IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag disallows safe removal of USB "Mass Storage Device"

jr2

Hi,

Just thought you'd like to know, if you have a USB external hard disk classified as a "Mass Storage Device", even though Windows knows that it is removable, if Smart Defrag is running in the tray (not defragmenting, just running), it will not allow safe removal ("The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later.")

If you right-click on Smart Defrag and quit, then the disk can be successfully removed safely.

I'm not sure if this also happens with devices classified as 'removable storage', or not (yes Windows was configured to be optimized for Quick Removal with the Mass Storage devices, it did not make a difference, you can't remove them with SD running).

Perhaps SD can be made to monitor requests to remove drives, and release it's lock on the drive(s) that are requested to be removed safely by Windows?

Hi jr2

I think this subject was discussed a long time ago.

But to test it I tried with a usb-stick (I am currently on the road)

and this presented no problem. (I used a laptop with xp installed)

I do think that I remember from the erstwhile discussion that you could right click on the removal icon and remove the connection that way?

But as I said I am on the road so I could not test it with an external harddisk.

The reason that it won't work for you must I think come from that there may be some security threat in defragging settings that give the possibility to use the external harddisk while the automatic defrag is running while a defrag is going on.

I do think though that running one function at the time generally is the best way to go.

But perhaps the programmers at IObit can find a way around this.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi,

Just thought you'd like to know, if you have a USB external hard disk classified as a "Mass Storage Device", even though Windows knows that it is removable, if Smart Defrag is running in the tray (not defragmenting, just running), it will not allow safe removal ("The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later.")

If you right-click on Smart Defrag and quit, then the disk can be successfully removed safely.

I'm not sure if this also happens with devices classified as 'removable storage', or not (yes Windows was configured to be optimized for Quick Removal with the Mass Storage devices, it did not make a difference, you can't remove them with SD running).

Perhaps SD can be made to monitor requests to remove drives, and release it's lock on the drive(s) that are requested to be removed safely by Windows?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I would like to revive this post as i recently bought a USB external hard drive and i am experiencing the same problem as the OP.

In SD settings i ticked "Do Not Display Removable Drives",however when the hard drive is plugged in it still shows in the volume list but is not ticked.

When it comes to removing the hard drive i get the same message as the OP "The device Generic Volume cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later."

For now i am using the free program unlocker which shows it is SD that is using the hard drive and stops it but this problem is annoying.

Thanks

Archived