IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Why is there no Explanation of the IMF pop-up?

DNA

I searched through the help files and the online instruction manual and NO where do you show a picture of the pop-up or explain the options that appear on the pop-up.

I've had several pop-ups in the lower right corner of my desktop when a program is apparently trying to modify the registry. I understand the two buttons that say BLOCK or ALLOW, but there are also two other choices that can be clicked. There is also an underlined word called "Credit" and another word that can be clicked called "Remember".

Why in the world do you not explain what these four options are for? What does clicking the word "Credit" do? What does clicking the word "Remember" do?

Often I do not see the entire path and name of the program trying to make the change, so I do not know if I should Block or Allow or Credit or Remember!! One of pop-ups occurred during a Windows update, and I selected "Block". Now I don't know if I should have Allowed the change.

How about a detailed explanation of these pop-up options? Thanks

Hi DNA

Would you please attach a screenshot that show these pop-ups!

Cheers

solbjerg

I searched through the help files and the online instruction manual and NO where do you show a picture of the pop-up or explain the options that appear on the pop-up.

I've had several pop-ups in the lower right corner of my desktop when a program is apparently trying to modify the registry. I understand the two buttons that say BLOCK or ALLOW, but there are also two other choices that can be clicked. There is also an underlined word called "Credit" and another word that can be clicked called "Remember".

Why in the world do you not explain what these four options are for? What does clicking the word "Credit" do? What does clicking the word "Remember" do?

Often I do not see the entire path and name of the program trying to make the change, so I do not know if I should Block or Allow or Credit or Remember!! One of pop-ups occurred during a Windows update, and I selected "Block". Now I don't know if I should have Allowed the change.

How about a detailed explanation of these pop-up options? Thanks

Ok scrd

I don't remember, please explain it to DNA

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

Its the standard warning pop-up, hes talking about.

We touched on this sometime back.

There is no log file produced by this action, so you cant go back and find out what it was.

Roy

IMF pop-up Registry change

Hi DNA,

This is a standard IMF, (red in colour), pop-up, somewhat like UAC, in vista & W7. It is a warning message that a program wants to change registry details.

It details which program wants to change your registry, and gives you the option to allow/deny it. It also has a remember this option so that any further changes made by this program would also be allowed/denied.

As i mentioned previously no log file is produced so you cant go back and find it.

Roy

I'm glad somebody else asked this same question. I was going to ask myself because I was wondering some of the very same things.

I read through the responses given in reply to the original poster and some of it was helpful, but I do have some of my own questions on the same topic.

1.) How is a user supposed to know what to allow and what not to allow? There is not enough information given to make an informed decision. :-?

2.) Also, as the original poster stated, there are two other highlighted options given in addition to the choice to allow or block: remember and credit.

The choice to remember is self-explanatory, so I'm clear as to what that means, but what in the heck does credit mean?!

Hi Johnny, I'm also from NEO.

I don't know about you, but I find it absolutely unbelievable that Solbjerg,

the administrator of this forum which is on the IOBit website, and who has

nearly 6000 posts, doesn't even seem to know what his own programs do

or look like!!! UNREAL!

He can't even explain what the four options are in the pop-up

and what they all do. :roll:

So I'll ask again as I did in the first post . . .

"How about a detailed explanation of these pop-up options? Thanks":-x

Solbjerg is a website volunteer, not a IObit employee or programmer.

Cicely is the only IObit employee that regularly visits this website.

We users that visit regularly do not use all of IObit's software, so we are not experts on all programs.

We just try to help when we can.

Solbjerg knows more than most of us though.

Thanks Toppack

I am using XP and have never seen the pop-ups mentioned - which is why I asked for a screenshot.

Someone ought to be able to answer him I think - these pop-ups aren't mentioned in the IMF v. 1.3 settings by me though.

Is it possible that they are only seen by those with Win 7 ?

Cheers

solbjerg

@ DNA "Is the setting Quarantine threats when removing them" ticked?

p.s. I do see the Block and Allow in the language file though, but I do not see the word Credit there.

