risk items in the registry repair section unless they are absolutely sure of what they are!!!

Sincerely

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

• 5 months later...

Thoroughly disappointed and dissatisfied with IObit's Registry Cleaner and the need to UNCHECK 300+ "High Risk" results, I found and ran a different Registry Cleaner.

After finding and cleaning out the errors the following message popped up -- something IObit ASC ought to be able to do instead of checking all those "High Risk" keys and leaving it up to Users to UNcheck those keys that should NOT be deleted. The pop-up read:

:idea: "...398 of 727 errors detected on your computer were fixed. Perhaps the remaining 329 errors may not have been fixed because FILES WERE REGISTRY KEYS LOCKED BY OTHER PROGRAMS."

Source: Auslogics Boost Speed

Writer JC

Intel,Celeron CPU 2.93 GHz

XP Home SP3 32 bit

2.93 GHz, 960 MB RAM

MS Essentials

IObit Malware Fighter PRO

IObit ASC 5.0 PRO

Auslogics Disk De-Frag

Auslogics Boost Speed

Ccleaner

Hi Writer JC

I do not see much difference

In the deep registry check in ASC (300+ high risk files) and the 329 not cleaned in the other program (auslogic?). In ASC you can choose not to run the very deep fix or you can choose to do it. If you choose to you get a list that will tell you the names of the files.

I once sorted through about 2000 it took about 10-15 minutes by sorting them after their extention and unticking those I didn't know or was uneasy about and deleting the rest- very many of them was easy to recognize as coming from programs I had uninstalled - this was before I began to use Revo.. No ill effects came from that to my knowledge, if there had been some ill effect inside a fair amount of time. I would have restored the item(s) deleted by finding it in my Recycle bin. So I should remember not to empty the recycle bin and not have any program do it either - until I was fairly sure that no ill effects would crop up.

Having done that once there will be far fewer found next time you run it - a couple of months later - perhaps as few as 10 or less if you do not install and uninstall countless programs, with the standard uninstaller. At the moment for me 4 items

Auslogic? do say that the items not cleaned away MAY be locked files - In order to determine that you will have to find them and investigate those one by one anyway to see if would be alright to delete them.

Isn't that so?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s.

By the way cleaning the registry should not be done very often except in very special circumstances fx. if you download and install and uninstall countless programs every day, in my opinion.

Thoroughly disappointed and dissatisfied with IObit's Registry Cleaner and the need to UNCHECK 300+ "High Risk" results, I found and ran a different Registry Cleaner.

After finding and cleaning out the errors the following message popped up -- something IObit ASC ought to be able to do instead of checking all those "High Risk" keys and leaving it up to Users to UNcheck those keys that should NOT be deleted. The pop-up read:

:idea: "...398 of 727 errors detected on your computer were fixed. Perhaps the remaining 329 errors may not have been fixed because FILES WERE REGISTRY KEYS LOCKED BY OTHER PROGRAMS."

Source: Auslogics Boost Speed

Writer JC

XP Home SP3 32 bit

2.93 GHz, 960 MB RAM

MS Essentials

IObit ASC 5.0 PRO

Auslogics Disk De-Frag

Auslogics Boost Speed

Ccleaner

• 2 months later...

SO SO SO heartily agree with you. I've an avid puter user, but know virtually nothing about anything other than the programs I work with. Translation: I'm quite dangerous to my own system - deleting reg keys, etc.

I learned that deleting all the items brought up in the Power Scan can cause big fat problems and it set me back almost two weeks of several-times-daily system restores as I was learning this.

Just now did a Power Scan after uninstalling a free trial version of PhotoShop CS6 that ended, and the powerscan came up with 54,070 items. Weeel, last time I deleted all of them, it began that two weeks of wailing and hair-tearing.

How IS the average person to know which items are safe to delete? And you betcha, this is exactly why we want to use a powerful uninstaller like Iobit. (which I dearly love other than this one thing)

Hi stacil... welcome to the Iobit forums!

SO SO SO heartily agree with you. I've an avid puter user, but know virtually nothing about anything other than the programs I work with. Translation: I'm quite dangerous to my own system - deleting reg keys, etc.

I learned that deleting all the items brought up in the Power Scan can cause big fat problems and it set me back almost two weeks of several-times-daily system restores as I was learning this.

Just now did a Power Scan after uninstalling a free trial version of PhotoShop CS6 that ended, and the powerscan came up with 54,070 items. Weeel, last time I deleted all of them, it began that two weeks of wailing and hair-tearing.

How IS the average person to know which items are safe to delete? And you betcha, this is exactly why we want to use a powerful uninstaller like Iobit. (which I dearly love other than this one thing)

Who do you agree with?

It would be most helpful if you would describe which version of ASC you are using as it is not in your UserCP. Also are you refering to the Iobit uninstaller within the toolbox? You have posted in the registry cleaner suggestion within the toolbox thread. I have looked at two different versions of ASC non beta and can find no "Power Scan" within the registry cleaner in the toolbox. Please clarify the details:-).

Many people obsess with registry cleaning... your registry is a very small part of information sizewise... that is why it is so easily cached by Windows within your system.

