IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

disk check feature AWC 2.8.2

detailer

when running this, I have a "WARNING F parameter not specified" the app runs to it's conclusion-sometimes correcting or removing various things-so it appears to be working ok-can someone clarify? also when you select this app,a window informs you that this utility will "inspect the physcial structure of a disk....." what disk are they referring to? since this is not the utility that asks for your original windows disk-also the disk check feature indicates that it is in "read" mode-but never indicates differently when correcting errors-does it have a "write" ability? how about a quick education on the "disk check" vs. "system file checker" thank you to anyone with answers to this multi-part question OS is WINXP home-patched to SP3-all current updates IE7 FF3 AVIRA free WEBROOT spy w/ anti virus&firewall- IObit defrag- Glary Pro -Spybot S&D- and some other junk I probably don't need

disk check

thanks samr for pointing me toward some useful information-not sure I fully understand, but reading and listening to people who know should help over time-but do you have anything on that F parameter not defined thing? I get somewhat frustrated with Microsoft and their "computer speak" approach to problem solving-not much good to the self taught such as myself-anyway have a great day many thanks-Chuck

Hi detailer

/F usually in DOS (Disk Operating System) means that it Fixes errors on the disk

The warning is probably because it isn't specified which disk it has to check, so if you only had one, it probably wouldn't come up. This could be a little slip up in the program.

The disk check is essentially the same thing as Windows CheckDisk (chkdsk) in IObit it is running in Dos mode without a restart.

Windows CheckDisk demands to have a free reign before the programs come up to run the function.

In Windows chkdsk it is also possible to ask the function to check the free space too, Try it to familiarize yourself with the function. Right click on C: and choose properties, then the tab functions, and then check disk - the one of your choice!

Earlier Windows called it ScanDisk.

SFC - System File Checker, can repair the original Windows installation, but usually demands access to to the installation files/installCD, it can be used if some system files are missing or corrupted, but use it with caution.

I haven't tried the function in IObit yet, as I have had no need to, but I have used it earlier from the Run command with the command: sfc /scannow if I have had a suspicion that some files where missing or corrupted or if I got a message to that effect.

Cheers

solbjerg

when running this, I have a "WARNING F parameter not specified" the app runs to it's conclusion-sometimes correcting or removing various things-so it appears to be working ok-can someone clarify? also when you select this app,a window informs you that this utility will "inspect the physcial structure of a disk....." what disk are they referring to? since this is not the utility that asks for your original windows disk-also the disk check feature indicates that it is in "read" mode-but never indicates differently when correcting errors-does it have a "write" ability? how about a quick education on the "disk check" vs. "system file checker" thank you to anyone with answers to this multi-part question OS is WINXP home-patched to SP3-all current updates IE7 FF3 AVIRA free WEBROOT spy w/ anti virus&firewall- IObit defrag- Glary Pro -Spybot S&D- and some other junk I probably don't need

• 5 months later...

Help

Need help. This use to work, not sure when it quit working. I have searched the net, but haven't found any thing.I'm not sure what this is telling me. I need one of you brains to figure this out for me. I have unchecked every thing in start up except AVG, which I have always had. I still get this error message, after restart of OS. Could this be another of the mighty Bill's screw ups. Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors , seems to work. [garybear]

Well gary

In the first picture from the left it looks like you have been reading about chkdsk on the internet and then perhaps tried a command that was shown there in your "Run" command window, it looks like the command was chkdsk /f which will ask you precisely what the dosprompt said, if you want it to run write y (yes) in that window - and next time you restart or start your computer it will run a chkdsk.

In the middle windows it shows you how it looks in the chkdsk function in right click C: choose properties and the tab functions, and it works in the same way as the chkdsk /f in "Run".

In the last window it shows a warning that an application was running when you shut down, you can try to configure it as it said, but it really doesn't matter much. Nothing bad will happen on account of that.

By the way if you just write chkdsk.exe in the "Run" window it will perform a chkdsk without asking you to restart, and it will show you what it has restored!

