IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

IObit icons missing after running ASC5

r1morton

I've installed ASC5 on several computers, my own included, and it never fails but that after running Deep Scan a few times I loose most of my icons in my ASC start menu folder and my Smart Defrag start menu folder. It's just IObit programs that I loose the default icon on. I go to properties > change icon and it already shows the correct icon, but it doesn't display.

Hi r1morton! Welcome to Iobit forums!

That is most unusual! Are you running the free or Pro version of ASC.? Have you been using Iobit ASC and Smart Defrag for awhile and perhaps installed the newer versions over the old ones? It sounds like the remnants of previous installs may be interfering.

Please post back as to whether or not they are new installs or have been re-installed,

A clean install might do the trick! Guidelines are here and here.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Same problem here!

I have been using ASC Pro V5.1 for some time. Suddenly, the graphical icons for IOBIT products disappeared since yesterday. I tried to increase the cache size to 5K using the ASC tools. But it did not work. I then deleted the thumbnails using Windows' disk clean up tool, and rebooted the Windows 7 laptop. Other icons rebuilt except IOBIT products.

What should I do next?

Are the Icons changed to the mostly white general-purpose Icon?

If so and the white Icon is on Desktop or in folder, you can also restore icons by right-clicking the Icon, then click 'properties' >>'change Icon' button>> then Double click the selected icon, in selection-option window>> then 'Apply'.

(usually there will be only one icon to select)

Note:

I've found that many times you will need to do that sequence Twice for it to work, which is 'Strange but True'.

That will not work for Icons on Task-bar.

Thanks. Yes, the icons changed to mostly white general purpose icons.

Your suggestion fixed the icon on the desktop. But the main ASC in the folder still shows the general purpose icon, as I cannot right click it and change icon like the one on the desktop. There is no such selection.

Is that a folder on Desktop?

If so, that procedure should work for Icons in it also.

Or are you referring to ASC's folder, viewed by Explorer-FileManager?

If so, I'm not sure how to recover those?

But usually correct Icons are not needed there, as long as the program runs properly.

If you have not tried running the many utility programs in ASC,

I would deactivate All but one at a time, to see if all of them are running properly, the first time you run them.

(by removing check-marks)

Be sure to deactivate all settings, in each utility, that you are Not sure about being compatible with your other software

and your systems hardware.

Thanks for the tips. I have used quite a few tools already. They seemed to work fine.

I did a search and found people fixed their icon issues by increasing the icon cache size to 8000. I looked at mine and it was set to 5000. My guess is that the IOBit Win Fix tool changed it to 5000.

Thanks for the help. ASC V5.1 helped my other older computers run faster. I like it so far!

Hi vett93,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us, please kindly help us look into this issue.

1) We are not sure what icons do you point to, do you mean the icon in ASC start menu folder? If possible, please take a screenshot of the trouble, it will greatly help us understand the issue.

Guide for Taking Screenshots:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

2) Have you tried to solve this issue by increasing the icon cache size to 8000? If no, please have try and let us know the result.:wink:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Cicely,

I have fixed some corrupted icons using the method Toppack suggested. But there are still two areas that I did not fix yet. One is the "Quick Start" icon in the Start menu and the other is the ASC icon in the folder that ASC resides. I'll put these screen shots in the attachments.

This is the 2nd time I have this issue. When it occured previously, I changed the cache size to 8K, deleted the thumbnails, and rebooted the computer. The problem went away. I tried the same method this time but it did not work. I had to use the method that Toppack suggested to get some icons back.

The reason I knew about this is because I have had similar problems when installing version upgrades of ASC.

So IObit programmers are definitely doing something different than is done in most programs.

I realize this is not a High-priority problem but I agree that it is something that needs to be fixed.

Hi vett

It looks like you have both version 4 and version 5 installed. Is that intentionally?

Cheers

solbjerg

No, it was not intentional. I upgraded to V5 from V4. Was I supposed to delete V4 first and then do a clean install?