Solbjerg is a website volunteer, not a IObit employee or programmer.

Cicely is the only IObit employee that regularly visits this website.

We users that visit regularly do not use all of IObit's software, so we are not experts on all programs.

We just try to help when we can.

Solbjerg knows more than most of us though.

I am using XP and have never seen the pop-ups mentioned - which is why I asked for a screenshoot. Is it possible that they are only seen by those with Win 7?

Solbjerg,

Please let me try and clear some of this stuff up.

The pop ups are only on the screen for approximately 15 seconds, so it's pretty hard to snag a screenshot (especially since you don't always notice them right away). So, in other words, don't hold your breath waiting for someone to provide one.

And logs are not kept by IMF of the pop ups nor of the changes that have been allowed or denied either. (Which, by the way, for the record, is really awful and needs to be fixed in an upcoming release — because there is no way to go back and undo anything if you blocked something by mistake — or if you allowed something that you shouldn't have).

It doesn't matter which version of Windows you have. I have XP, and I've seen them.

The pop ups appear whenever a program wants to make changes to the registry. If the real-time protection guards are enabled, IMF acts very similar to Windows Defender or to, say, Spybot S & D's TeaTimer; you will get a pop up from IObit Malware Fighter asking permission to allow the change whenever a program is trying to make one.

Is the setting "quarantine threats when removing them" ticked?

The pop ups have nothing to do with the quarantine, so it wouldn't matter if that was ticked or not. The quarantine is where malware (that has been detected) is encrypted and stored. The pop ups, however, are not necessarily triggered by malware (although they could be). The pop ups appear whenever software (either legitimate software or malware) is attempting to make changes to the system. Their purpose is to alert the user to the attempted changes and give them the option to either block or allow them.

Hi, DNA. Glad to hear that. :smile: Go, Browns!

I'll ask again as I did in the first post . . . "How about a detailed explanation of these pop-up options? Thanks." :-x

Although I have my own questions too; I can, however, still help with some of yours.

Allow and Block: These are pretty self-explanatory. They simply give you the ability to either allow an attempted change to your system — or to block it (as I explained above).

The problem, though, is that not enough information is given to make an informed decision. However, in IObit's defense, many other programs are just as bad. For example: Windows Defender, Spybot's TeaTimer, and several other programs give the same type of pop ups concerning system changes, and they do not provide any information to help the user to decide either. The user is, apparently, just supposed to "know."

There is some common sense involved, though. For example, if you are downloading legitimate software, and you get a pop up by IMF during the installation asking permission to allow a change, you should allow it. However, if you get a pop up out of nowhere, say, for example, right after visiting a website or after opening an attachment, you should probably definitely block the change.

Remember: This one is also easily explained and easy to understand. If you are positive that a requested change is from a legitimate program and wish to allow it, you can select the option to remember so that IMF will never bother you again with a pop up for the exact same thing.

Credit: I have no idea what this means! :-x I've never seen such a term used by other similar programs either, so I have no clue. I wish that IObit would spend more time writing their user manuals to make them more helpful. They should cover everything in them (all the product features and their uses) instead of just merely providing a basic outline.

While we wait for that day to come, can we get an answer from IObit in the meantime regarding what credit means?

Hi DNA!

I don't know about you, but I find it absolutely unbelievable that Solbjerg,

the administrator of this forum which is on the IOBit website, and who has

nearly 6000 posts, doesn't even seem to know what his own programs do

or look like!!! UNREAL!

He can't even explain what the four options are in the pop-up

and what they all do. :roll:

So I'll ask again as I did in the first post . . .

"How about a detailed explanation of these pop-up options? Thanks":-x

It is as Toppack states! Solbjerg is not getting the pop-ups and is working to understand! There are several administrators, some moderators, and a Mediator here who are active... there is one who you hardly ever see and another you will probably never see!!! We all post here out of freewill and goodwill!

