IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

States in the USA

solbjerg

The original USA was about 13 states in eastern part of American continent,

then more gradually became added as the western part of the continent became divided up.

I think Hawaii and Alaska were the last 2 states to be added as the US expanded west.

Originally Posted by Mr Bean

OK dear friend so she is correct that the USA has 48 and 2 outside there country...

The only thing wrong is that they are not outside the 'Country'.

A state can be on another continent or an Island but still be part of a Country that is somewhere else geographically.

Hi Toppack

Right! Hawaii and Alaska entered the states in 1959 by an Act of congress.

Hawaii had previously been a territory and Alaska was purchased from Russia in 1867 for 7.2 Mill. $ (Alaska by the way is the largest state)

Some of the virgin Island (Saint croix, saint john and saint thomas)

was bought from Denmark a few days before the US entered the 1. WW at the cost of 25 Mill. $ (about 4 kroner to the dollar at that time)

The American flag shows 50 stars (one for each state) and thirteen stripes for the original 13 states.

Alaska IS on the north american continent, but is separated by one Canadian territory from touching any other American state.

Hawaii lays in the middle of the Pacific and was "conquered" mainly by missionaries :-)

They are both bona fide (legal) american states - which brings the number to 50 as is shown in the flag of today.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Canada was an English protectorate/dominion prior to being sovereign, but prior to England, France had much influence there.

p.p.s. If you only count 48 stars - the picture or flag you are using is older than from 1960 I guess-

The original USA was about 13 states in eastern part of American continent,

then more gradually became added as the western part of the continent became divided up.

I think Hawaii and Alaska were the last 2 states to be added as the US expanded west.

Hi Toppack

Yes back in 1867 that would be about right if we only think about size. :-)

If we think about population I think it would cost between 1 Mill. -to at least 10 Mill. times more than Alaska at that time. :-)

By the same equation (area) Texas should have cost less than 3 Mill. at that time :-) :-)

The size of Denmark is only about a 1/6 of UK :-) about 1/15 of Texas

Cheers

solbjerg

If we bought Alaska for $7.2 million,

that means we should be able to buy the UK for about $1. million, correct?:lol:

Hi Toppack

If I could get it to prices like that I would buy Bornholm on the spot.

Bornholm is less than 1.5 % of Denmarks area. :-)

Which means that I should be able to buy Bornholm for less than 3000 $ :-)

That should be within my means :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I have my Check-book Ready. :mrgreen:

Or should I use PayPal?

hi

Right --now let me asK again

the USA (country) has 48 States with in its country...not including the outside states non attached....that was before thy added the 2 stars to now have a total of 50 states .including attached and un attached

So she is correct 48 states IN (LAND ) America, 50 total of the USA (united)

outside making the total 50....

yes the last time I counted them were 48 and its a old flag ,we still have it

and just for the sake OF She Showed it to me...she was given it when a young

woman by a dear friend of hers to Keep..that she treasures..... also if you look at the old Moves you would count 48 ! stares...

I had no idea thy added the 2 since

the difference we understand is "country"as a lot land base and treaties it has out side the lot (land) United...

so lets say I own a blocK of land say 10000 acres as A whole lot...

but may also own a lot out side the 10000....but yet is one So I would say

that I owned a lot now 12000......united in total.....if any one asked me how much land you own....my answer would be the total amount...

INTERESTING....

mute point of interest we have the cd;s Gettysburg...1 and 2 a very long historical move By the way I love it ....and the fascinating flags thy had ...for each division...I watch it over and over over the years and find it very interesting...one thing thy the states... have is a interesting history..that I love .we talking moves .oh, not all true but most we have is part true .with added fantasy ,look at John wane now there was a Yankee true gritted...

what about running with the wolfs! hey Hey what a Movie! or Charles bronson now there was a hard homburg.. and ..what about..MAKE my DAY!!!! hey real mean cowboy...

and what about DEAD WOOD ..BOY OH BOY talk about A ruff LOT

Mr Bean

Hi Mr Bean

Hawaii consist of eight major islands and more than a hundred minor ones - none of them touching each other :-)

Denmark has 1 peninsula and 443 islands - only 72 inhabited. Bornholm lies most removed from the mainland and geographically more in the Swedish sphere. But Denmark only got one land based border - Germany.

