IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Do I need seperate anti-virus software?

I'm using Malware Fighter (Free), but I'm a bit confused about what exactly it cleans and whether that includes 'viruses'. There are so many terms flying around nowadays, I'm not sure if a virus actually IS Malware and therefore, whether MF cleans viruses. If it does, why is Avast being offered along with MFPro?

The reason I ask is because I've had AVG running on my machine for the past year but it was becoming very naggy and causing problems so I deleted it and replaced it wth MF. Since I wasn't sure if I was protected, I put Avast Free on my machine aswell but that's even more naggy and constantly throwing up pop-up windows, plus it's not actually free after a month anyway.

So, am I ok with MF for my security or will I need other software?

Yes, We All would like Answers to Those questions! :roll:

None of the Security software developers, I've contacted, will provide Good and Complete answers to those questions

about what Malware is covered by their programs. :cry:

But I can sort-of understand why, since New ones are being created so Often, and it's difficult for them to keep-up with the Latest.

FYI- the term 'Malware' covers all of the many types of:

viruses, trojans, worms, hijackers, spyware, etc.

But 'Malware' security-software does Not Block all types of Malware

Since one security-program alone may not block all malware,

I like to have two proven security-programs running at same time.

But effectively, when it says it protects against Malware, that should theoretically include viruses? Whereas, software which protects against viruses isn't really claiming to protect against stuff such as spyware or keyloggers?

I understand what you're saying though. Although the term Malware includes every malicious infection, it's unlikely to ever protect against everything out there, so having two is just good common sense?

I'm considering getting Pro because I really like Iobit software and I'd like it to automatically update itself. And then I get Avast pro free for a year too so I guess that should mean I'm covered. Although I'm tempted to think I'm covered already :razz:

it's unlikely to ever protect against everything out there, so having two is just good common sense?

[/qUOTE]

Yes, that is Correct, even though there are some people that disagree with that, I think it's 'Better to be Safe than Sorry'. :grin:

As long as you have a fast enough computer that can handle two running

and they are compatible with each other, which most of them Are.

Hi Farflamex, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

Perhaps a little bit of clarification here is needed.

Please read whole of Do I need to keep both programs? thread and Cicely's comment at the last post of the thread.

IMF is not an antivirus software but an antimalware/antispyware software and it should be used together with an antivirus software such as Avast or other known antivirus softwares.

IObit is going to have it's own antivirus software if they decide to release the final version of Advanced SystemCare with Antivirus Beta 1.0, after Beta phase.

Some users may only use ASC PRO, since you need to uninstall Advanced SystemCare (even if it is PRO) if you want to install ASC w A/V, they may not want to use ASC w A/V, therefore, bonus Avast Pro together with IMF PRO can be a good combination.

I know that Toppack uses more than 1 Antivirus software in a PC, but this is a NO NO if you ask it to Security Experts.

This has been an ongoing discussion here for a long time in this forum. Unfortunatelly, I don't agree with Toppack on this subject and I am a believer that using more than 1 antivirus software is not the correct way of utilizing security issue in a PC.

BTW, I must agree that occasionally there are cases (such as Toppack) that no negative effect is detected using more than 1 A/V software in a PC.

The configuration and the combination of all programs may play a role there.

Personally, I do not use more than 1 Antivirus program in a PC, but use realtime antimalware softwares such as IMF PRO together with an Antivirus program. You can use other antimalware/spyware software together with those, but it is better that they are used on demand, not real-time.

You can find Glossary of some Malware Terms: in THIS post in USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS thread .

Cheers.

Thanks for the answers guys. I'll put AVG back on my PC and try to find out how it was setup before to not keep nagging me to pay. It came with my PC so I might have a license for it, although I can't find any with my original documents and disks.

Alternatively, is there a FREE anti-virus which doesn't stop working after 30 days and/or nagging for upgrades?

Yes, I can only say that we personally have never had a problem running two security-programs, on any of our many computers,

and we also have Never had any Malware infections.

So, if it works, which it Does, I can consider Myself to be an 'Expert' Also.:lol:

AVG Free is a Very Good security program, we use it along with MSE on three of our systems.

