IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Folders messed up

dynocat

Last week I lost my external back up drive data. I signed up for Rackspace and am using it with JungleDisk Workgroup software. Somewhere along the line, I messed up things big time.

I now have some folders that are empty that I can't delete because I get a message saying they are "windows system" folders. If they are I have no idea how they got that way, other than my own bumbling around.

1st problem:

Opening a document in Word or Excel, the Open command brings up the folder, “blank.” Windows thinks this is the “My Documents” folder. It isn’t. “blank” is a folder I made in error. I'm not able to delete it because it says it is a windows system folder.

I made another “My Documents” folder under C:\\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents. That one has my directories and files in it and is the one I want to use.

I'm not sure that is even where the My Documents folder belongs, so that may be part of my problem. It shows up under the username but not under Shared. Does that matter since I am the only user?

I assume I have to get windows to recognize the right (2nd) one before it will let me delete the "blank” one? How would I do that?

2nd related problem:

I have another empty folder called, OLD My Documents, that shows up in Windows Explorer under Desktop. I deleted the icon off my desktop, but it still shows up in Explorer. Viewing Properties it reads "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\blank." Windows shows it in "blank" (problem #1). How can I get rid of that folder?

I did a deep scan, rebooted and it hasn't changed.

This is a single user PC running Windows XP Home SP3 with ASC IObit 5.1.0.

Any and all ideas are most welcome. I am definitely over my head here.

Hi dynocat,

Correction may not be as simple as it seems! :!:

I would Run,

1) Sfc /scannow

and

2) chkdsk /F

You can find instructions in the forum and Google for those commands.

After using both see if everything runs fine.

If all is OK, you can use Empty Folder Scanner program in Toolbox of ASC5 and/or IObit Unlocker to delete the folders, but make sure that non-empty similar folders exist and files in them run normally.

There is the availability of a file assosiation program, but try the above first.

Cheers.

Thanks for the quick response.

I started with the Sfc /scannow. It told me to insert my Win XP cd. The only one I have is

Operating System Already Installed on Your Computer

Reinstallation CD

Recovery Media for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Product Service Pack 3.

A box came up saying it was not the correct CD. It is the only one I have. Would it be because the CD prompted a menu screen with various options where I wasn't sure what to choose.

Please use one of the programs that reveal informaatin about your PC, so some other User in the Forum maay help.

It is very hard to guide without knowing the exaact configuration of your PC.

Perhaps, you could provide us the options menu provided by the CD too.

Cheers.

Archived