Washington D.C. (District of Columbia) is a federal district and not a state,

Has an area of 100 square miles and is situated on land that formerly belonged to Maryland and Virginia.

During the night about 600.000 live there but during the day more than 1 Mill. people occupy the city.

At the time of Washington D.C. being established the name Columbia was often poetically used of America (probably in honour of Columbus - like the state Columbia in South America.)

Cheers

solbjerg

hi

Right --now let me asK again

the USA (country) has 48 States with in its country...not including the outside states non attached....that was before thy added the 2 stars to now have a total of 50 states .including attached and un attached

So she is correct 48 states IN (LAND ) America, 50 total of the USA (united)

outside making the total 50....

yes the last time I counted them were 48 and its a old flag ,we still have it

and just for the sake OF She Showed it to me...she was given it when a young

woman by a dear friend of hers to Keep..that she treasures..... also if you look at the old Moves you would count 48 ! stares...

I had no idea thy added the 2 since

the difference we understand is "country"as a lot land base and treaties it has out side the lot (land) United...

so lets say I own a blocK of land say 10000 acres as A whole lot...

but may also own a lot out side the 10000....but yet is one So I would say

that I owned a lot now 12000......united in total.....if any one asked me how much land you own....my answer would be the total amount...

INTERESTING....

mute point of interest we have the cd;s Gettysburg...1 and 2 a very long historical move By the way I love it ....and the fascinating flags thy had ...for each division...I watch it over and over over the years and find it very interesting...one thing thy the states... have is a interesting history..that I love .we talking moves .oh, not all true but most we have is part true .with added fantasy ,look at John wane now there was a Yankee true gritted...

what about running with the wolfs! hey Hey what a Movie! or Charles bronson now there was a hard homburg.. and ..what about..MAKE my DAY!!!! hey real mean cowboy...

and what about DEAD WOOD ..BOY OH BOY talk about A ruff LOT

Mr Bean

Denmark has 1 peninsula and 443 islands - only 72 inhabited

Had No Idea There WERE are that many ....I new of, there are a lot but not that many...

Never Stop Learning..as my education was ,and is limited...I find the net a place full of learning..and sometimes get involved in reading the history

on different things that I try to adsorb..

able to take my time and enjoy the many hours reading.keeps ONE sharp!!

Mr Bean

Hi Mr. Bean!

Here is a nice map. Bornholm is the letter A

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9485&d=1329194436

Another view... satellite...http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9486&stc=1&d=1329194933

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

USA (Eastern) [Not a puppet state- HA]

I recently moved 230 miles (370 Km) closer to the Atlantic Ocean to care for a dear family member... she who bore me. I now live in this area of North Carolina, USA:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9487&d=1329197513

I grew up at Sunset Beach (seen in the bottom center). I was a surfer dude.

I am a PADI Divemaster with many of my certifications having been completed on shipwrecks in the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" (including multiple dives on Uboat victims and one Uboat itself<the U240>.) I have met divers from across the world coming here to dive shipwrecks. We have pulled up on them in the gulfstream when you could see the wreck on the bottom 100 feet below! I was cavern certified (never cave) in the deep springs of Florida.

Just saying is all... I haven't put on SCUBA in almost 20 years... most of the time I was living too far away. Now I am close and cannot! I do go fishing though! Its only a 90 minute drive to the Ocean. (@ Solbjerg... we catch from shore: "Black Drum", "Red Drum", "Whiting", "Croaker", "Toadfish (some form of blowfish)", "Blue (which must be bled and cleaned right away or they are horribly fishy), "flounder", rarely and debatedly "Sole" (could be albino flounder)... those are the desirable fish (to eat). We also catch skates and sharks and a wierd new bony fish that we have yet to identify that we believe is invasive.

My friends and I often go to Freeman park at Carolina Beach, NC ... as you are allowed to pull out on the beach if you have 4WD and pitch a tent: http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9488&d=1329199203

As you can see there are many islands here as well!:-D

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Mel

Fine picture!

I live 2/3 of the way from Rønne to Nexø on my small farm Solbjerg.

