IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Auto-Defrag not working?-Disk usage 43%

I have Dell Laptop. XP-3 and installed Smart Defrag a week ago.

I 'activated' Auto Defrag set resources at 70% and delay to 1 minute. The system has yet to 'auto-defrag' even though the computer has been idle for

5-6 hours at a time.

However, the Disk usage shows a constant 43 +/- 1%. I have no idea why this is being 'used'; noithing in the Task Manager indicates such.

I have another laptop, with the same OS and installed SmartDefrag at the same time. It has 'autodefraged' (lately just today); The disk usage on this laptop is 3-4% max.

Any suggestions/help?

How does auto-defrag work?

Does anyone know how this facet of Smart-Defrag works?

Will the fact that disk usage shows 43% and the CPU literally none affect whether auto-defrag will work at all?

If not, I will stop looking for the culprit(s) responsible for my disk usage being high while the cpu usage is extremely low.

I have two laptops here, both Dells, both with XP-3 installed, both have the same options selected, yet one executes the auto-defrag correctly, the other does not. The only difference I see is that the one that does not work has this high disc usage factor when the cpu is amlost idle.

Hi Polaris6,

Have you tried to find out what makes the Disk Usage high, in Task Manager?

GoTo:

Task Manager=>click "Processes" tab=>click "View"=>click "Select Columns"=>check the checkbox of "I/O Write Bytes" and I/O "Read Bytes"=>click "OK"=>click "I/O Write Bytes" column to bring the largest number to top=>see which processes are reading and writing.

Compare two laptops. There must be a process or more than one process causing high Disk usage in one of your laptops.

I would try with killing those couple of processes with the highest I/O Write Byte & I/O Read Byte changes (among the highest numbers) and see if SD auto defrags.

My guess is that SD is also monitoring Disk Usage in Automatic Mode.

I have a similar situation in one of the laptops of mine, and the reason is certain processes, but not related to SD.

Cheers.

AutoDefrag

Here it is...

Laptop on which AutoDefrag works....

I/O Read I/O Write

rtvscan sys 1.3G 1.1G

avgrsx " 1.3G 129M

svchost " 95M 84M

avgsmc " 107M 72M

sys " 131M 37M

lsass " 25M 27M

explorer user 87M 21M

Laptop on which AutoDefrag DOES NOT work

avgrsx sys 134K 113M

explorer " 123K 21M

svchost sys 99K 18M

IE Explorer user 65K 14M

msimn " 158K 9M

ccapp " 2K 4M

Polaris,

Thanks for the values, but I/O Write Byte and I/O Read Byte not I/O Write and I/O Read .

Since they are dynamically changing, you should watch and see the change, and act accordingly killing the respective proceses and trying after to Auto defrag with SD.

Unfortunatelly, I can't see and decide which to kill for trying, if there is no real time movie file!!!

lewwarren,

Try the same method described in post #3 and/or apply for CPU if there is high CPU usage.

Did you see the Tip in this post?

Cheers.

Archived