What you have is the Trial-version, not the Free version

I think this download site is Free AVG version, not the Trial version:

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2012/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

Thanks for the link to the free version. For some reason, I never realised there was a free version or a trial version. Doesn't really make much sense to me, but at least I know now :)

Can't get it to install due to some error, but I'll get my IoBit stuff to clean up any old installs and all should be fine. If not, I'll go hunt a free Avast version!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll keep my eyes open for the Iobit upgrades cuz I'm still a major fan of Iobit software. Does a great job and doesn't hassle me or slow down my PC, so hopefully I'll be able to do this all with Iobit stuff in the future!

I have been using avast! AIS, IMF Pro and SAS Pro together for a couple of years, first on W7 then W8-DP and now W8-CP. I have never had a compatibility problem that I am aware of. Each one has identified and blocked or removed malware the other two have missed.

Salute!

I have been using avast! AIS, IMF Pro and SAS Pro together for a couple of years, first on W7 then W8-DP and now W8-CP. I have never had a compatibility problem that I am aware of. Each one has identified and blocked or removed malware the other two have missed.
Thanks for that Buddahfan,

I feel so 'Alone and Hurt' when Enoskype 'Beats me up' like that.

:lol:

Hi Toppack the "Expert" 8:) :-D,

Let's make it clear that I am not a security expert. I only advocate what I have read from security experts about security.:razz:

Do you see more than 1 antivirus program in Buddahfan's quote above? :-P

Using 2 antimalware (not antivirus) programs is not a NO NO even if both are realtime! :lol:

Cheers.

Hi Toppack the "Expert" 8:)

Do you see more than 1 antivirus program in Buddahfan's quote above? :-P

I thought at least 3 of them were considered Anti-virus programs. :shock:

If not, What Good are they ??? ;-)

We do not use any of those, so That is why I am Not an 'Expert'. :lol:

I know the programs We use Are All Anti-virus programs, though. 8-)

Which are: AVG & MSE

and Stopzilla & MSE

(presently)

I had Avast on one, and it was good, but changed to AVG, when I installed W-7

Yo ho ho, and a bottle of Rum! Fifteen men on a dead man's chest...

So, if it works, which it Does, I can consider Myself to be an 'Expert' Also.
I thought at least 3 of them were considered Anti-virus programs.

If not, What Good are they ???

We do not use any of those, so That is why I am Not an 'Expert'.

Hello Not an "Expert"! :lol:

Toppack, c'mon, make your decision!!!

Avast=AIS=Avast Internet Security =>A/V software :idea:

IMF Pro=IObit Malware Fighter Pro=>Not A/V software :idea:

SAS Pro=SUPERAntiSpyware Pro=>Not A/V software :idea:

Last 2 are very good antimalware/spyware programs. :razz:

Cheers.:wink:

It seems to me that having More than 2 Security programs running,

wheather they are A/V or Not, would 'Really' Slow-down the Browser? :cry:

I know having 2 A/Vs running slows it a Little.

Of course it depends on how fast the computer is, if you would notice it much.

Hi guys,

Nobody is beating anybody up here. I happen to agree with Enoskype on this despite my having left training to take care of family. All you need is a(singular) excellent A/V software accompanied by other less intrusive anti malware softwares. Then on top of that you also should run an occasional online scan (no name mentioned... not mentioning products here).

But of course you are eliminating much of the garbage (and maximizing speed) anyway through your browser and simple cleaning tasks.

Certainly you are managing your start-uo processes.

AVG is good software but system heavy.

MSE is good software (Microsoft finally got it right ... YAY)

They will both slow your machine individually a tad... run them both and you will be running a marathon (even if they appear to be nice to each other) At the end of a marathon all the runners are slow, even the winner.

Sincerely.

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I use Bitdefender as a main A/V and then I use ASC's A/M right now and they seem to be going good, and a bonus is that they both use the same definition database :).

Now Anti Malware programs, are for Malware and spyware not the big virus's that deal a lot of damage.

Anti virus software usually have a bigger database and there scanners are more powerful and look for bigger viruses that may cause a lot of damage.

For example two main viruses that are causing mayhem everywhere are RAT's and Java Driveby's. Both as identical but both use different programming languages. JDB's are run through a java applet and RAT's( Remote access trojans) are run from a .exe mainly C#, C++. These two programs are somthing an Anti-Malware program just aren't going to catch. This is because of the encryption the two virus's use.

Anyways, I hope this answers your question.

Archived