IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Silent Install

Mr Been

• 5 months later...

Silent installation and configuration

I determined how to do an unattended installation and configuration of Start Menu 8.

To install silently, use the command:

• start "SM8" /wait "X:\Path_to_Start_Menu_8\startmenu-setup.exe" /silent

Once the program is installed, it automatically opens the configuration window. To close it, use the command:

• taskkill /im StartMenuSetting.exe /f

The installer also places a shortcut to the configuration window on the desktop. To remove it, use the command:

• del "%SystemDrive%\Users\Public\Desktop\Start Menu 8.lnk"

The configuration for Start Menu 8 is stored in an .ini file. To pre-configure defaults for Start Menu 8 for all users on a system (assuming local profiles), configure Start Menu 8 to the settings you want to be at the default for everyone.

Then go to "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8". You will find a file called Main.ini.

Copy that file to C:\Users\Default\AppData\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8. You will need to create some of the directories.

Now, the first time someone logs on to a system, the configuration file will be copied to their profile.

Silent installation script

Here is a sample cmd (batch) script that can be used to silently install and configure Start Menu 8. It assumes an installation path of I:\Software\StartMenu8, and that you have already preconfigured your desired settings and copied Main.ini to that location.

rem
rem Create configuration file for logged in user
rem
mkdir "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow"
mkdir "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\IObit"
mkdir "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8"
copy "I:\Software\StartMenu8\Main.ini" "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8"
rem
rem Create configuration file for users who log in for the first time
rem by placing config file in default user profile
rem
mkdir "%SystemDrive%\Users\Default\AppData\LocalLow"
mkdir "%SystemDrive%\Users\Default\AppData\LocalLow\IObit"
mkdir "%SystemDrive%\Users\Default\AppData\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8"
copy "I:\Software\StartMenu8\Main.ini" "%SystemDrive%\Users\Default\AppData\LocalLow\IObit\StartMenu 8"
rem
rem Install StartMenu 8
rem
start "SM8" /wait "I:\Software\StartMenu8\startmenu-setup.exe" /silent
rem
rem Close the post-installation configuration process.
rem
taskkill /im StartMenuSetting.exe /f
rem
rem Delete the icon on the All Users desktop.
rem
del "%SystemDrive%\Users\Public\Desktop\Start Menu 8.lnk"

Hi TomEcom, welcome to IObit Forum! :-D

Thanks for your work for silent installation of Start Menu 8.

Since the default installation folder of Start Menu 8 is C:\Program Files\IObit\Start Menu 8 for (x32) systems, so I hope the installation folder that you mention is not misunderstood by the users.

Can you please elaborate that for the users.

BTW, I have allocated more lines for the code to be seen as a whole. ;-)

Cheers.

Archived