Your question is not clear?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

• 1 month later...

Dear Solbjerg,

I don't know the ratio between computer Guru's and those of us who have learned about computers by trial and error (no formal education on the subject), but I'd be willing to bet there are more of the latter -- including yours truly ... and therein lies a HUGE difference. Let me explain...

What we are looking for is TRUST in software, and TIME saved in using that software to keep our computers clean, protected, and fast.

If one Registry Cleaner (Auslogics) is super fast and delivers "results" that automatically get "deleted" with one click -- EXCEPT those that should NOT be deleted b/c they are in "locked files" (meaning from the O/S), both TRUST and TIME have been achieved.

In other words, that Registry Cleaner was programmed NOT to delete critical parts of the O/S or other downloaded programs used on a regular basis.

That Registry Cleaner is programmed to recognize and ELIMINATE the *junk* -- safely and quickly -- from the Hard-Drive that eventually CAN and WILL cause it to crash …. and does so without ANY fear of having to spend hours on end in restoring critical parts of the O/S or preferred programs.

Unfortunately, the IObit Registry Cleaner's "results" come with hundreds or thousands of O/S items already checked as "High Risk" that requires UNchecking them. For those of us who are not Guru's and don't know what the endings mean, or which items are part of the O/S (or any other program), TRUST goes out the window.

For those who don't have 15-90 minutes to UNcheck 300-2,100 items that are, in fact, NOT a high risk to the H-D, but part of the O/S, et al ... or for those who might have to spend frustrating hours determining what has to be restored (much less the time Computer Dummies like me who wouldn't know the answer if it bit me), Trust and Time go out the window.

Let me put it another way (no offense intended!):

Calling any part of an Operating System, or integral parts of other useful and needed programs, a "High Risk" TO THE HARD-DRIVE, is as counterintuitive as it is plain NUTS.

One presumes there's a reason a manufacturer locks those files ... primarily so that the majority of Users -- who don't know squat about operational components -- do NOT delete them.

Agreed, the Registry Cleaner should not be used as frequently as running Internet Options on Explorer to clean the cache of junk collected on a browser; however, how often one runs a Registry Cleaner does depend on how many hours one spends on the computer and what one is doing. Sometimes once a month is adequate; for some quarterly or semi-annually is enough, and for others it may mean running a Registry Cleaner in 3 weeks' time. Common sense rules.

Cheers,

Writer JC

XP Home SP3 32 bit

2.93 GHz, 960 MB RAM

MS Essentials

IObit ASC 6.0 PRO

Auslogics Disk De-Frag

Auslogics Boost Speed

Ccleaner

Hi Writer JC

I do not see much difference

In the deep registry check in ASC (300+ high risk files) and the 329 not cleaned in the other program (auslogic?). In ASC you can choose not to run the very deep fix or you can choose to do it. If you choose to you get a list that will tell you the names of the files.

I once sorted through about 2000 it took about 10-15 minutes by sorting them after their extention and unticking those I didn't know or was uneasy about and deleting the rest- very many of them was easy to recognize as coming from programs I had uninstalled - this was before I began to use Revo.. No ill effects came from that to my knowledge, if there had been some ill effect inside a fair amount of time. I would have restored the item(s) deleted by finding it in my Recycle bin. So I should remember not to empty the recycle bin and not have any program do it either - until I was fairly sure that no ill effects would crop up.

Having done that once there will be far fewer found next time you run it - a couple of months later - perhaps as few as 10 or less if you do not install and uninstall countless programs, with the standard uninstaller. At the moment for me 4 items

Auslogic? do say that the items not cleaned away MAY be locked files - In order to determine that you will have to find them and investigate those one by one anyway to see if would be alright to delete them.

Isn't that so?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s.

By the way cleaning the registry should not be done very often except in very special circumstances fx. if you download and install and uninstall countless programs every day, in my opinion.

Hi Writer JC

I feel we are about the same age - I will be 69 in May.

I am certainly no computer Guru, having learned by trial and error what little I know since the middle of the nineties.

I am a logger(timber), farmer and concreter/builder, but I have retired from too much hard work :-)

The tendencies in almost all programs today is to make them more and more automatic, leaving those of us that like to know what we are doing a bit in the dark, - therefore I like programs that leave somthing for me to do - that way I MAY learn something.

But like King Canute I cannot stop the tide :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Dear Solbjerg,

I don't know the ratio between computer Guru's and those of us who have learned about computers by trial and error (no formal education on the subject), but I'd be willing to bet there are more of the latter -- including yours truly ... and therein lies a HUGE difference. Let me explain...

What we are looking for is TRUST in software, and TIME saved in using that software to keep our computers clean, protected, and fast.

If one Registry Cleaner (Auslogics) is super fast and delivers "results" that automatically get "deleted" with one click -- EXCEPT those that should NOT be deleted b/c they are in "locked files" (meaning from the O/S), both TRUST and TIME have been achieved.

In other words, that Registry Cleaner was programmed NOT to delete critical parts of the O/S or other downloaded programs used on a regular basis.

