IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Cannot delete .mky files

Hi Guys, Love Gm3 Beta, recorded some files, directed to my Desktop which auto made FPS folder, great! But cannot delete them, when right clicking on he file or even the main folder it will not delete, just hangs "Recycling... zzzz" please help?

Also tried a file shredder program but that just crashes.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum :smile:

Is Game Booster fully closed when you try to delete them? If not close it and see if that helps.

I have had problems in the past trying to delete some .MKV files (but not all), they seem to attach themselves to some software and won't let go.

IObit Unlocker:

I haven't used .MKV for a long time so I haven't tried IObit Unlocker to delete a stuck .MKV file but I know IObit Unlocker works well so there is a good chance it will delete it.

Worth a try I think :smile:

http://majorgeeks.com/IObit_Unlocker_d6839.html

Safe Mode:

You could try starting your computer in Safe Mode and then deleting them, I suggest a full delete not to the Recycle Bin which is done by holding down the Shift key while deleting.

All the best, woz of oz

Thanks Guys for your suggestions. Nope still will not work, even in Safe mode it hangs... Calculating...

Bummer! Even tried shredding the files but that crashes!

Love GB3 but this is really putting me off..

Did you try IObit Unlocker ?

If IObit Unlocker doesn't work:

• Do a Clean Uninstall of Game Booster

• Restart your computer

• Try deleting the MKV files again

• Restart your computer

• Do a fresh install of Game Booster

For details on how to do a Clean Uninstall see This Post

Screenshots are in This Post

All the best, woz of oz

Thanks woz of oz, nope that did not work but think its my end, I tried renaming the files to .txt to see what happens then it crashes again, right clicking on the files to see Proprieties crashes again, think it might be my end.

Even in safe mode rename the files results in Not responding. Properties Not responding.... stummmpueddd!

Will try and make a new video using default GB3 directory and try and delete that and see what happens.

Report back soon..

Hi again

I searched around and found this thread Unable to Delete a .mkv Video File at the Windows 7 Forums with a few suggestions, I would try these simple ones first

Do you have DivX installed?

I had the same problem with 3 duplicate video files on my system. All i did was to see which was the last software which would effect my video files and it was new Divx and once i uninstalled it and restarted the computer. I was able to delete all three .mkv files.

Do you have the MKV file in a folder that has a thumbnail preview? This might cause it to be always "in use"

The reason it does that is, the windows explorer uses some files to generate preview in the explorer it self.

Go to:

-Desired Folder

-*drop menu* Tools > Folder Options > View > Always show icons, never thumbnails.

Check that box.

-Click "Apply, or OK"

Then try to delete the file, it will most probably be the case with DIVX which uses the file to generate the view from mkv files but fails to so it ends up with the file permanently opened.

(if that doesnt work then try the same method but after clicking OK, terminate the explorer from Task manager "Ctrl+Shift+Esc" and dont open the folder that your file is located, then open cmd from the new task menu under file and locate the folder then delete the file from there command: del "filename.mkv")

Another suggestion in the thread Can't delete this MKV file at Microsoft Answers that uses Everything Search instead of Windows Explorer to delete the file.

First, I downloaded a freeware desktop seach proggy called "Everything". It's available with a standard windows installer or as a portable executable. After installing the program, I searched for the offending MKV file as a wild card ( *.mkv ). When the file appeared in the Everything search window, I right clicked on it and the properties box appeared. Why it wouldn't appear through Windows Explorer I can't image. Anyway, in the properties window I selected the "General" tab and then clicked the "Advanced" button. Next, I un-ticked all boxes that had a check mark. In my case there were two. I then exited properties clicking the "OK" button. Finally, I right clicked on the offending file within the Everything results window and selected "delete" from the context menu. As if by magic, the file immediately went to the recycle bin. Problem solved! Hope it works for you.

Good luck

All the best, woz of oz

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: Delete duplicate files

Hi Guys, Love Gm3 Beta, recorded some files, directed to my Desktop which auto made FPS folder, great! But cannot delete them, when right clicking on he file or even the main folder it will not delete, just hangs "Recycling... zzzz" please help?

Also tried a file shredder program but that just crashes.

Thanks in advance.

Just download '>Duplicate Files Deleter<'.It gets to work scanning your folders for duplicate files. Be a little patient as this may take a while. At the end of this stage you will have the whole list of original and duplicate files right in front of you. You will be shown the file, the size and the modification dates of the original files and the duplicates. You have to go through the list a little carefully, as the original and duplicate files are displayed one after another.Press delete afterwards.Thanks.

EDIT:

Ad links are forbidden in this forum and a banning offense!

Link de-linked.

First and last warning!!!

Spammer (BANNED) SFS report

Archived