IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SD not starting in W8

poxyvuze

Hi mates!

It's me again. I clean installed my PC with Windows 8 Release Preview 2 days ago. I just noticed that Smart Defrag v2.4 is no longer starting up automatically. I double-checked everything. Startups, services and even the the settings of the program. Whenever I tick on the check box "Load automatically at Windows startup (Recommended), clicked "Apply" and "OK", I tnever does the trick. The box goes back to being unchecked again. Any bright ideas or experience about this weird phenomena (lol)?

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi poxyvuze

I think I would try a chkdsk (check disk).

When that is done I think I would go to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\IObit\Smart Defrag 2 and open the config file and check if start with Windows showed a = 1 which means that it will.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi mates!

It's me again. I clean installed my PC with Windows 8 Release Preview 2 days ago. I just noticed that Smart Defrag v2.4 is no longer starting up automatically. I double-checked everything. Startups, services and even the the settings of the program. Whenever I tick on the check box "Load automatically at Windows startup (Recommended), clicked "Apply" and "OK", I tnever does the trick. The box goes back to being unchecked again. Any bright ideas or experience about this weird phenomena (lol)?

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Cheers!

HI solbjerg

Chkdsk found some problems and reported that it's already fixed. However, the config file's "StartWithWindows" is set to 0. I still have the same problem. It doesn't save my setting to load automatically at startup, I even tried to manually replace the value to "1"and saved it. Unfortunately, it reverted back to "0".

Note: The File location is: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\IObit\Smart Defrag 2

Thanks!

Hi poxyvuze

Perhaps a clean install may help.

I would try choosing the wanted setting in my SD settings first and then check if it the config file had registered that. If not I would definitely try a clean install.

You are using Windows 8 while I only use Windows XP this I suppose account for our different location names - and I do not know what it is called in either W Vista, W7 or W8, sorry.

Cheers

solbjerg

HI solbjerg

Chkdsk found some problems and reported that it's already fixed. However, the config file's "StartWithWindows" is set to 0. I still have the same problem. It doesn't save my setting to load automatically at startup, I even tried to manually replace the value to "1"and saved it. Unfortunately, it reverted back to "0".

Note: The File location is: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\IObit\Smart Defrag 2

Thanks!

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just did a clean install and it gave me no luck in fixing the problem. I'll be using an alternative defragmenter in the meantime and will wait until IObit comes up with a resolution.

Cheers!

Hi poxyvuze

Does W8 have a function that saves your settings?

Did you use IObit Uninstaller or Revo to uninstall SD in advanced mode? Prior to installing a fresh version.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just did a clean install and it gave me no luck in fixing the problem. I'll be using an alternative defragmenter in the meantime and will wait until IObit comes up with a resolution.

Cheers!

HI!

I believe it saves the settings. I have other programs installed and they are doing fine as expected. SD is the only program that doesn't run on startup. I also made sure that there are no traces of SD prior to the clean install. I believe the program needs some hotfixes. to be fully compatible with W8. Am I the only one having this problem?

Thanks!

I believe the program needs some hotfixes. to be fully compatible with W8. Am I the only one having this problem?

Thanks!

I think there is only one other person, who uses W-8-beta, that sometimes visits this website.

Hi poxyvuce

Does W8 have a build in defragmentation that is good and fast?

Cheers

solbjerg

HI!

I believe it saves the settings. I have other programs installed and they are doing fine as expected. SD is the only program that doesn't run on startup. I also made sure that there are no traces of SD prior to the clean install. I believe the program needs some hotfixes. to be fully compatible with W8. Am I the only one having this problem?

Thanks!

Hi poxyvuze

Open your command prompt

It will open with this :

C:\Document&Settings\administrator< (perhaps you use your user name instead)

(directly behind < you write cd /Windows\system32 and hit enter

you will get: c:\Windows\system32< behind that you first write regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll

Repeat the process ending with regsvr32 dfrgui.dll

That should make your built in defragmenter work.

If it doesn't find windows\inf folder and in that folder find dfrg.info - right click that file and click install.

Please inform me if it works by you!

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. the commands in the command prompt must be written precisely - don't forget the spaces either :-) (cd means change directory)

I have researched about it. I can find the exe of the native windows defragmenter in the system folders. However, it does not work. That's the reason I badlu need a 3rd party disk defragmenter in my PC.

Hi poxyvuze

Sorry I didn't think about you having Win8 (I have XP) - what you should do is find the location of the files mentioned and insert that address instead (if they are called the same in Win8), I think.

Or perhaps just try to activate the defrag.inf file to see if that is enough. (if that is called the same and located the same place)

Make a search for the files mentioned please.

If you make it work then please restart your computer

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. In regard to a third party defragmenters, there are many out there, if you don't mind paying for it Diskkeeper is very good.

By the way when you did the clean install - did you then manually clean the registry for any item related to SmarDefrag, and inadvertently delete a needed file??

@ Toppack - we apparently wrote the same at the same time. :-)

I am sorry to disappoint you but the steps you provided did not work. I have attached a screenshot for reference.

Cheers!

Hi poxyvuze,

Sorry to hear that you encounter troubles. Please kindly help us look into it.

Please confirm that you have clicked the "Apply" button after you tick the item "Load automatically at window startup".

Then, please check whether there is a file SmartDefrag_startup under C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tasks and please check the value of StartWithWindows again.

Thanks in advance!:smile:

Hi Cicely!

It's been a while.

I made sure that the Apply button is clicked. SmartDefrag_startup has never been present in the Tasks folder and StartWithWindows is always 0. It even reverts back to 0 even if I change it to 1 and saved it. To simplify it, SD never saves the settings in W8. I am already losing hopes and I guess it's a total compatibility issue with W8. I hope there's a fix for this. I badly want to have boot defrag and proactive defragmenter that does its job automatically.

Thanks and cheers! :roll:

Hi poxyvuze,

Thanks for your feedback. Our engineers are working on this issue.

Please check whether the service "Task Scheduler" is enabled or not.

Please locate and open the Services window by typing services.msc in the Start Screen.

Thanks in advance!:smile:

• 3 weeks later...

@jaring0002

As always (with my experience), they have already forwarded the issue to their engineers. Until now, some of my problems were not fixed. I already uninstalled and deleted all traces of IObit products from my computer. :cry:

Hi poxyvuze and jaring0002,

We are sorry for the delay of reply. We have forwarded the issue to our engineers and we have done the tests. But, we can not reproduce the issue. So please kindly further help us look into the issue.

1) Please let us know what other programs on your PC.

2) Please go to the Task Scheduler to check whether a task called SmartDefrag_Startup created successfully.

Thanks in advance!:-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Toppack,

SD 2.5 is released after the last post of Cicely in this thread. (July 5th versus July 4th.)

Please see the changelog for v 2.5 HERE:

What's new in v2.5 :

--------------------------

+ Added support for Windows 8 Release Preview

+ Improved UI

+ Updated language file

* Fixed general bugs

Cheers.

Archived