Cheers

solbjerg

Need help. This use to work, not sure when it quit working. I have searched the net, but haven't found any thing.I'm not sure what this is telling me. I need one of you brains to figure this out for me. I have unchecked every thing in start up except AVG, which I have always had. I still get this error message, after restart of OS. Could this be another of the mighty Bill's screw ups. Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors , seems to work. [garybear]

I did say yes on both pictures, It didn't work either way. I should get a Winlogen report and not an error saying some thing is running. That's the way it used to work. It would show me a disk check had been run in the third picture, not the error Vserenv. I don't know of any thing I have chanced since I last tried this, but some thing is wrong and I don't know what could be stopping it from working. The error says some thing is running and not letting it check the disk[garybear]

Hi gary

In the event window in the menu line - after you have chosen all applications - under the button "view" have you clicked "show all posts" and "Newest first"?

About the chkdsk command not working, something strange must have happened, try running a sfc /scannow command.

Cheers

solbjerg

I did say yes on both pictures, It didn't work either way. I should get a Winlogen report and not an error saying some thing is running. That's the way it used to work. It would show me a disk check had been run in the third picture, not the error Vserenv. I don't know of any thing I have chanced since I last tried this, but some thing is wrong and I don't know what could be stopping it from working. The error says some thing is running and not letting it check the disk[garybear]

I give up. Thanks for your help solbjerg. PC are a pain in the axx. I don't know whats going on. I did scannow, no help. Uninstalled Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes, and reinstalled them, after trying chddsk with them deleted,it still didn't work. Went in to windows, and clicked chkdsk exe. This is what I got,but nothing in event log. I don't know if its working right or not. It used to do 5 checks, and then show in event log as winlogen.[garybear]

Hi gary

Try this:

Open "Run" - write chkdsk.exe /f

The dosprompt will come up and tell you it cannot run the command unless it has complete access to the computer, and ask you if you want to run the chkdsk after a restart of the computer!

You write y (y for yes)

Then you restart your computer

The computer opens with a blue screen and runs the chkdsk (scandisk)

after it is finished it restarts itself and when windows comes up you will see a message that tells you that your computer has been checked and all is well :-) (hopefully)

Then you go to the event viewer and open applications and find the line where it says "Windows logon", - this you right click on and view its contents, - it will tell you what actions it has performed.

If all of this doesn't work there is something very wrong with our computer.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. have you changed your msconfig?

the 5 checks is the command chkdsk C: /r as far as I remember

also in chkdsk /r or chkdsk.exe /r

because the /r command implies the /f command too!

I give up. Thanks for your help solbjerg. PC are a pain in the axx. I don't know whats going on. I did scannow, no help. Uninstalled Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes, and reinstalled them, after trying chddsk with them deleted,it still didn't work. Went in to windows, and clicked chkdsk exe. This is what I got,but nothing in event log. I don't know if its working right or not. It used to do 5 checks, and then show in event log as winlogen.[garybear]

I get the blue screen after restart. Message says check file system on C. NFTS .Windows has finished,or some thing in that order. It only stays on for a few seconds. Also says can not open volume. Won't let me screen print, and I'm to old and dumb to remember all it says. I get nothing in event log. I don't know about msconfig. Do I need to change any thing there?? Maybe I should just for get this, doesn't seem to be causing me any problems. Many thanks to you solbjerg. Live well my friend. [garybear]

Hi gary

If you write msconfig in Run that will tell you quite a bit about your computer.

In the first tab general you ought to have Normal (or perhaps it says default) startup, you can view the other tabs too, but do not change anything before we have ascertained how your settings are!

If nothing has been changed just leave the window by clicking cancel or by clicking on the red cross in the right hand upper corner.

If you can't provide some screenshots I guess we are kind of stuck.

Cheers

solbjerg

I get the blue screen after restart. Message says check file system on C. NFTS .Windows has finished,or some thing in that order. It only stays on for a few seconds. Also says can not open volume. Won't let me screen print, and I'm to old and dumb to remember all it says. I get nothing in event log. I don't know about msconfig. Do I need to change any thing there?? Maybe I should just for get this, doesn't seem to be causing me any problems. Many thanks to you solbjerg. Live well my friend. [garybear]

Hi gary

Looks just like mine except for the boot.ini window

there I have / fastdetect/ NoExecute=Optin (yours is the other way round).

But let's hear what others have to say about that!

Before trying to change anything

Cheers

solbjerg

Sorry I dont' know whats been changed. Here's screen shots.

Archived