Thanks.

hi vett

It is sometimes the best course to have only one version - or if you want to have both at least install the latest first as a clean install and then you can try if installing the previous version too will give any problems.

But let us see if a complete uninstall of version 4 and a clean install of version 5 possibly cures your problem. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

No, it was not intentional. I upgraded to V5 from V4. Was I supposed to delete V4 first and then do a clean install?

Thanks.

There was a mistake in our communication. I don't think I have both V4 and V5 running. When I installed ASC V5 from ASC V4, I think V5 deleted the V4 software already. The ASC V4 folder is still there but there is no executable in the V4 folder.

Why did you think I have both still installed? Maybe I am missing something.

Hi vett

Well you may have deleted the version 4 to some extent, but at least you still have the folder and some of the leftovers here may be responsible for your problem. So my advice is to uninstall this version 4 folder by using the forced uninstall in IObit uninstaller. And then do a clean install of version 5.

The version 4 AND the version 5 were both shown in your screenshot, this made me think that you still had both versions installed.

Cheers

solbjerg

There was a mistake in our communication. I don't think I have both V4 and V5 running. When I installed ASC V5 from ASC V4, I think V5 deleted the V4 software already. The ASC V4 folder is still there but there is no executable in the V4 folder.

Why did you think I have both still installed? Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks Mel and Solbjerg. Do I just delete everything in the V4 folder? The Uninstaller in ASC V5 cannot seem to uninstall a folder.

Maybe this is a software bug in ASC's upgrade function? It seems that I should be able to use its upgrade function to upgrade the software without having to mess with the old files.

Hi vett

Yes it looks like the uninstallers forced uninstall only pertains to files (sorry that I didn't remember that)

Do you have any exe file in your version 4 folder?

Or perhaps it works with any file there?

Let's see!

Are you able to just delete the folder by giving that command in your right click? If not it is possibly because it is open or because some function or shortcut isn't closed. try first the uninstaller - if you cannot get that to work just uninstall the folder by your right click.

Then I advocate a clean install of version 5 - with the advanced option selected in the uninstaller.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks Mel and Solbjerg. Do I just delete everything in the V4 folder? The Uninstaller in ASC V5 cannot seem to uninstall a folder.

Maybe this is a software bug in ASC's upgrade function? It seems that I should be able to use its upgrade function to upgrade the software without having to mess with the old files.

Hi vett

Yes it looks like the uninstallers forced uninstall only pertains to files (sorry that I didn't remember that)

Do you have any exe file in your version 4 folder?

Or perhaps it works with any file there?

Let's see!

Are you able to just delete the folder by giving that command in your right click? If not it is possibly because it is open or because some function or shortcut isn't closed. try first the uninstaller - if you cannot get that to work just uninstall the folder by your right click.

Then I advocate a clean install of version 5 - with the advanced option selected in the uninstaller.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, I was able to delete the V4 folder by right clicking and choosing the delete function. The icons are still broken though.

Do I still need to re-install ASC V5? Will I run into problem with the license?

Hi vett93!

This is a slightly different clean install... using REVO uninstaller... goto the bottom of the download page and get the free version. Run it and choose ASC to uninstall... then select the advanced option to remove remnants. After the built in uninstaller has finished, continue.

Then check all the bolded entries and continue to check next, clicking the associated entries in the next page. When REVO is done... close the application.

Then look in your program files to find the Advanced SystemCare folder and delete it.

Then look in your documents folder to see if you have a file/folder for Iobit software there as well. If you find an Iobit folder there, right click it to verify that it is empty (after choosing properties then you can see that it is empty). Delete that folder if it is empty... if it is not please note the contents of it and post them here. If there is nothing in your documents/downloads folder then skip to the install.

The newest version of install ASC is here.

After the install check for updates and install it.

The PRO license should still work! Copy/paste it into the new install of ASC.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived