IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How to organise menu items

gfmoore

I'm probably being really thick here, but how do you organise the display of programs?

Drag and drop isn't implemented - fair enough

I looked for the All Programs folder, but couldn't find it. Is there a place where you store what is displayed so that I can edit it to my own personal liking?

BTW Your captcha images for registration really are hard!!

App seems like a god send :)

Hi gfmoore,

Welcome to the forum.

Here are a couple of work-arounds to pin an item to your Start Menu:

1) drag an icon/shortcut from the desktop and drop it onto the StartMenu8 start button

2) from the All Programs menu if you first open the program you want to have pinned to the Start Menu it will then show on the Frequently used programs list of the Start Menu, now if you right click on it you will see Pin to Start Menu.

However, using either of the above methods not only pins it to the Start Menu but also pins the shortcut to the top part of the All Programs menu as well. And removing (deleting) it from the top part of the All Programs menu also removes it from its pinned position on the Start Menu.

Regarding how to "organize the display of programs" the only way I am aware of is by going into StartMenu8 | Settings | User Interface and next to "Frequently used programs" you can choose either "Sort by name" or "Sort by last access time".

However it not only sorts the Frequently used programs according to your choice, but also sorts the Pinned programs that way as well.

As to the ordering of the All Programs menu of programs, I think it is a matter of what you see is what you get. ;-)

As best I know, the above applies to StartMenu8 v.1.0.0.564.

regards,

Laurence

Is it possible to sort Recent Items by most-recently-accessed instead of alphabetically? The list becomes so large that it becomes unwieldy and not usable.

Regards

Hi PapaDon,

As far as sorting goes, presently we have two choices: right mouse button click on the StartMenu8 start button, click on 'Settings' then 'User Interface'; immediately to the right of "Frequently used programs" you can choose either "Sort by name" or "Sort by last access time".

"Sort by name" sorts alphabetically and "Sort by last access time" places the most recently opened item at the top of the list (regardless of its spelling).

I agree: StartMenu8's start menu in its present form can indeed grow quite tall as more items are pinned to it, and/or as more items are being added to its frequently used programs list. Perhaps a fix will come. (Fingers are crossed, and that's why it is so difficult to type. ;-))

regards,

Laurence

Recent Items not sorted by time.

Thank you Laurence.

Just to clarify, I was referring to the "Recent Items" menu and not the "Frequently Used Programs" window.

This is the best start button I have used with Win8. I will look for future upgrades to make it even better.

Dave P.

Thank you Laurence.

Just to clarify, I was referring to the "Recent Items" menu and not the "Frequently Used Programs" window.

This is the best start button I have used with Win8. I will look for future upgrades to make it even better.

Dave P.

Hi Dave P.,

My mistake: sorry about that.

I too am looking forward to Start Menu 8 updates to see what further refinements and enhancements it may bring our way.

regards,

Laurence

Speaking of when the Recent Items menu heading is enabled to "Show as a menu", must the following two folder shortcuts show in its listing? The two folders show as: "AutomaticDestinat" and "CustomDestinat"

C:\Users\<xxx>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

and

C:\Users\<xxx>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

regards,

Laurence

• 2 months later...

Need to support drag-and-drop of list items, faster displays of branched menu items, show the run button (have it enabled in settings but it doesn't show), show icons in task bar, etc, if you want Start Menu 8 to actually BE a Windows 8 shell replacement...:roll:

Archived