I agree with you Johnny Sokko on this:

Credit: I have no idea what this means! :-x I've never seen such a term used by other similar programs either, so I have no clue. I wish that IObit would spend more time writing their user manuals to make them more helpful. They should cover everything in them (all the product features and their uses) instead of just merely providing a basic outline.

Who do you suggest I am chiding?!

Who? :???:

It was clear who I said you were chiding (I hope so, at least).

I think that's a typo, though. I'm pretty sure you meant to say "why," right?

If yes, perhaps all those exclamation points that you used may have had something to do with me thinking that. ;-)

Notice the big difference:

A.) Neutral tone, well-meaning and informative: "It is as Toppack states. Solbjerg is not getting the pop-ups and is working to understand. There are several administrators, some moderators, and a Mediator here who are active...there is one who you hardly ever see and another you will probably never see. We all post here out of freewill and goodwill."

Versus

B.) Strong and excited emotional tone, appearance of yelling, and an appearance of reprimanding the poster: "It is as Toppack states! Solbjerg is not getting the pop-ups and is working to understand! There are several administrators, some moderators, and a Mediator here who are active...there is one who you hardly ever see and another you will probably never see!!! We all post here out of freewill and goodwill!"

I hope you can see what I mean.

I think that I will revisit how I post and become more mechanical. I will try my best not to be enthusiastic.

LOL — Please feel free to be enthusiastic all you want. Don't stop because of me.

I wasn't criticizing everything that you've ever written; I was just pointing out something from one response. I thought I was being constructive by pointing out to you that your reply, the way it was written, had the potential to be perceived in a negative way by DNA.

allow - block - credit- remember

Hi guys

Allow and block is self-explanatory I think.

To have a list of explanatory remarks for the millions of possibilities for blocking and allowing is a bit too much, I think.

As JohnnySokko says common sense ought to go a long way in this regard.

Remember should be rather easy to, if one surmises that what is to be remembered is the allow/block action one has taken - my guess is that that won't be far from the truth. :-)

Credit is usually used to recognize those people that have been especially helpful - but these are now normally mentioned under "About"

I also think that it should be easy to find out - just click the "Credit" and see what happens :-)

I cannot do that myself as I have never seen the word in that program.

15 seconds should be ample time to hit the PrintScreen key :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. What protection level is chosen? The recommended or the high?

I go with the recommended level because the program tells you that you run a greater risk of false positives if you use the "High" setting. This could perhaps explain why I have never seen the pop-ups!

To have a list of explanatory remarks for the millions of possibilities for blocking and allowing is a bit too much, I think.

Very true, . . . but there are a couple of programs out there that make recommendations based on information in their clouds. I can't remember what the names of the programs are right now, though; but it would be great to see IObit go somewhere in that direction. :-)

Credit is usually used to recognize those people that have been especially helpful - but these are now normally mentioned under "About." I also think that it should be easy to find out - just click the "Credit" and see what happens :-)

I don't think I like that idea, Solbjerg. We're talking about registry changes here and stuff; this isn't the place to play Let's See What This Button Does! Most importantly, though, if someone clicks credit (just to see what it does) they're going to miss the chance to make their real selection to either block or allow the change.

:idea: Wouldn't simply asking one of the developers be the easiest and best way to find out?

As an Administrator, don't you have a way to get in touch with them when their help is needed here?

I have never seen the word [Credit] in that program.

I'm surprised that you've never seen it. It's not actually anywhere in the GUI, though. I'm not sure if you realized that or not. The pop ups that we've been talking about are completely separate from the GUI; they show up in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen occasionally.

15 seconds should be ample time to hit the PrintScreen key :-)

Can we have a contest to see who can manage to get one the fastest? How about a contest where the first person to capture and upload a screenshot of this elusive message gets a free license to any IObit product of their choice! Can we do that? :-D

What protection level is chosen? The recommended or the high? I go with the recommended level because the program tells you that you run a greater risk of false positives if you use the "High" setting. This could perhaps explain why I have never seen the pop-ups!

Mine is set at the recommended level, too; so that doesn't explain why you've never seen them. :-?

They only show up, though, if you're installing new software or if you're under attack and the malware is trying to make changes to your system.