That Registry Cleaner is programmed to recognize and ELIMINATE the *junk* -- safely and quickly -- from the Hard-Drive that eventually CAN and WILL cause it to crash …. and does so without ANY fear of having to spend hours on end in restoring critical parts of the O/S or preferred programs.

Unfortunately, the IObit Registry Cleaner's "results" come with hundreds or thousands of O/S items already checked as "High Risk" that requires UNchecking them. For those of us who are not Guru's and don't know what the endings mean, or which items are part of the O/S (or any other program), TRUST goes out the window.

For those who don't have 15-90 minutes to UNcheck 300-2,100 items that are, in fact, NOT a high risk to the H-D, but part of the O/S, et al ... or for those who might have to spend frustrating hours determining what has to be restored (much less the time Computer Dummies like me who wouldn't know the answer if it bit me), Trust and Time go out the window.

Let me put it another way (no offense intended!):

Calling any part of an Operating System, or integral parts of other useful and needed programs, a "High Risk" TO THE HARD-DRIVE, is as counterintuitive as it is plain NUTS.

One presumes there's a reason a manufacturer locks those files ... primarily so that the majority of Users -- who don't know squat about operational components -- do NOT delete them.

Agreed, the Registry Cleaner should not be used as frequently as running Internet Options on Explorer to clean the cache of junk collected on a browser; however, how often one runs a Registry Cleaner does depend on how many hours one spends on the computer and what one is doing. Sometimes once a month is adequate; for some quarterly or semi-annually is enough, and for others it may mean running a Registry Cleaner in 3 weeks' time. Common sense rules.

Cheers,

Writer JC

XP Home SP3 32 bit

2.93 GHz, 960 MB RAM

MS Essentials

IObit ASC 6.0 PRO

Auslogics Disk De-Frag

Auslogics Boost Speed

Ccleaner

Hi WriterJC!

You do realize that from day one of this thread (that you created) you are posting about the Iobit toolbox and not the general functions of ASC (AdvancedSystem Care)? Perhaps it is not fair to judge the toolbox which was designed with professionals in mind at the time :neutral:(it took multiple clicks to run this tool out of the toolbox within ASC):shock:

Granted the toolbox should be labeled with more cautions.:smile: But also you should be more cautious???

Maybe you should compare Apples to Apples? Oops... the competitor doesn't offer an Apple... oh well...

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Solbjerg,

You are light years ahead of me in the learning and curiosity department when it comes to the mechanics of computers, its language and operations.

Since retiring I continue to research and write, travel (a break from the computer), and spoil my grandsons.

Enjoy your retirement!

Cheers,

writer JC

Hi Writer JC

I feel we are about the same age - I will be 69 in May.

I am certainly no computer Guru, having learned by trial and error what little I know since the middle of the nineties.

I am a logger(timber), farmer and concreter/builder, but I have retired from too much hard work :-)

The tendencies in almost all programs today is to make them more and more automatic, leaving those of us that like to know what we are doing a bit in the dark, - therefore I like programs that leave somthing for me to do - that way I MAY learn something.

But like King Canute I cannot stop the tide :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Mel:

First, belated Happy Birthday! :wink:

My only angst is this topic, NOT the Toolbox! In any case, I found an alternative solution for the Registry Cleaner ... as a non-professional.

Sorry if my comments left any other impression.

There's lots about IObit/ASC that rates 5-stars and makes my time online safer. Have sent scores of Users to IObit and they're as happy as I am with the program, the Forum (and rapid assistance), as well as feeling more secure online as a result.

Cheers!

Writer JC

You do realize that from day one of this thread (that you created) you are posting about the Iobit toolbox and not the general functions of ASC (AdvancedSystem Care)? Perhaps it is not fair to judge the toolbox which was designed with professionals in mind at the time :neutral:(it took multiple clicks to run this tool out of the toolbox within ASC):shock:

Granted the toolbox should be labeled with more cautions.:smile: But also you should be more cautious???

Maybe you should compare Apples to Apples? Oops... the competitor doesn't offer an Apple... oh well...

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Wow... haven't I made a somewhat visually confusing post?

Mel:

First, belated Happy Birthday! :wink:

My only angst is this topic, NOT the Toolbox!

Thanks for that writer JC! Today is another present to be blessed with!

So happy to be here and help clarify my post further:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10644&d=1351227145

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Writer JC

XP Home SP3 32 bit

2.93 GHz, 960 MB RAM

MS Essentials

IObit ASC 6.0 PRO

Auslogics Disk De-Frag

Auslogics Boost Speed

Ccleaner

Ok!:smile:

<snip> Have you tried ASC version 6?

You may find it more to your liking.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Writer :-)

You have a high GHz, do you have any problems concerning RAM?

I have 2.07 GHz and have 1.45 GB RAM - I changed my motherboard in the middle of the zeroes.

Otherwise our setups look alike except that I don't have any Auslogic and do use SmartDefrag :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Writer JC

XP Home SP3 32 bit

2.93 GHz, 960 MB RAM

MS Essentials

IObit ASC 6.0 PRO

Auslogics Disk De-Frag

Auslogics Boost Speed

Ccleaner