Cheers

solbjerg

Here is a nice map. Bornholm is the letter A

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9485&d=1329194436

Another view... satellite...http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9486&stc=1&d=1329194933

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Mel

Thank you for the information about fishing.

Sure sounds like a nice way to spend a weekend!!

Some of the specimens - the ones I don't have in my dictionary - will get added! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I recently moved 230 miles (370 Km) closer to the Atlantic Ocean to care for a dear family member... she who bore me. I now live in this area of North Carolina, USA:

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9487&d=1329197513

I grew up at Sunset Beach (seen in the bottom center). I was a surfer dude.

I am a PADI Divemaster with many of my certifications having been completed on shipwrecks in the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" (including multiple dives on Uboat victims and one Uboat itself<the U240>.) I have met divers from across the world coming here to dive shipwrecks. We have pulled up on them in the gulfstream when you could see the wreck on the bottom 100 feet below! I was cavern certified (never cave) in the deep springs of Florida.

Just saying is all... I haven't put on SCUBA in almost 20 years... most of the time I was living too far away. Now I am close and cannot! I do go fishing though! Its only a 90 minute drive to the Ocean. (@ Solbjerg... we catch from shore: "Black Drum", "Red Drum", "Whiting", "Croaker", "Toadfish (some form of blowfish)", "Blue (which must be bled and cleaned right away or they are horribly fishy), "flounder", rarely and debatedly "Sole" (could be albino flounder)... those are the desirable fish (to eat). We also catch skates and sharks and a wierd new bony fish that we have yet to identify that we believe is invasive.

My friends and I often go to Freeman park at Carolina Beach, NC ... as you are allowed to pull out on the beach if you have 4WD and pitch a tent: http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9488&d=1329199203

As you can see there are many islands here as well!:-D

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

yes one thing any one reading this should, even if you live in the city and never been lucky Enoch to fish...

and be-leave me there are many ...go take time out ...and try it out...

plan a holiday and go fishing...you will never forget the relaxing time,out

and not just the MEN! you girls should also give it a go...

Mr Bean

Hi Solbjerg and Mr. Bean!

Yes its wonderful to meet the ocean... and to see how it meets you! A wonderful time indeed, a glimpse at an aspect of the powerful and life giving little marble we are upon! A reminder of whats truly important and undeniable in the Universe.

The names of the fish I listed are what they are called locally... I have not looked for their species so don't know if the description will hit on your search Solbjerg... but I can verify a picture of one against what I held in my hand and Ate. Yum!!:grin:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and Prosper!

Hi Mel

I do check from other sources too, but if a local name isn't too confusing - too many interpretations - I take those too i.e.

ulk(-en) → sculpin, horny whore (fish), seascorpion, father-lasher, bull-rout.

Yes nature is wonderful - something is always happening - even if it is sometimes not easy to see.

( I use to say that you have more than enough for a life-time of study in 1 square meter in your garden, if you look closely enough) :-)

An old friend of mine was very interested in beetles (also in Beatles) (God apparently was too - he created an inordinant number of species) :-)

and at one time my friend was in she south of Sweden (Skåne) and spent several hours crawling in some farmer's field looking for some interesting species.

At last the farmer went out to him and asked if something was the matter - the farmer apparently thought that he was stupidly drunk and unable to stand. My friend explained what he was doing and apologized for the trespassing - and they both had a good laugh. (Neither of them was well-versed in the others language) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. In Sweden and Norway they had/have a concept called "allemansrätt" (now also partly in Denmark) meaning "right to roam", "free access to countryside".

You have to behave responsibly though!

Denmark (116 people per km²) is more densely populated than Sweden and Norway - on Bornholm (75 people per km²) there is only one farm that has more than 1½ km to the nearest neighbour - about 2 km north of me, most have less than a few hundred meters. :-)

Yes its wonderful to meet the ocean... and to see how it meets you! A wonderful time indeed, a glimpse at an aspect of the powerful and life giving little marble we are upon! A reminder of whats truly important and undeniable in the Universe.

The names of the fish I listed are what they are called locally... I have not looked for their species so don't know if the description will hit on your search Solbjerg... but I can verify a picture of one against what I held in my hand and Ate. Yum!!:grin:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and Prosper!

Archived