Haven't you installed any new programs lately? If you have, they should have appeared.

Hi JohnnySokko

I do not install new programs very often.

My firewall (Windows) sometimes asks me to allow or block a program though. (not very often either though)

About screenshots - as I said I have not seen the pop-up you are inquiring about so I chose a IMF pop-up where the window of opportunity is 5 seconds - that was easily accomplished. :-)

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9432&stc=1&d=1328276050 :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. what services do you have on your network?

Mine is set at the recommended level, too; so that doesn't explain why you've never seen them. :-?

They only show up, though, if you're installing new software or if you're under attack and the malware is trying to make changes to your system.

Haven't you installed any new programs lately? If you have, they should have appeared.

I do not install new programs very often.

That explains why you haven't seen the pop up.

I just downloaded a program that I've been meaning to, and I was able to capture a screenshot which I am attaching. Now you can see what we're talking about.

My firewall (Windows) sometimes asks me to allow or block a program, though. (Not very often either, though.)

:???: That's weird. My Windows Firewall hasn't talked to me once in 5 years! :cry:

p.s. What services do you have on your network?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Please give me an example of what you mean by "services."

Hi JohnnySokko

Thanks - now I can see what you are talking about :-)

My guess is that the credit pertains to the superantispyware you have just downloaded - and that it will send you to their site to see if you have gotten the file from the right place or some other form of validation - perhaps just to buy their pro version? :-)

It is as I said not very often with the Windows firewal, probable some years for me too.

If you open the Windows firewall and choose Advanced and choose a connection and click the button settings you will see what I am talking about concerning services. :-)

Did you have any trouble with the time it took you to capture your screenshot? :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

That explains why you haven't seen the pop up.

I just downloaded a program that I've been meaning to, and I was able to capture a screenshot which I am attaching. Now you can see what we're talking about.

:???: That's weird. My Windows Firewall hasn't talked to me once in 5 years! :cry:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Please give me an example of what you mean by "services."

CREDIT in pop-up window of IObit Malware Fighter!

Hi guys,

Here is what CREDIT is in the pop-up info window of IMF.

The example of the operation of enabling SUPERAntispyware start up with Windows by CCleaner.

When you click on CREDIT, IMF gives the credit to the process of CCleaner.exe to allow the registry change for SUPERAntispyware.exe at start up (RUN -Autorun). (auto remember allow included) ( Remember also can be chosen for allowing or blocking the registry as a seperate operation. Below the line.)

Not quite a simple logical GUI. 8-)

JohnnySokko's image shows the possibility of giving credit to SUPERAntimalware.exe for the change of the registry for start up of itself (SUPERAntispyware.exe).

EDIT: Sorry for the mistake, SUPERAntimalware above should read SUPERAntispyware. Thanks for the reminder JohnnySokko post #27 of this thread.

All can be seen

in: remember.ini file

@: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter

I think the images are self explaining.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9437&d=1328298469 http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9438&d=1328298481

NOTE: You can not screenshot the pop-up window after clicking prt sc key if you click CREDIT before pasting the image to MS Paint. Giving 20 seconds for the tips to stay helps.

In the mean time, I have discovered that there is a bug when you click on View by Regedit, the Details of the registry key of SUPERAntispyware.

It takes you to registry key (Run) of Sidebar.:roll:

Cheers.

BTW, when solbjerg said that CREDIT was not in the language file, he was right, as it is not included in the English.lng file, but it should be. (So it can not be translated.)

A very logical approach to find out where it is used if you have not seen the pop-up window solbjerg. http://forums.iobit.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Personally, I thought it was a link to the explanation of the rating of a process in a web page. :-P:lol:

Being rarely seen by many, after all those translations to many languages, it is missed. :cry:

The following bold strings are missing in English language file.

[iMF_ThreatForm]

Label_URL_Credit.Caption=CREDIT

Label_Registry_Credit.Caption=CREDIT

Thanks to all who brought up this matter to the Forum. :-D

Cheers.

Archived