IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

What makes c-drive fragmented after reboot?

sweidre

After a reboot I always had to do a manual defrag of my c-drive, when the CPU has gone done to a minimum. The Autodefrag in SmartDefrag is now doing this for me! But what makes the c-drive so heavily fragmented in the first place after a reboot or after a shutdown + startup?

Hi sweidre,

I have been reading your suggestions, and they are very useful, please keep on going.

Your question does not have a simple answer, but reading the posts in thread Think about Defragmentation!!! in Lounge section of the Forum may reveal some answers to the complexity of fragmentation/defragmentation phenomenon.

Thank you and cheers.

Still unwilling to let go of those gutter-trash-like files, eh?

After a reboot I always had to do a manual defrag of my c-drive, when the CPU has gone done to a minimum. The Autodefrag in SmartDefrag is now doing this for me! But what makes the c-drive so heavily fragmented in the first place after a reboot or after a shutdown + startup?

Have you done your Clean Disk task, yet:?:

In your case, you should use the second tab of intensive care for your heavily filled with clutter-like files onto that Hard-Drive.:idea:

Then, use Windows' feature defragger to defragment it first. Before using the 'Defrag and Optimize' mode of ISD 1.0.

:-P

What makes c-drive fragmented after reboo?

Hi Luc J Patenaude,

Thanks for your reply! I have many softwares, that reduces clutters, cookies, temporary internet files, internet history, passwords, index.dat files etc. from my c-drive. After running those softwares, and running Smart Defrag v.1.0 a couple of times, I get no red blocks and fragmentation = 0 %. Then I reboot or shutdown + startup, and when I run Smart Defrag again, my c-drive looks heavily fragmented with many red blocks, but the fragmentation is only = 0,04% in fact! My word: heavily is OK, if I look ar the number of red blocks only, but the fragmentation = 0,04 % is very small in fact ( ignorable ).

So my conclusion is, that the reboot only causes a slight fragmentation! ( In my original post the word heavily should have been slightly instead! ( In my mind, a reboot should not cause any further fragmentation at all! )

You mentioned Clean Disk! I found CleanDisk & Clean Disk, but both were sharewares! In my mind, I have enough with CleanUp softwares ( both freewares, but also sharewares ). Do you think, that it is necessary to buy one of those two?

What makes c-drive fragmented after reboot?

Hi Luc J Patenaude again,

I saw your post on the thread: "Focusing on External Drives: 2 suggestions", where you mentioned "Windows function of Clean Disk". I have a file in Win XP called "Diskrensning" in Swedish ( must be equal to "Disk Cleaning" in English ). The path to it is: C:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe! A shorcut of this file I have on my list of Cleanup files, and I use it every day!

Here's the proper link to use for that Windows' HD Feature.

Hi Luc J Patenaude again,

I saw your post on the thread: "Focusing on External Drives: 2 suggestions", where you mentioned "Windows function of Clean Disk". I have a file in Win XP called "Diskrensning" in Swedish ( must be equal to "Disk Cleaning" in English ). The path to it is: C:\windows\system32\cleanmgr.exe! A shorcut of this file I have on my list of Cleanup files, and I use it every day!

Please, Go to Start Logo for your Start menu then, click onto the folder called: 'Accessories' + 'System Tools' and, now, you should see rather 'Clean Disk' or 'Disk Cleanup'.:smile:

I currently use Win. Vista Home Premium + SP1(2007) + all of 2008's major and minor Updates and Upgrades. So, for me, I do not have to do this long search every time. I is already pinned up in the Start Menu list of express launch links. And, it is called Disk Cleanup for Vista. It should be, still, called Clean Disk for your ancient O.S. of Win. XP(2001) + SP1(2003) + SP2(2004).:roll:

As to get the latest service pack for XP, goto http://www.microsoft.com then, click onto Download Center. From there, in the most popular downloads, you should see the XP-SP3 link for reaching the download page for it. Furthermore, you will be asked to download a special program as to determine if, you have a true and genuine copy of windows.

Once, you get to the pop-up window for which course of action to use for downloading and auto. install the SP3: click onto the 'Run' option button. You may be asked to close all other programs already running(Foreground Apps. only). Just follow the instructions during the install wizard process(click 'next' most of the time).

There, that should bring you to 2007's time period. Do Windows Update again for the massive amount of late 2007 and, all of 2008' other updates and upgrades. You might have to reboot a lot of times before, all is done.

Did you update/upgrade your Hard-Drive's driver since you bought your PC?

That could fix this constant fragmentation of files at a, constant reboot of your machine. My Computer/Device Driver Manager/Disk Drives/C: main Hard-Drive/Driver Tab and, click Update Driver, then, Let Windows search the web for the best driver for your hardware.

From here, let me know, if you encountered more, of these, I.T. road bumps.

:wink:

Archived